Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comp Science - BA

• 02-09-2007 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

does anyone know if after first year is it possible to do just computer science and not do an arts subject with it?? i know its a stupid question as its an arts degree but im just wondering....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Haha yeah that kind of is a stupid question, but no you can't. In 1st year at least, you do only 20 credits in Computer Science. You could use your electives to take extra Comp Sci modules, bringing you up to 30. But you still have to choose another 30 credits from other arts subjects

I'm going into 1st year and doing:
    20 core Comp Sci credits
    20 German credits
    10 Linguistics credits
    5 Comp Sci elective credits
    5 Psychology elective credits

Are you starting this year or wondering about next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

yeh im starting this year.

im doing:
    20 core Comp Sci credits
    20 French or Geog credits (undecided)
    10 Film Studies credits
    5 Psychology elective credits (hoepfully)

i was thinking though that next year i prob wnt wanna do geog or french and will just wanna get stuck into comp science. i thought the BA was for me as the arts looked interesting but after reading whats involved in them maybe i shuda done the BSc one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I know one person who switched from BA to BSc after first year, he just had to take an extra maths module in second year. Alternatively, I think there's an option to do a single subject major in the BA, and you wouldn't have to take an arts subject along with that. That becomes an option in second year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

dhaddock wrote:
    yeh im starting this year.

im doing:
    20 core Comp Sci credits
    20 French or Geog credits (undecided)
    10 Film Studies credits
    5 Psychology elective credits (hoepfully)

i was thinking though that next year i prob wnt wanna do geog or french and will just wanna get stuck into comp science. i thought the BA was for me as the arts looked interesting but after reading whats involved in them maybe i shuda done the BSc one.

Ah, pretty much similar to me then! I was going to do Film Studies but decided I'd prefer Linguistics. Yeah you should be able to change degrees at some stage, or at least drop your other arts subjects in 2nd year? The BSc course has alot of maths modules in contrast to the BA however.

Advertisement