Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Long Shot......

Options
  • 02-09-2007 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭

this is a long shot but sure may as well try, anyone know the name or suggest a name that this device would be called:

ok,i dont have this thing but hypetetically speaking: i have the keys in my car and its running, i leave it in neutral with handbrake up, take keys out and engine still runs but when it is put into gear, it will turn off and refuse to move, these things are used in ambulance and some garda cars for accident scenes etc,

anyone know what such a device is called?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

A turbo timer will keep your engine running for a preset time after you switch off the ignition and remove the keys but as to cutting out if you try to move it, I don't know. I presume it would have to be an anti theft device built into turbo timers though.

Why do you require such a device?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Maybe this device does not actually exist and the OP is trying to get a feel for a potential idea for development and sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yeah maybe so. I wouldn't see any huge demand for it tbh. With the exception of a vehicle that powers a generator or some such and needs to be left unattended with the engine running for that reason.

Anyway the OP said that the device is already used in Garda and emergency vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

The japs have something very similar on some of their cars. You use you remote control to start the car in order to warm it up. If some scrote tries to steal the car, it'll cut out as soon as you press the accelerator. This is overridden by inserting the key

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Remote start is a common feature in hot/cold climates. Not sure it meets the OP description though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

i think it's called a run lock... mainly used by emergency services, so they can keep the engine running, keep lights & equipment powered up at an accident etc... .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

yup, the run lock locks like the job, just interested to know what it is called, its just me beinf nosy and just trying to see if i can have it on my car, i do what you could call deliveries in the winter and it means leaving the car for a few mins and it may not always be in sight so id like ta leave it on knowing it is relatively safe rather than leaving the keys in it

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

A friend of mine had a turbo timer on a car he bought that would turn off if the handbrake was let down. i have never fit one so not too sure what way they are wired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

They use them in Garda cars to prolong the life of the starter etc. If the cars going all day its better to leave it on rather than turning it on and off 20 - 30 times a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

craichoe wrote:
    They use them in Garda cars to prolong the life of the starter etc. If the cars going all day its better to leave it on rather than turning it on and off 20 - 30 times a day.
    One of the bikes we have in SERV has a run lock as well. Dead handy if you need to quickly run in somewhere for a few seconds.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Electrically I can't see it being that difficult to implement, most of the sensors are already in place - just needs another relay and a couple of odd bits... The only problem I can see is if there's an immobiliser tied to the key such that when the key is removed it shuts down the engine via the ECU rather than ignition power.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The only problem I can see is if there's an immobiliser tied to the key such that when the key is removed it shuts down the engine via the ECU rather than ignition power.

The immobiliser won't be a problem. The immobiliser coding is only read from the key at start up. Once the engine is up and running the immobiliser coding is not required until the next start up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

for any one who is interested, here is a video of how it works,

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=mWHlOidJ0uo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

It's called a Remote Start Engine and it comes as part of some Car Alarms (EVO4+ Falcon Pager Alarms) or as a separate module for a different alarm.

Very useful for cold mornings before getting the kids to school.
    Have one and I love it.

Advertisement