Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help updating BIOS - Asus P5K Deluxe...

• 01-09-2007 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I literaly just finished my build today and I am running into problems updating the BIOS... I am not flashing via floppy/USB drive cause that way has never worked for me. I am trying to do it via the Asus Update Utility in Windows.

So I downloaded the latest beta BIOS and selected it in the Update Utility. Then every time I continue it brings me to an almost blank window with a small red message at the bottom saying reset the OS, insert flash drive.. or something like that... Too lazy to go through again to note the exact message...

Why is it not working through windows? This way has always worked for me before (with my previous system).. Maybe i'm not using the right file? The file I downloaded is an ROM.

I'd appreciate any quick responses and help to get me going. I hate just having this system sitting here with no gfx drivers, chipset, audio and being useless (I refuse to install them until bios is updated..)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

duno about that asus thingy

try winflash its very good .

now nn.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Thanks awhir I may try that instead. I'd say it's more reliable than this Asus utility...

Also I have just had a change of heart towards flashing through a USB stick after discovering some of the terrible problems people have had. If it's safer then I might just give it a try with this new system before jumping to flashing through windows.

To do the job with a USB stick what exactly do I need to do? I remember the problem I had when trying it before was getting the downloaded file into an image. Is this still essential or can I just throw the un-zipped .ROM file straight onto it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Thanks awhir I may try that instead. I'd say it's more reliable than this Asus utility...

Also I have just had a change of heart towards flashing through a USB stick after discovering some of the terrible problems people have had. If it's safer then I might just give it a try with this new system before jumping to flashing through windows.

To do the job with a USB stick what exactly do I need to do? I remember the problem I had when trying it before was getting the downloaded file into an image. Is this still essential or can I just throw the un-zipped .ROM file straight onto it?

RTFM! :-)

Gives a full walk through in the motherboard manual on how to update the bios with usb.

Quick steps:

Plug in usb key with bios update on it.

Turn pc on and hit ALT + F2

Then after that use the dos style window to select the bios form the usb memory stick.

Pretty straight forward.

Can't remember if I had the files unzipped or not, just have a copy of both and see what works?

Also on restart from updating your bios, you will get a bad checksum error, reset your settings in the bios and save and that should sort you out.

Haha only chumps read manuals:D Yeah I really should have done a better glance through it:rolleyes:

Alright then I'll give it a try then. So just the plain ROM file off the Asus site will do then? I coulda sworn there was more to it, but maybe not then.

Oh yes and I did try Winflash and it didnt work. Only works on AWARD BIOS. Also tried a flash utility specially designed for my bios (AMI) and that did not work either... USB key is my only option now then.

Oh and uberpixie you have the P5k yeah? Whats the best bios version to use? The latest beta (0501) or the official (0404)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Haha only chumps read manuals:D Yeah I really should have done a better glance through it:rolleyes:

Alright then I'll give it a try then. So just the plain ROM file off the Asus site will do then? I coulda sworn there was more to it, but maybe not then.

Oh yes and I did try Winflash and it didnt work. Only works on AWARD BIOS. Also tried a flash utility specially designed for my bios (AMI) and that did not work either... USB key is my only option now then.

Oh and uberpixie you have the P5k yeah? Whats the best bios version to use? The latest beta (0501) or the official (0404)?

using 0404 myself and seem to have no problems with it.

USB key should work just fine, it's how I upgraded my bios.

• Advertisement

Yeah I just flashed to 0404 and it worked fine, but when I got into windows I started experiencing an odd problem. The windows control panel would not open... It would just flicker and quickly close. And I was unable to use any features having anything to do with the control panel. Anyway so I have decided reinstall the OS. Hopefully that will set things right.

Are you familiar with this strange problem?

Ah damn! The control panel issue has come back again in the new install!? I'm gonna enquire about this in the Windows forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I posted a fix in the Windows forum, which hopefully will work.

CC

Advertisement