Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted List enacted ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Lads, heard on the grapevine from my local gun dealer that a Super in Kilkenny has refused to renew licences for all 223's, anyone confirm this ?

Not sure on the renewal process, mine went through with no probs, but I have been reliably informed that anyone applying for a .223 or bigger next year will have problems due to restriction. Those who already have .223's should/will be ok, just go through the same yearly procedure.

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Will it be back to the bad old days........problems getting 223 but if you want 220 swift no problem because your licence already says 220 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Will it be back to the bad old days........problems getting 223 but if you want 220 swift no problem because your licence already says 220 inches

Heard a story about a guy who was refused a 223 and made an appointment to see the local super. During the meeting, the guy pulled out 2 spent rounds, one a 223 and the other a swift (He had traded the swift for the 223). The super said "I'm not going to give you a license for that big yoke" in reference to the swift. However the guy explained to the super the differences in the 2 rounds, and she granted him his 223 license.

I too heard the Similar situation about Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Jonty wrote:
    Heard a story about a guy who was refused a 223 and made an appointment to see the local super. During the meeting, the guy pulled out 2 spent rounds, one a 223 and the other a swift (He had traded the swift for the 223). The super said "I'm not going to give you a license for that big yoke" in reference to the swift. However the guy explained to the super the differences in the 2 rounds, and she granted him his 223 license.

I too heard the Similar situation about Kilkenny.

Friend of mine done same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

I live in south Kilkenny (Thomastown area) I had my .223 licence renewed a couple of weeks back, no problems (thank God).
    I did have problems when I first applied for the licence a few years ago. It took about 4 months and lots of phone calls and questions. I was initially told that .223 is a deer calibre and I would need a deer licence. You have to keep onto these guys. I also think it's an education issue for the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GilGrissom

Apparently it is the super in Kilkenny city that is the problem. I was told the other day that no .223 licences have been issued in a very long time. I was told that there are quite a few appeals to the high court from the area.

Thankfully I do not fall under the remit of KK city gardai, but the local gun dealers are not happy with the supers stance on .223s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

That's a shocking state of affairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

why all the excitement about .223?are they ok about,308,303,6.6x55,6mm etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

.223 looks a lot like 5.56NATO rounds as used in Big Black Rifles.

As to the others, no, sortof, yes, yes, depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Some Supers, if not the majority, are afraid to issue certs to us for rifles with similar calibres as military rifles, hence the problem with .223 which is similar to calibre used by our brave guys in green the 5.56mm. Similarly the .308 = 7.62mm, .303 old military round used in the Lee Enfield (I have a beauty), Bren LMG and the Vickers, even the old faithfull 6.5x55 can give problems in some Supers areas because they heard somewhere that it was a military calibre years ago. A little knowledge can be a bad thing........

Like the guys say, the big black rifle will always cause problems, why, because the Super or the Sgt doesnt like the look of it.

Let us not forget, the old faithfull .22lr is also a military round.............

In my old unit we also had air pistols...................

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Saddlebags

GilGrissom wrote:
    Apparently it is the super in Kilkenny city that is the problem. I was told the other day that no .223 licences have been issued in a very long time. I was told that there are quite a few appeals to the high court from the area.

Thankfully I do not fall under the remit of KK city gardai, but the local gun dealers are not happy with the supers stance on .223s.

Nobody's happy with his stance on almost everything!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

:D
    BryanL wrote:
    why all the excitement about .223?are they ok about,308,303,6.6x55,6mm etc?

I'd love to get a .303 in really mint condition. Brings me back to the old FCA Days!

(Quote from only fools and horses uncle Albert) (During the war .....etc).

Seriously though! I would like to mount a scope on one of these and shoot long range target. Maybe when I get my bonus! and can put up with the b***sh*t licence application process again.

:D:D :eek:

Cheers,

Maybe this is the situation, not issung anymore ? Restricted list enacted ? ! Even though it doesn't offically exist yet, but when did that stop 'em

Waiting on a Karl Gustaf 6.5x55 licence myself for trarget shooting. Told it wasn't a target calibre by garda. Waiting 2 months now......... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Cheers,

Maybe this is the situation, not issung anymore ? Restricted list enacted ? ! Even though it doesn't offically exist yet, but when did that stop 'em

Waiting on a Karl Gustaf 6.5x55 licence myself for trarget shooting. Told it wasn't a target calibre by garda. Waiting 2 months now......... ?

