Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOw the **** do you set up three broadband?

Options
  • 02-09-2007 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

seriously its rediculous i got it yesterday and i know its activiated because i called up and it worked once but ever since it hasn't recognised the modem, just like it didn't before it worked...

when i plugged it in first nothing happened... vista said drivers had been installed but thats it... there was a green double flash every now and again but that was it... then i looked up the drivers from three and got the xp one and it installed the software which always told that the modem was invalid which is the problem im having now again

now the lights only fash for about a minute and then stops and looks completely dead

sometmes it detects the modem and says its working prperly and then avbsolutely nothing happens again does anyone actually know how to set this thing up properly???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hey,

I always sort out that "invalid modem" problem by removing the software in Add/Remove Programs, remove USb modem and reboot the PC, and reinstall the device and software. And I have had to reinstall at least once on EVERY PC THAT I HAVE INSTALLED IT ON.

regs,
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

but thats not even the main problem anymore its connecting more than it doesn't lately but when its connected theres no big disconnect button at the bottom so its obviously not conected (which is evident from the lack of any activty whatsoever)

does anyone in the whole universe actually know how to set this up and has had a good experience with it???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Steoob wrote:
    seriously its rediculous i got it yesterday and i know its activiated because i called up and it worked once but ever since it hasn't recognised the modem, just like it didn't before it worked...

when i plugged it in first nothing happened... vista said drivers had been installed but thats it... there was a green double flash every now and again but that was it... then i looked up the drivers from three and got the xp one and it installed the software which always told that the modem was invalid which is the problem im having now again

now the lights only fash for about a minute and then stops and looks completely dead

sometmes it detects the modem and says its working prperly and then avbsolutely nothing happens again does anyone actually know how to set this thing up properly???

Steoob, don't know if this will help....but something similar happened on my bro's laptop (running Vista) when he got it first. It had to do with windows recognising the modem as a cd-rom drive. Try going into "Computer", check if the modem is showing in the list, (should be drive F, i think). If its there, try double clicking on it. As i say, don't know if this will help, but it seemed to sort his problem out.

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    Steoob, don't know if this will help....but something similar happened on my bro's laptop (running Vista) when he got it first. It had to do with windows recognising the modem as a cd-rom drive. Try going into "Computer", check if the modem is showing in the list, (should be drive F, i think). If its there, try double clicking on it. As i say, don't know if this will help, but it seemed to sort his problem out.
    nope didn't do anything :( its getting really annoying imm gonna go try it on an XP desktop now to see if works on that, atleast then i can know if its a problem with vista or my laptop...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭robbie checker

I had the 3 mobile broadband a few weeks ago and like yourself nearly went mad trying to install it on my desktop. Tryed everything under the sun and was on the phone to 3 of their technicians( who never ring you back, you have to hold for them - dont know what my phone bill will be) and they tried everything under the sun, even downloaded file which is supposed to make the computer recognise the modem, but in the end they decided there must be something blocking the modem being installed. Computer is a new Advent T9307 I bought in PC world this year. Considered bringing the computer, modem n all to PC World to get the technicials there to see what was wrong with it. Also brought modem into work - installed no bother on desktop. Brought laptop home - installed no bother. Speed on laptop wasnt any good - no better than dial up. Brought modem back to 3 for refund within 14 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭robbie checker

PS. windows XP media Centre is on my computer. Napster was on it when I bought it and the technicians asked me to unistall it as one of their wisdoms as they said it can stop the computer recognising the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 b21

Try this: With modem connected to PC and the 3 modem program installed but NOT running...1.open windows network connections.2.Right click on the one that says something like huwei datamodem or 3G, 3.click properties. 4.Ensure the correct modem is ticked, and the only one ticked. 5.For phone number it's *99# and no name or password required. 6. Click OK. 7.then double click on the box you just edited, and it should connect. If it works the modem should be constant bluish.:confused:

C:\ONGRATULATIONS: Apple to Microsoft at release of Windows '95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mmack287

Hi,
    I had no problems at all installing it on my laptop - did everything itself.
    But the service is downright lousy, sometimes it grinds to a complete standstill, and I mean standstill - I get better on the dial-up modem.
    Wonder if the vodafone or O2 offerings are any better?
    Michael.

b21 wrote:
    Try this: With modem connected to PC and the 3 modem program installed but NOT running...1.open windows network connections.2.Right click on the one that says something like huwei datamodem or 3G, 3.click properties. 4.Ensure the correct modem is ticked, and the only one ticked. 5.For phone number it's *99# and no name or password required. 6. Click OK. 7.then double click on the box you just edited, and it should connect. If it works the modem should be constant bluish.:confused:

C:\ONGRATULATIONS: Apple to Microsoft at release of Windows '95.
    nope doesn'y work all settings were fine same story...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You might find the following link useful:

Huawei modem setup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I had the 3 mobile broadband a few weeks ago and like yourself nearly went mad trying to install it on my desktop. Tryed everything under the sun and was on the phone to 3 of their technicians( who never ring you back, you have to hold for them - dont know what my phone bill will be) and they tried everything under the sun, even downloaded file which is supposed to make the computer recognise the modem, but in the end they decided there must be something blocking the modem being installed. Computer is a new Advent T9307 I bought in PC world this year. Considered bringing the computer, modem n all to PC World to get the technicials there to see what was wrong with it. Also brought modem into work - installed no bother on desktop. Brought laptop home - installed no bother. Speed on laptop wasnt any good - no better than dial up. Brought modem back to 3 for refund within 14 days.
    this happens with some of the modems and no one at 3 has been able to solve the problem. they just won't install on some computers. the modems aren't faulty because they install fine on others and having tried loads of modems, none of them will install on that computer

what seems to happen is when it installs as a data storage device it keeps alternating between being detected and not being detected. if you go into device manager you'll see it keeps refreshing. and the drive that shows up in my computer will be inaccessible but with a working one you can go into it and see all the files for installing the drivers and software. i've tried to fix the problem loads of times and its never worked

the really interesting thing is the o2 modem installs fine on every laptop that rejects the 3 modem and they're both huawei e220s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Thanks for that info lads, I have the same problem with one of them.

i have it working at the moment but its just too random i cant handle it not connecting whenever it wants to...

is there any setup problems with the vodafone or O2 ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Same Modem all three. You could save all your 3 settings and try other software. But I suspect it's the same software too.

The not connecting thing can be the sector of mast. I think it can only take 24 connections at once. It's like dialup to a server with only 24 lines & modems.

ok im beginning to believe that the modem doesn't like putting computers to sleep or hibernation... normally now every time i do a full restart its always working... just hit the Meg mark there for the first time my peak today is 1284kbps so far whih to be honest is fairly ****in good in my eyes

i reckon i might keep it after all..

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Not had a chance to read all this post so apologies If I'm barking up the wrong tree but I recently had a friend with Vista with the 3 modem and Vista seemed to do nothing when it was plugged in - spent ages trying to fix it and in the end it turned out he had a free trial version of Norton anti virus somethign or other and it would only work when that was disabled. Try that.

thanks

Not had a chance to read all this post so apologies If I'm barking up the wrong tree but I recently had a friend with Vista with the 3 modem and Vista seemed to do nothing when it was plugged in - spent ages trying to fix it and in the end it turned out he had a free trial version of Norton anti virus somethign or other and it would only work when that was disabled. Try that.

thanks

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Tryed everything under the sun and was on the phone to 3 of their technicians( who never ring you back, you have to hold for them - dont know what my phone bill will be)

If I'm not mistaken, you can call the 083 333 3333 number for free using the 3modem usim card in a 3G phone.

Advertisement