Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel town centre

Options
  • 02-09-2007 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Is it just me or does Clonmel town centre seem to be dying a death. The Last time i was home - about six months ago to be honest, a fair few pubs had closed for good and a couple of businesses gone too, either folded or moved to the bypass. I can't really think of any examples off-hand, McGowans Pub i suppose was one. As for businesses, tesco is a big one, and a few around Superquinn were also boarded up. My parents at home don't notice.

Anyway, is it in terminal decline or did i just see it at a bad time??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

There is major talk of trying to get c. 400 acres behind the dog track rezoned for a "sustainable" new development costing c1.5billion. The council are about to vote on it next week.

That will give an indication where the future lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

No way! behind the Dog track? I'm not sure where they'd put it but hopefully its true. Thats hardly the town centre though?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

i was away from ireland/clonmel for 2 years, iam just back and as far as i have seen, there is nothing new! it may not be dying but its sure as hell not growing

i was away from ireland/clonmel for 2 yr, iam back now and i haven't seen a change. it may not be dying but its sure as hell not growing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah Town centre is dying, shops are closing down by the week, Tesco's moving out was a big lose, its after getting rough down in the Town centre as well, imaging my surprise when on St Patricks day this year I run into a bunch of hoody yobs, 2 of them carrying AXES, and shouting and waving them around the place!!!!Cops need to get a grip with these scannger gangs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Clonmel's Tesco is gone? WOW that's a big loss for a town of it's size.
    Shannon is losing it's tesco too.

Clonmel's Tesco is gone? WOW that's a big loss for a town of it's size.
    Shannon is losing it's tesco too.

No they built a new super store on the by-pass, and closed down the one in the town centre, thus one less attraction to the town centre.

Snake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Whatever happened to that proposed Argos up at the old Chadwicks lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭SameDifference

Clonmel is as good as its ever been.

Superquinn is still open and thats the only shop that really matters...

freepost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

imo tesco is more suited out the by pass easier parking for shopping.Im sure it will be replaced by some high store chain in the near future similar to the way devanes was.I feel the town centre is improving since i was a child and it will be on a par with waterford soon

^^ cosign

but they could do with replacing some of the sports shops that have shut down

clonmel needs a place where you can do some shopping, as far as i know it has no shopping centers. nothing to compare it to waterford, and whats to do on week nights, there is nothing, no bowling ally, no place for youths, no live shows/gigs(where big bands can play). the concil needs to look to the intrest of the youth who are growning up here and who in turn will(or will not) live and work here

i was in the cinema a few weeks ago on a thursday night and by god was the town dead... all i saw was goups of young ppl with huds hanging around the place, i was looking over my shoulder ever second and i didn't chance the atm. i haven never seen that in clonmel, and was shocked and surprised, but hey times do change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

clansman wrote: »
    and whats to do on week nights, there is nothing, no place for youths. .
    Circles FTW :D:D

^^
    I actually took a girl there on a date...

^^

how long did it last?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

^^

Was that before or after the romantic candle-lit dinner in abrakebabra ????

ciano1 wrote: »
    Was that before or after the romantic candle-lit dinner in abrakebabra ????

Lol... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

There is a bowling alley

A subway is going in near the posthouse, and it looks like tescos has been bought.

I think more important then any of this is the rapid escalation of violence in Clonmel in the last year and a bit. I mean, whats that, 4 or 5 murders? Its shocking, and my deepest sympathies go to the families of all concerned. I know some of them pretty well (who doesn't, its small town). Its very sad to see my home town destroy itself with such hatred and anger

Yeah as an Ex-pat its sad to see it come up in the news every couple of months for the wrong reasons. Still enjoying going down and having a look around the shops in the town centre but everytime I'm down there there is at least 1 or 2 extra shops been boarded up since my last visit. I think the Tescos on the by-pass and the Poppyfields centre has pulled a lot of busines out of the town centre.

• Advertisement

ex pats ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 murray sparkle

One of the main reasons that the town centre is dying is that too many property owners are happy to leave their building empty in the hope that M&S or someone similar will ride into town and take the property off them. Also as a self employed business man with a few irons in the fire and living in Clonmel I just gave up on trying to lease property in the town. It's dying a death and the owners are still looking for Tokyo/Manhattan prices. For what? A town that is dying a death. Pretty soon it'll look like any UK high street, charity shops, mobile phone shops and fashion stores.

