Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to buy a sat nav

• 01-09-2007 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

hey all, just looking for a bit of advice. i don't know much about these things, but i keep getting lost so i quite fancy getting one to help me get about (i'm a scotsman in Ireland).

Basically i'm looking for something that will get me about in Ireland (particularly to golf courses and football games) and also when i take the car back to the UK. I would probably use it when i'm in europe on holiday too.

I quite like the idea of having the bluetooth. I went in to Halfords today looking for some advice. Like most newbies to sat nav... I'm stuck between a Garmin and a Tomtom. He told me that he wouldn't touch a tom tom because of the poor customer service. Other than that he said they are both pretty much the same.

He had sold me on the idea of a Garmin, however, on the way out a guy who had been standing listening to our conversation, came over and told me to go with a tom tom because of the better maps and the userface. Basically i've just been left confused and i don't know what to do. I;d be grateful for any advice anyone can offer me!

Thanks in advance.

The two devices i was contemplating were the Tom Tom One V3 and the NUVI 310 V9.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

18 views, but no help!:( :confused:

thanks folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

You could use the search function. That will give you with all the info you need and leave you still just as confused.:mad:
    I'd say the opinion is pretty much split 50:50 between Garmin and TomTom. Pick the one that has the most friendly user interface for you.
    Personally I went with the TomTom 910 (purely based on Sharkman's recommendation) and couldn't be happier.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Where as I went for the Garmin nuvi 350(didnt need bluetooth) and I couldn't be happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

thanks lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

I went for the Nuvi 310d. It has worked very well so far in Ireland and the UK. The latter with safety cameras and live traffic data. UI is a bit noddy leaving advanced techie users wanting more. It does reliably deliver the routes with clear presentation which is the most important thing. Text to speech would be nice. Never used TomTom so can't compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Garmin 660fm .. higher dfinition widescreen, V9 maps europe, announce street names , Blue tooth, multiple languages /announcers, SRIF 2 sat receiver.. even works indoors , lists most golf courses, mp3 player / travel guide / traffic receiver ( no broadcaster in Ireland so only useful in UK/EU)

What more can I say...I'm very happy with my one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

One thing really worth having is free internet map updates? Does any vendor offer that built into the price?

With so many new roads planned we will need regular updates. New M4 was showing as fields on my Garmin.
    Sales staff told me Garmin have one free update.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

yellabelly wrote:

And thats only if you register your unit only after the new maps have been released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

yellabelly wrote:
    One thing really worth having is free internet map updates? Does any vendor offer that built into the price?

With so many new roads planned we will need regular updates. New M4 was showing as fields on my Garmin.
    I was in a few fields on my way to Cork yesterday with my TomTom, but there are so many road changes lately with temp roads, its hard for them to keep up.
    Not having the M4 though is a bit slow. The TT has the new M8 already one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I wouldn't use TomTom's poor customer service as a reason for buying a Garmin.. Garmin are excellent when it comes to getting your unit replaced (no questions asked) but it can take weeks to get through to them.. So it's probably on a par with TomTom. I don't believe that the TomTom maps are any better than Garmins, or vice versa..

As for the user interface, go have a play with both of them and see which you prefer.. Then it's gotta come down to a feature comparison, and price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement