Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice Please

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

bazz26 wrote:
    I can only imagine it is to keep costs down. 1.6 110bhp Mondeo starts at €25k which undercuts the 1.6 115bhp Passat and 1.6 110bhp Avensis.

Bazz is 100% right, as always. You see in Germany the 1.6 Ambiente retails(thats LX for you and me) for €22,500, that has 110PS. The 1.6 LX with 125PS retails for €23,350 or €850 more. (estate version, as the LX is not available in Germany in either saloon or hatchback). In the UK they charge £700 more for the extra 15 poines(Edge version aka LX here). So that would probably mean that would would be paying around €1200 more here for only 15 extra horsepower. What annoys me is that the Trend version in Germany, which is the equivalent of the Zetec one here is only €800 extra(admittedly they don't get alloy wheels and we do). And yet we're charged €2,250 here for it.

what_car wrote:
    so naturally they will take a bigger hit on depreciation as there are much more of them to sell...... i hear that the avensis SOL 2.4 auto is almost saleproof..

Of course it is, who in their right mind would pay €42k for an Avensis:eek: ?

Actually, has anyone seen a 2.4 Avensis around the place? I know I could count on no hands whatsoever the amount of times I've seen a 2.4 Avensis i.e. 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Might be worth seeing if you can order a 1.6 with the 125ps engine. While it isn't advertised as being available here, the 1.8TDCi with 125ps was available in an LX in Ireland (not available officially either).

My 2p worth is - if possible avoid a 1.6 engine in that size of car. I've driven the Passat and Avensis with the 1.6 Petrol and it just doesn't feel right. If you are hanging on to the car for 6 years the extra you'll get in value at the end combined with the fuel saving will probably outweigh the extra initial cost and cost of road tax (if it stays as it is). The 1.8Tdci in the Mondeo is very punchy in 125ps (Zetec, or possibly LX) and I do have a fondness for the mid range acceleration of the VAG 1.9Tdi.

Alternatively - the Passat will be available next year with a 1.4T engine (122ps I think) which is apparently a lot better to drive than the 1.6FSi due to much better torque figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

E92 wrote:

Actually, has anyone seen a 2.4 Avensis around the place? I know I could count on no hands whatsoever the amount of times I've seen a 2.4 Avensis i.e. 0.
    theres one on carzone i mentioned this on an earlier post, and im nearly certain that it was €25,000.yesterday;) ;) . its on sale in a toyota dealers.

i checked it today and noticed the price is now €27950...

...;) i could be wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

E92 wrote:

Tom Hogan in Galway has one:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=383672

To be honest top end models of main stream cars never sell here. 2.5 Mondeo, 2.6 Vectra, 3.0 litre Laguna or C5 pretty much saleproof.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    Tom Hogan in Galway has one:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=383672

To be honest top end models of main stream cars never sell here. 2.5 Mondeo, 2.6 Vectra, 3.0 litre Laguna or C5 pretty much saleproof.

Hasn't that one been on sale for a good few months now?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You are constantly talking up the model virtues, specs, and apparent scarcity of various Toyota models on various threads, so much so that I know far too much about lunas, stratas etc :D
    If you have the time to go back through my posts (I suspect you do) please point out any time I have said a model is scarce or exaggerated the spec on a model when this isn't the case.
    Nothing much wrong with that in itself, but the difference is that you derive your income from selling these same products.
    I'm not selling cars to anyone on this forum,
    I have first hand experience of a good number of different brands of cars that I haven't bought with my own money, (trading them in, to selling them, to covering them on warranty when they break)
    Someone who has experience of a small number of cars that they personally owned for a number of years isn't in as good a position to compare or recommend a particular car over another without either being biassed or uninformed.
    Now if that isn't blatant marketing please explain to me what is? Whilst you are at it how in your circumstances can your opinion on any car be of value?
    I've seen people give opinions on cars based on what they read in tabloid car magazines and on what they heard down the pub. Are these more valid than an opinion I form from experience?

Everybody has preferences for certain brands over others, I have been a fan of Japanese brands before I even started selling cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

While both of ye (Henry Ford III and colm_mcm) are obviously bias. Neither of ye spam too heavily IMO. Usually its balanced with a large dollop of common sense and practical advice. I think its good to hear another view point even if you don't agree with it. Maybe you could start a Top Trumps challenge thread or something?

Theres been a few comments about larger engines vs smaller engines in larger cars. While it should be about relative power, the daft way motor tax, insurance and VRT is weighted probably has a bigger impact on running costs then simply fuel economy. So rather than discuss just the capacity of an engine its more useful to included the relative power outputs, and mpg. As engines abilites vary enormously even if they are similar in capacity.

For what its worth I think the new Octavia is a much nicer car than the older one. Much as I like to exploit the superior driving dynamics of car. Its not always possible on the daily route. So handling might not be all that important. At least once it doesn't handle like a Mk IV Golf anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote:
    If you have the time to go back through my posts (I suspect you do) please point out any time I have said a model is scarce or exaggerated the spec on a model when this isn't the case. I didn't suggest you did. What you do however, perhaps subconsciously, is talk up the Toyota angle. I (and others) have a problem with that, as you clearly have a conflict of interest.