On another note the consistent presence of Clonmel in the news is doing it no favours either.

Answer me this - where can you get a decent take away cup of coffee on a Saturday afternoon in town? It's going backwards and it's a pity. I love the town there are good points but skangers are ruining it for everyone. There are too many tatoo parlours and stuff around the town. It just drags it down.

Ta ta"!

Murray!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Chevy RV wrote: »
    There is major talk of trying to get c. 400 acres behind the dog track rezoned for a "sustainable" new development costing c1.5billion. The council are about to vote on it next week.

That will give an indication where the future lies.

Oh really? 1.5 billion? Are they planning to launch a manned mission to mars?
    I think more important then any of this is the rapid escalation of violence in Clonmel in the last year and a bit. I mean, whats that, 4 or 5 murders? Its shocking, and my deepest sympathies go to the families of all concerned. I know some of them pretty well (who doesn't, its small town). Its very sad to see my home town destroy itself with such hatred and anger

I must admit Clonmel seems to have more than it's fair share of articles in the Irish Times lately relating to violent crime. Only this week one girl killed and her brother badly wounded. It's never nice to read about these things happening in what is a relatively small town.

I must admit Clonmel seems to have more than it's fair share of articles in the Irish Times lately relating to violent crime. Only this week one girl killed and her brother badly wounded. It's never nice to read about these things happening in what is a relatively small town.

Just on the case this week the girl and her brother are from a well respected family from the village of Newcastle. The scannger who did this is from Clonmel, even though he gave a different address when he was arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irishgem

There is a bowling alley but yeah....the town is pretty dead alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irishgem

One of the main reasons that the town centre is dying is that too many property owners are happy to leave their building empty in the hope that M&S or someone similar will ride into town and take the property off them. Also as a self employed business man with a few irons in the fire and living in Clonmel I just gave up on trying to lease property in the town. It's dying a death and the owners are still looking for Tokyo/Manhattan prices. For what? A town that is dying a death. Pretty soon it'll look like any UK high street, charity shops, mobile phone shops and fashion stores.

On another note the consistent presence of Clonmel in the news is doing it no favours either.

Answer me this - where can you get a decent take away cup of coffee on a Saturday afternoon in town? It's going backwards and it's a pity. I love the town there are good points but skangers are ruining it for everyone. There are too many tatoo parlours and stuff around the town. It just drags it down.

Ta ta"!

Murray!

No decent coffee shops, the one in the garden centre near dunnes on Waterford road is alright. Only decent coffee you can buy is take away and that's from the little shop in the hostpital!!!!!(Tchibo) or from the new garage at Tesco. Sad state of affairs alright!

Just on the case this week the girl and her brother are from a well respected family from the village of Newcastle. The scannger who did this is from Clonmel, even though he gave a different address when he was arrested.

Yeah, its very messed up. Everyone is messed up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Jeez, anybody out there got some nice things to say about Clonmel......... I'm waiting!!! as to the recent spate of violent incidents, guys.....its EVERYWHERE in this wonderful country of ours. So stop knocking and maybe mention a few good things about the place, yes Tescos moved out of the centre of town, but they went to the by pass, and brought us cheaper petrol! there is a bowling alley in town, and a decent cinema and as far as bands are concerned , you have the two pubs in irish town and mixed music mid week in some of the bigger pubs,(mulcahys) Salsa seems to be taking a hold as well!! big salsa introduction in mulcahys sunday night. So..stop taking the p1ss out of the place. As for the "scangers" yes we have them, like every town and village in Ireland! A problem this generation has to deal with as they weren't clipped around the ear when they were knee high to grasshoppers, and now have a chip on their shoulders and reckon WE owe them something!!!:D A great town, with great potential, businesses come and go, that is the nature of it, the problem is the estate agents.. their the ones bleeding the heart out of the town by pushing traders out due to ridiculous rents, and property prices. The rats and the sinking ship scenario guys. take heed, that pussy cat of the ninetys is definately dead! time to take stock. ENOUGH!! of my moaning and giving out... clonmel isn't the worst of em, so stop knocking her.:D

Oh no, only Clonmel people can say stuff bout it. My hometown is not for the knocking by other people

and it could be worse, say twenty minutes down the road, towards waterford worse.

• Advertisement

I think that clonmel needs some inner city development...

there is some buildings that could be being used which aren't

Advertisement