Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Socities

Options
  • 01-09-2007 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

Just a reminder to all the incoming freshers about the Clubs and Soc's Week that is in the second week back as far as I know. You will get a chance join cool clubs and socities which I would advise you to do as its the best way to meet new people in your college carrer.

http://socs.dit.ie is where you can find out about the socs.

The Paintball Soc's are gona have their best ever year this year.... so they are they first ones to join, even for the social side of it :D:D

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Do you have to rejoin socs even if you did last year??

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

wixfjord wrote:
    Do you have to rejoin socs even if you did last year??

you do indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Just a reminder to all the incoming freshers about the Clubs and Soc's Week that is in the second week back as far as I know. You will get a chance join cool clubs and socities which I would advise you to do as its the best way to meet new people in your college carrer.

http://socs.dit.ie is where you can find out about the socs.

The Paintball Soc's are gona have their best ever year this year.... so they are they first ones to join, even for the social side of it :D:D

can i show up to a paintball session with an airsoft gun?

if so count me in :p

can i show up to a paintball session with an airsoft gun?

if so count me in :p

Ha.....NO! Get your own soc :D

Next..

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

I was once a paintballer, it was so much fun I did it for two years. Then the stress of final year came upon me and I wept like a small child. That is all...

• Advertisement

Dunners wrote:
    I was once a paintballer, it was so much fun I did it for two years. Then the stress of final year came upon me and I wept like a small child. That is all...

Ah... but look at you now Mr. Vice President

Ah... but look at you now Mr. Vice President

Yeah, still weeping like a small child but this time in a swanky office!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Sadly DIT Socs and Clubs have no presence on campus

Het-Field wrote:
    Sadly DIT Socs and Clubs have no presence on campus

Which campus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭drogbaa

Hiya Het-field,

What about Red Soc, Fashion Soc, Comedy Soc, Circus and Juggling, GAA, Ultimate Frisbee, Hum Nuts, Reject Musical, Archery, Canoe and Kayak, Sub-Aqua . . . dare I mention even The Young PDs!!! I could go on and on - 80 societies and 40 sports clubs.

Have you been going round with your eyes shut, het-field? or do you go to UCD, as most of your posts are on the UCD thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

the poker societies are alright too ;)

There are none around at the mo cause college has not officially started back, But wait till the week of the 25th, then you will see socs my man.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

yeah, many that week to take sign ups

and around ten the following week, after the boggy ones have left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

drogbaa wrote:
    Hiya Het-field,

What about Red Soc, Fashion Soc, Comedy Soc, Circus and Juggling, GAA, Ultimate Frisbee, Hum Nuts, Reject Musical, Archery, Canoe and Kayak, Sub-Aqua . . . dare I mention even The Young PDs!!! I could go on and on - 80 societies and 40 sports clubs.

Have you been going round with your eyes shut, het-field? or do you go to UCD, as most of your posts are on the UCD thread :D

Im a graduate of Both UCD and DIT. I knew of the existence of the afformentioned societies, however, their presence seemed limited. For example My class was never lecture addressed by RedSoc with a view to inviting us to attend their nightclub events. Furthermore, we were not encouraged to join any societies, and I only knew of the YPD's existence given my involvement in the Organisation.

I feel that a new angle has to be taken for DIT Freshers week, and a new, and less insular road must be taken by societies.

I realise its very different to Belfield. The Aungier Street Campus effectively shut down at 5pm, and given the lack of postering space relative to the Belfield Concourse, its virtually impossible to advertise events. However, over the course of my Postgrad year in Aungier Street, I felt very little effort was made to induct new DITers into Society Land, and at nighttime there were no events which would make staying around Aungier Street worthwhile.

Im not knocking the performance of the Societies. For several months of last year I was Deputy Chair of the Law Society, and I was encouraging a more inclusive and collegewide effort, but it was impossible to sustain such an operation.

I would suggest to all societies, to go to classes, lecture address, and invite people to join. Throughout the year, clubs should encourage people to come to events by lecture addressing, and it costs nothing.

A presence on campus means being heard of, and last year, I heard very little.

End of the day, there is a set day for soc's to sign people up an it is up to them to them to use that day wisely. Of course they can sign up new members all the time.

As for going into classes....? thats what emails are for, meetings, the text link, posters. You can not expect soc's committee members to spoon feed all the info to the members, its up to the members to be 'active' and know what is going on them selves. The committee would be under enough pressure in spending their own time to go out and organise the events. Plus, i dont think the lecturers would be too pleases by 80 different soc's coming in one at a time and spending 5 minutes to talk about their soc. It just wouldnt work.

Summary - it takes two to tango. If you are interested in something and bother to join it, then take the time to make sure you get all the info and please to not expect to be spoonfed.