Target Calibre? WTF is that supposed to mean?
    They could start pulling out that little gem for almost anything:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Can confirm the kilkenny story .223 was sold to a guy and the super didnt like it at all i think was flat out refused and super wasnt happy with the dealer either he's now keepin tabs on the dealer utter nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Can confirm the kilkenny story .223 was sold to a guy and the super didnt like it at all i think was flat out refused and super wasnt happy with the dealer either he's now keepin tabs on the dealer utter nonsense.

Yup, it happens. If the Minister would just sign in those parts of the Firearms Act that let you appeal the Supers decision to the district court, this stuff would stop.

There is no consistency from district to district. The firearms dealers should request a meeting with the Super and clear up any misconceptions.

is a list of restricted calibres really going to help though or is it just going to be a list the gardai can point to and say, oh no it's on the list.
    i mean they all seem to have it in for .223 but are okay with 22-250's or swifts.
    a tricked out F-class .308 with a 42x mag scope and weighing 20lbs is hardly a big favorite for robbing purses?
    Bryan

See, there you go again with your "common sense"... :D

i forgot about the , Prohibition of Common Sense Act,1956.:eek:

kowloon wrote:
    Target Calibre? WTF is that supposed to mean?
    They could start pulling out that little gem for almost anything:mad:

That's what my fo said, new one on me, think they're going to grant it, still waiting ?

• Advertisement

That's what my fo said, new one on me, think they're going to grant it, still waiting ?

Well the .223 is not much used for target shooting. As discussed here on other threads, it's a calibre best suited to fox hunting.

So if your FO says it's not a traget calibre, you tell him he's spot on and that it's a calibre used for hunting foxes.

He can't argue with that, seeing as you're agreeing with him :D

rrpc wrote:
    Well the .223 is not much used for target shooting. As discussed here on other threads, it's a calibre best suited to fox hunting.

So if your FO says it's not a traget calibre, you tell him he's spot on and that it's a calibre used for hunting foxes.

He can't argue with that, seeing as you're agreeing with him :D

referred to 6.5x55 as not a target calibre, I want it to shoot target. so if I wanted to shoot deer, it wouldn't be suitable for shooting deer, probably

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

rrpc wrote:

I shoot targets with .223, and I remeber readin that one best shooters in F class used .223 handloads.

Best not to be giving miss information to already miss informed Gardaí :rolleyes:

And there's the AR-15 league as well.

But real fullbore target shooters are using 6mmBR and .308 ;)

Sparks wrote:
    And there's the AR-15 league as well.

But real fullbore target shooters are using 6mmBR and .308 ;)

What a snobish attitude, who has deemed these the "real" fullbore target calibres ?

What a snobish attitude, who has deemed these the "real" fullbore target calibres ?

It's not a snobbish attitude, it's just humour bunny; note the smiley.

Lots of people use lots of different calibres for lots of different things. If you were specifically taking up target shooting, the .223 wouldn't be the first port of call, neither would the 6.5x55 for that matter.

And before you start giving me examples of people shooting at targets with (whatever), with full-bore there are always exceptions because there are so many different options available and no limitations.

However, the vast majority of top end competitions are shot with the 6mm BrNorma. Before that, the 7.62 (.308) was the most popular. Something else may come along and replace them, but it also depends on the distance being shot. I know many fullbore shooters shoot at 100 yards, but the game really starts at 300m and goes out to 1000 yards and for that you need a heavier bullet.

Good grief man. It's friday. I mean, if you fell for that on monday morning, I could understand, but really!

There are elitist w.....s who think like this, not that ye are them ;)

What's acceptable to ye as humour doesn't mean it's humour to everyone :rolleyes:

There are elitist w.....s who think like this, not that ye are them ;)
    What's acceptable to ye as humour doesn't mean it's humour to everyone :rolleyes:
    See, the difference is that I'm not elitist, I just am better than you :p:D

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:
    See, the difference is that I'm not elitist, I just am better than you :p:D

Obviously:D

Advertisement