Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad core noob

Options
  • 02-09-2007 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Was gonna post this in the "toasty quad" thread at 1st but I didnt want to hijack his thread.

So I just got myself a Q6600 and I've slapped it into my new Gigabyte P35-DS3R and then I gotta Thermaltake big typhoon VX and slapped that on top of it.

So any way Ive been reading up and CPU temps and overclocking and such & I'm confused.:(

My case shows my CPU temps as being 25c. Software that comes with my mobo (easy tune 5) shows my CPU @ 21c

However, coretemp shows my CPU's between 38-42.

So anyway I would play bf2 in windowed mode to watch my temps in coretemp and they would get to around 49-54.

tbh I dunno what to make of all this, good or bad etc :confused:

Another thing is I've noticed this easy tune 5 program has this easy over clocking feature.

So ive been messing around with this but Ive only clocked it to 2.5ghz for a sustained amount of time and my temps are the usual stuff.

I'm not so sure about this easy tune, it seems fantastic but it's just that everywhere I look about overclocking theres pages apon pages of stuff that needs to be tweaked that all seem's waaay over my head at 1st glance.

Yet this thing lets me clock with a few mouse clicks....

One more thing, when I click hardware montior in this program under "fans" it has 3 flashing warning lights. One beside CPU the other beside PWR1 and one more beside System.

Only CPU shows any RPM speed (773 right now but thats coz Ive been tweaking with it, it was normally 500-600)
    I'm pretty sure warning lights at the other two is normal as I noticed slots on my mobo for these "fans" but all my other fans are case fans etc etc.

But I dunno about this warning light on my CPU :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

go easy on the slapping in the Q6600 and the vx, they can be very delicate !!!!!
    Cunny-Funt wrote:
    Was gonna post this in the "toasty quad" thread at 1st but I didnt want to hijack his thread.

So I just got myself a Q6600 and I've slapped it into my new Gigabyte P35-DS3R and then I gotta Thermaltake big typhoon VX and slapped that on top of it.

So any way Ive been reading up and CPU temps and overclocking and such & I'm confused.:(

My case shows my CPU temps as being 25c. Software that comes with my mobo (easy tune 5) shows my CPU @ 21c

However, coretemp shows my CPU's between 38-42.

So anyway I would play bf2 in windowed mode to watch my temps in coretemp and they would get to around 49-54.

tbh I dunno what to make of all this, good or bad etc :confused:

Another thing is I've noticed this easy tune 5 program has this easy over clocking feature.

So ive been messing around with this but Ive only clocked it to 2.5ghz for a sustained amount of time and my temps are the usual stuff.

I'm not so sure about this easy tune, it seems fantastic but it's just that everywhere I look about overclocking theres pages apon pages of stuff that needs to be tweaked that all seem's waaay over my head at 1st glance.

Yet this thing lets me clock with a few mouse clicks....

One more thing, when I click hardware montior in this program under "fans" it has 3 flashing warning lights. One beside CPU the other beside PWR1 and one more beside System.

Only CPU shows any RPM speed (773 right now but thats coz Ive been tweaking with it, it was normally 500-600)
    I'm pretty sure warning lights at the other two is normal as I noticed slots on my mobo for these "fans" but all my other fans are case fans etc etc.

But I dunno about this warning light on my CPU :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

go easy on the slapping in the Q6600 and the vx, they can be very delicate !!!!!

O rly?

I just got my m8 to hold up the mobo and picked up the cpu cooler and flung it at it at full force and it smashed into the mobo at a perfect angle right on target on the CPU and clipped in and all!

I'm a whiz at darts.

Cheers for the reply icon_neutral.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Core temp in general gives the more acurate readings.

As long as you are keeping the quad below 60 under load you are doing well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

steer clear of overclocking anything but the GPU in windows. Do all your overclocking in the BIOS. I've used easy tune myself and I had nothing but problems with it.

For temps i'd tend to believe coretemp or TAT. You load temps seem fine. You should be fine up to about 80'c with those quads.

But to be sure open up coretemp and above your cpu core temperatures there should be a value named tjunction, this is the max allowed temperature for that cpu. So you should be fine up to that temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

If you leave your cpu voltage on auto it is usually too high try to find the lowest stable voltage and it will lower your temperature.

PS your room temperature can add up to 5c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

bah I knew easy tune was too good to be true :(

and yes my tjunction is 100c in coretemp but I read somewhere that it was not to be trusted and 62c was the max :confused:

Anyways heres a screen shot of me testing yesterday. Any idea's about the warning lights on hardware monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Get about 41'C with my Q6600 at load...tho i do have watercooling.....

Eh id say the red flags next to PWR 1 and system is due to, #1 not having fan connected into the corresponding socket on the mobo or #2 no rpm sensor cable on the fans.

I havent messed around with the "AI" overclocking utility on my asus board, but the the same OC'ing options in the software are present in the bios, so id be guessing doing it from either place should be fine.....

*oh and maybe a bios update will fix the software giving you an inaccurate cpu temp.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I've never trusted easytune, since back when it first came out it was always way off the mark in taking temps. Coretemp ( with a tj of 100 ) will give you the most accurate temps. But saying that Abit EQ on my board gives me the exact same temps as Coretemp.

But im starting to get worried, ive just myself a Q6600 and im really worried about the temps your all getting. Yeah i have better cooling then all of you bar CC. But there is hardly any real differences between my Tr 120 u ex, and the Tuniq...

Looks like im going to have to go with watercooling again :( At least this time it wont be pink..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I'd say don't worry about the fan warnings - the program is just freaking out because the mobo can't read their speeds. This is quite normal for some fans. Readings from coretemp look fine. I would advise against using software based overclocking, particularly if it alters the power being fed to the cpu - this can be very dangerous.

Advertisement