On a side note, i dono what aunger st. is like, but I hope that people knew about the existance of paintball here in bolton st. :)

New DIT Paintball website launched. www.paintballer.ie/dit

It will be the hub for all paintball action in dit, from there the seperate socities can have their own space. Get in touch with your students union office to see about setting up a paintball soc if there is not one there.

Het-Field wrote:
    I would suggest to all societies, to go to classes, lecture address, and invite people to join. Throughout the year, clubs should encourage people to come to events by lecture addressing, and it costs nothing.

Unfortunately with in excess of 100 clubs and societies in DIT and the fact that clubs/socs could have events every couple of weeks lecture addressing isn't really a viable marketing tool - unless people are signing up to DIT just to find out about clubs & socs and not to further their education!

Many of the classes are under an intense time constraint given the semesterised time table. Add to this the lack of receptiveness of many lecturers, even when instruction has come down from the faculties to allow certain important lecture addresses (e.g. Class Rep Recruitment, DITSU Elections, etc), and you don't have much of a chance.

I don't mean to be on a major downer and you're right there is a bit of a problem with getting clubs and societies messages out to everyone but as has already been stated it is a two-way street. On top of that the union has recognised that this is a problem and we're working with the socs office to try and extend the reach of clubs & socs beyond the traditional undergrad 9-5 sphere. We're also trying to extend the union services and events to appeal to as much of the membership as possible.

The only real advice that I think works in any case is to get involved. Whether it's as a member of a club or soc, within the union or just airing some thoughts that's the best way to bring through new ideas and change DIT for the benefit of all.

That's my two cents anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

New DIT Paintball website launched. www.paintballer.ie/dit

It will be the hub for all paintball action in dit, from there the seperate socities can have their own space. Get in touch with your students union office to see about setting up a paintball soc if there is not one there.

do you know who is running aungier st this year out of interest

LOTP wrote:
    do you know who is running aungier st this year out of interest

Nope, but I hope somebody would step forward and take charge. Same too with kevin street. It would be a shame to leave them go to waste.

Who ever decides to take it on will have the full support of my self (Richie), of paintballer.ie and of the IPPA, Irish Paintball Players Association.

Bolton St. will sign up members from all off DIT if needs be.

Was considering taking charge again, but im in my final year so i am undecided

• Advertisement

I am final year too (hopefully), so i plan to take more of a guiding role. Plus, we have a pretty goos system where there is not that much work any more. It would be nice to finish off with a bang in the soc's world

see, i have noone to guide, so it would just be me doing the work...if any first year is going to aungier st and wants to get involved in a soc, and reads this, let us know. running socs is a job for first years imo

LOTP wrote:
    see, i have noone to guide, so it would just be me doing the work...if any first year is going to aungier st and wants to get involved in a soc, and reads this, let us know. running socs is a job for first years imo

Running a soc is not a first years job, they can get involved and help out of course, but unless they are 100% dedicated, I dont think the would have the skills and contacts to make a soc work. Also, for an existing soc, i think you have to prove your worth to take the leads... unless there is nobody else. The they can come in and set up/run a soc.

Running a soc is not a first years job, they can get involved and help out of course, but unless they are 100% dedicated, I dont think the would have the skills and contacts to make a soc work. Also, for an existing soc, i think you have to prove your worth to take the leads... unless there is nobody else. The they can come in and set up/run a soc.

i did it in 1st year and won fresher of the year for my efforts, also re establishing the angry aungiers while i did so. freshers have the time and the energy to do the job, and experience can be supplied by people such as ourselves in an advisory role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

Couple questions about socs:

A: Is there any way, apart from asking, to find out which socs are located in which sections of DIT (IE: Kevin Street, Aungier Street, etc)? It's annoying :P

B: I can't find any form of RPG/Tabletop society, which is very surprising since a GamesSoc exists in most colleges I've ever heard of, am I being blind or is sitting in a dark room pretending to be an orc not popular in DIT?

Couple questions about socs:

A: Is there any way, apart from asking, to find out which socs are located in which sections of DIT (IE: Kevin Street, Aungier Street, etc)? It's annoying :P

B: I can't find any form of RPG/Tabletop society, which is very surprising since a GamesSoc exists in most colleges I've ever heard of, am I being blind or is sitting in a dark room pretending to be an orc not popular in DIT?

A: there is a list of the socs in each site on www.socs.dit.ie

B:No idea why we dont have a gamesoc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Anyone know if NetSoc is running this year?

As far as ive heard, yes it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kevbyrne

Het-Field wrote:
    Im a graduate of Both UCD and DIT. I knew of the existence of the afformentioned societies, however, their presence seemed limited. For example My class was never lecture addressed by RedSoc with a view to inviting us to attend their nightclub events. Furthermore, we were not encouraged to join any societies, and I only knew of the YPD's existence given my involvement in the Organisation.

Hi Paddy, how are ya?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

so did you get many girls signing up to the paintball soc? if you were going to lay on the hos you might as well have put on the bros....

Advertisement