I'm not selling cars to anyone on this forum, Could have fooled me! :D you are constantly trying..."I have a Luna Auris in stock..."
    I have first hand experience of a good number of different brands of cars that I haven't bought with my own money, (trading them in, to selling them, to covering them on warranty when they break)
    Someone who has experience of a small number of cars that they personally owned for a number of years isn't in as good a position to compare or recommend a particular car over another without either being biassed or uninformed. Now I accept this without hesitation. I think your views on non Toyota cars are of value.

I've seen people give opinions on cars based on what they read in tabloid car magazines and on what they heard down the pub. Are these more valid than an opinion I form from experience? No. See above. You completely loose your objectivity however when your own brand comes into the equation

Everybody has preferences for certain brands over others, I have been a fan of Japanese brands before I even started selling cars.
    No problem there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

BostonB wrote:
    While both of ye (Henry Ford III and colm_mcm) are obviously biased.....

Not entirely in my case. I'll talk up Ford's market leading models, Focus, Mondeo,
    S-Max. Less so the Fiesta as the competition in it's class is stronger.

You'll not hear from me about Ka, Galaxy etc. I know little of them.

• Advertisement

I don't really see where you're going with this.
    I think you just have a problem with my choice of brand. I really can't see how you can criticise my recommendation of a particular car if I believe that it should be considered. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a Toyotaphile, but I don't think I have given anyone incorrect information about competing brands to make a brand I prefer look better.
    Are you now going to stop recommending Ford models, even if you believe in them. That would be leading by example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Get a room...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We're all human. We've all got opinions and we're all biased

I've never noticed colm_mcm trying to hide the fact that he sells Toyotas for a living. There are many other posters here on boards, including regulars, who are in the trade. I've no problem with any of that at all, as long as people are not obviously shilling

For the record, HF, what is your association (if any) with Ford?

apologies to OP for hijacking the thread btw!

colm_mcm wrote:
    I don't really see where you're going with this.
    I think you just have a problem with my choice of brand. I really can't see how you can criticise my recommendation of a particular car if I believe that it should be considered. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a Toyotaphile, but I don't think I have given anyone incorrect information about competing brands to make a brand I prefer look better.
    Are you now going to stop recommending Ford models, even if you believe in them. That would be leading by example.

this thread has gone way off topic :D seriously people, when you go to buy a car, who takes a salesmans advice? on what car to buy...
    the op asked about the new mondeo , cashquai and avensis...

to the op... its best to make your own mind up, on what car you want to get, drive a few, dont rush in and buy, or take other peoples views too seriously.... if you are seriously thinking of buying a particular car, hire it out
    for a week to see if really like it that much..... i did that with an E200 komp, and in the end i didnt buy one. ( v hard on juice)..

re the question you asked,
    the mondeo is a nice car, well spec'd and good range of engines.
    the cashquai are selling like hotcakes so there must be something to them.
    avensis , good car but dated and new model due in near future.

if hear that poxy toyota ad on the radio ill crack up altogether.....:p

unkel wrote:
    We're all human. We've all got opinions and we're all biased

I've never noticed colm_mcm trying to hide the fact that he sells Toyotas for a living. There are many other posters here on boards, including regulars, who are in the trade. I've no problem with any of that at all, as long as people are not obviously shilling

For the record, HF, what is your association (if any) with Ford?

My late father worked for them unkel.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I think you just have a problem with my choice of brand.

Nope. I have a major problem with your objectivity in promoting it however. You derive your income from selling them after all.
    colm_mcm wrote:
    I really can't see how you can criticise my recommendation of a particular car if I believe that it should be considered. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a Toyotaphile, but I don't think I have given anyone incorrect information about competing brands to make a brand I prefer look better.

You lack objectivity and are understandably biased, but still biased nonetheless. The bias is a financial one.

colm_mcm wrote:

I have no conflict of interests here, unlike yourself. Our positions are not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My late father worked for them unkel.

Thanks for clarifying.

Now we know where we all stand, so let's get back on topic please

You lack objectivity and are understandably biased, but still biased nonetheless. The bias is a financial one.
    This would be the case if I was trying to sell something to somebody. If I have no financial incentive, then why would I mislead someone. I think you are just using the fact that I am in the motor trade to undermine my opinions or points. You seem to follow up most of my Toyota related posts with a question on my motives.

colm_mcm wrote:
    This would be the case if I was trying to sell something to somebody. If I have no financial incentive, then why would I mislead someone. I think you are just using the fact that I am in the motor trade to undermine my opinions or points. You seem to follow up most of my Toyota related posts with a question on my motives.

i remember in the past when i was discussing purchasing an avensis diesel , and getting ppls opinions on boards that you mentioned to me that you had a luna 2.2 diesel in stock...

• Advertisement

Yep. I've seen just that written before too. Not sure what model you were trying to market, but the fact remains.

To suggest that you have no commercial motive in your posts Colm is simply not true. Sales people get paid commission for making extra sales.

I'm not suggesting you are trying to mislead anyone btw.

what_car wrote:
    i remember in the past when i was discussing purchasing an avensis diesel , and getting ppls opinions on boards that you mentioned to me that you had a luna 2.2 diesel in stock...

To be fair, that was in response to you saying that no dealers had them in stock.

Advertisement