Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is this part called???

Options
  • 02-09-2007 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am having trouble with my 318CI engine, the section highlighted is vibrating and making a noise. I am not going to drive the car until it is looked at by a mechanic but does anyone know what the problem could be and more importantly how much it is likely to cost to fix???

Regards
    Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Don't know that engine, but each of those pulleys belongs to something like the water pump, air-pump, power-steering-pump, air-con compressor and alternator.

Am guessing that particular one is the waterpump (as it's central to the radiator. You ought to see if the four bolts on it are tight. Is the belt tight also ? The so-called serpentine belt. If you press down in the middle of its longest section, it should deflect by no more than an inch.

If everything is tight, and it is indeed the waterpump, it's usually a big enough job to replace (nearly the same job as replacing the cam belt, so that usually gets done at the same time)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Is this a standard thing to replace though or is it something that is going to cost me 500+?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Not familar with the petrol varient but I know a guy who had to replace his water pump on his E46 petrol and it was a doddle... think he did it himself actually

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Give Al or Richie in AC Cars a shout (assuming you are in Dublin) - www.accarsales.com

Advertisement