Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Newbie Question: Speakers & Amp for Bedroom DJ?

• 01-09-2007 7:45pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys.

I'm crazy into my music, and mad into my sounds with quality being pretty important to me. When it comes to Car Audio I know quite a lot - however, when it comes to home audio / hi-fi - really I'm pretty clueless.

Basically, I'm an avid bedroom dj and have just got a new DJ setup, I now need to match it with a decent set of spekers. I want something of decent quality for my bedroom, but occiaionally I have small parties in the house. Is it possible to get speakers what will be loud enough to whack out thumping in a small/medium room full of people...

So, I've really no idea where to start. What should I be aiming for? Do I get bookshelf or floor standing speakers? What wattage? Amp? I am in no rush so I think I might try to keep an eye on ebay and hope pick up a bargain. I've no fixed budget, it depends on what I see. I might spend more if I get somehting that really would be an investment - a quality setup I'll have for years etc.

I took a look on ebay and saw these: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Pure-Acoustics-SD76-500-Watts-Speakers-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ180153146378QQihZ008QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - are they suitable? What kind of amp should i be after?

Any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Well, I'm not trying to be funny, but it really depends on how loud you want it to go without being distorted. Don't really do much DJ work but do a fair bit of sound processing and mastering and I have a small set of Wharfedale Valdus speakers which are wonderful. 100W each and a basic amp putting out about 50W per channel IIRC. It's never had to be maxed out, and I'd say I've a bigger than average room. Those speakers are bookshelf sized but I have them on small stands on the floor...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for the advice... I assume the more money I spend, the better quality and louder system I will get, but I need to work out what type of speakers will give give me the most 'bang for the buck'. Can bookshelf speakers be as loud as floor standing ones?

What about these?
    They seem to cheap, or are they good? Review Here looks good... http://800stereo.com/prods/wharf-zaldek-1000.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Bookshelf really only refers to the physical size - small enough to fit on a bookshelf. If loudness is very important, the bigger the better, but don't forget to get an amp that can drive them - no point getting 500W speakers and a 25W amp. I've always liked Wharfedales and bought mine 2nd hand from eBay, but shipping gets hefty on the bigger ones. You probably should set yourself a budget and get the most you can afford for that money. Maybe check out Yamaha gear too, quite often goes fairly cheap but is generally good stuff.

sorry, can't see those links in work here, silly firewall blocks them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

For quality and monitor speakers ,I always think mission speakers are great value.
    http://www.mission.co.uk/model.php?model_id=31&range_id=5&type_id=2&sector_id=1

I use to have mission speakers that ran off a NAD amp ,couldn't ask for better sound.
    All I have of mission now is a denon CD/Radio ,that comes with mission speakers.

Edit : Heres the amp I use to have http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C162-Stereo-Preamplifier

Advertisement