Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted List enacted ?

Options
  • 02-09-2007 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Lads,

heard on the grapevine from my local gun dealer that a Super in Kilkenny has refused to renew licences for all 223's, anyone confirm this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

hope that is only a rumour,applied 3 weeks ago for a .223

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That doesn't mean the restricted list is enacted, even if it's not just a rumour, it just means that a superintendent is not being seen by someone with a vested interest to be acting as he should, which isn't all that unheard of :D
    The restricted list can't be snuck in without telling anyone either, it has to be introduced by statutory instrument and there wasn't one published as of Aug.31.

sparks do you know where i can find this restricted list on the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

patbundy wrote:
    sparks do you know where i can find this restricted list on the net

As far as I know it doesn't exist, yet, only speculation ?

there has to be something down on paper

• Advertisement

patbundy wrote:
    there has to be something down on paper

Don't think so.

You can bet 223, 308, ALL pistols, ALL full auto, ALL semi auto and anything else he/gardai don't like

but bs theres has to be a list,the justice dept cant operate without anything on paper,the courts cant operate without it being on paper and neither can the gaurds. so there has to be down on paper somewhere a restricted list ortherwise it has no meaning in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I thought i saw an early draft of a list on this very forum.
    Semis, military calibre and the like, started off a debate about .22LR being in use by the military, am i imagining this?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Pat, as of yet, there is no restricted list (from the law's point of view). There's a draft document, which the DoJ have asked people not to circulate because it's still under heavy review. We've protested this directly and told them that it would be a far better idea to openly publish it but there's been no response so far. At the same time, remember that everything in that Department has just had a major change of boss, so you wouldn't expect speed on executive stuff for the moment.

There was a thread on all this earlier.

thanks guys,im just reading that thread now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Saddlebags

Lads,

heard on the grapevine from my local gun dealer that a Super in Kilkenny has refused to renew licences for all 223's, anyone confirm this ?

The problem here is not .223s being on any list. It is the super in Kilkenny!

Saddlebags wrote:
    The problem here is not .223s being on any list. It is the super in Kilkenny!

Agreed, but he/she has the final say, unless you get to the High Court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

In the case of renewals is it not a sgt that does those? Would it not be a case where there are no new .223 licences being issued with existing certs being renewed?

So is there a big roundup of .223 rifles going on in Kilkenny right now?

When/if this list comes in, will you be simply made bring your guns to the local cop shop and say goodbye to them?

is there anyone in here from kilkenny?,maybe they might find something out

Opening post is what I was told, I know no more, hence the post

Need locals (kilkenny) to find out and report back

true bunny shooter,sorry for shortening your name

patbundy wrote:
    true bunny shooter,sorry for shortening your name

I don't mind, get tired of typing myself;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Still have not got my renewal certificate- any ideas?

traumadoc why dont you ring them tomorrow

Yes I have tried to contact the FO in the station - always unavailable, never rings back.

• Advertisement

then you have to call in person but dont worry im told its always this slow at this time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I believe it's the renewal notice he's referring to. They should all have been issued by the first week in August.

If you haven't got the notice, then you really have to call into your station. It doesn't matter if the FO isn't there, most stations have the new licences in a lever arch binder, so just ask any Garda to take your money and hand over your new licence. Explain that you didn't get the renewal notice and that's why you are there in person.

rrpc most faos keep them under lock and key,seen it with my own eyes in my local station.i had a change of fao 2 weeks before the renewals came out.the poor girl hadnt a clue what was facing her but i give 1 thing she always return my calls.

patbundy wrote:
    rrpc most faos keep them under lock and key,seen it with my own eyes in my local station.i had a change of fao 2 weeks before the renewals came out.the poor girl hadnt a clue what was facing her but i give 1 thing she always return my calls.

Possibly true Pat, but anytime I walk into my station at renewal time the folder's on the desk ready and waiting for the next customer.

Then again mine is a very small (3 Garda) station and everyone does licences even though it's nominally the Sergeants job.

They believe in customer service in my part of the world :D. They even deliver the licence to you if you drop in the renewal. And if you forget, they call around with the licences and collect the cheque.

nice one rrpc,my local is a medium size but i couldnt fault them

patbundy wrote:
    nice one rrpc,my local is a medium size but i couldnt fault them

That's good. We should always say when we get good service otherwise the overwhelming impression is created from the bad reports.

true.im in between two stations,the one i go is grand but the other one yuck i wont even past the door

I paid for the renewal in the first week of August as did my father for his firearms - just have not recieved the cert yet. I also applied for a new rifle in July and have not heard anything yet. Its a new FO, the last one was excellent good communication etc.

give it time my friend

• Advertisement

Yes I suppose so-I previously has licenced in Australia- so none of this yearly applications bussiness.

Advertisement