Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conferring tomorrow....

Options
  • 02-09-2007 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Time tomorrow for my conferring... Couple of questions:

Will there be a (wine) reception in O'Reilly Hall after the conferring ceremony? There is nothing to indicate this in the memo I got from the conferring unit.

What exactly will happen when you stand there in the queue to get up to the podium? Will they just mention your name, degree etc, or will they ask you something, like "do you hereby promise to be faithful to your alma mater" or similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My conferring's on Tuesday.
    Is it long? I can imagine it'll be pretty boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Sorry but what's a conferring? I assume it's related to graduation anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You're 'conferred' with your degree i.e. you graduate. The whole ceremony is pretty dull, its mostly in Latin and you've no idea whats going on. Also watching people file up to get their degrees is pretty boring. You don't have to say anything when getting the degree itself, that was all done as a group during conferring ceremony.

Think there is wine and sambos after. Law are graduating tomorrow so I'll head out on the phish with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

hmmm....kinda wierd that they would have it the same week as orientation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Rosita

Can anyone tell me the procedure with regard to the conferrings. I'm just wondering about cap and gown etc. do you have to get them entirely independently of the college or do they write in advance and give those details. I'm not due until December but am still wondering anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Sangre wrote:
    You're 'conferred' with your degree i.e. you graduate. The whole ceremony is pretty dull, its mostly in Latin and you've no idea whats going on.

Seriously? Cool. I keep meaning to learn latin, maybe this will spur me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

flodis79 wrote:
    Will they just mention your name, degree etc, or will they ask you something, like "do you hereby promise to be faithful to your alma mater" or similar?

For gods sake you are leaving UCD not joing the secret service! This made me laugh I gotta say :D No offence !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You'll get sent all the gown forms in the weeks before graduation, you pick it up at OReilly Hall.

The actual conferring is in latin but there some speeches in English. Brady gave us one about how great UCD and how the future is bright etc., Ehh...and how does that help graduates? Basically trying to convince either our parents or us to send more kids there.

Advertisement