Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

About to buy a 205 gti

Options
  • 02-09-2007 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi guys im on the verge of buying a peugeot 205 gti 1.6, i was just wondering what to expect? i've heard they're still pretty fast compared to modern cars? is there any problems i should be expecting?

PS does anyone know of one for sale :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They feel pretty fast but thats not the same thing!

The 1.6 is the wiser buy, cheaper to insure and tax while the transmission shunt they can be prone to is less than the 1.9 version.

How can you be on verge of buying one if you looking for one?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Why not go the whole hog and buy the 1.9 GTi? The 1.9 is famous for the number 130 - that was its bhp and mph at the top end.

Be prepared for woeful reliability, but if you can find a good one(which will be hard) they are meant to be a brilliant car(never driven any 205, that was well before my time, but anyone I know that did drive one said they are fantastic), and remember the 205 was the best handling car of the time, and that was only the standard one, the GTi was better still.
    There are rust issues with them too, and the quality of the interior wouldnt be acceptable in an American car even then.

The 1.9 was supposed to be VERY fast. Its certainly the 205 GTi to have.

A car that can do 130 mph is still fairly fast by todays standards, back then it was phenomonal. A 205 type of car that does 130 mph is still fast for that type of car 20+ years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've driven a 1.9 and loved it. I tried to buy one, but couldn't find the right car and ended up with a 16v Golf. Watch out for lift-off oversteer, if you do hit anything it's most likely lights out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 johnrd

mike65 wrote:

How can you be on verge of buying one if you looking for one?

Mike.

Im going to look at one during the week but i want to see a few before i pick the best one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

As for advice on buying one, try to get the 87+ model as opposed to the earlier version as it has the cylinder head from the 1.9 meaning its got more kick and they seem to be less prone to gasket trouble. Also they came from the factory with drum brakes on the rear but alot of people fitted rear disks after purchase, and you can really feel the difference when driving, so if you have a few options, try to get one that has been fitted with disks, or maybe think about getting them done yourself after you buy it. Aswell obviously make sure it has an NCT. A couple of small but annoying problems there also prone to are leaking into the boot through the lock and oil leaks at the dizzy housing so keep an eye out for that too. Also PM Eurotrotter as he had a similar thread going a while ago and see how he got on, if he has any info on where to look for a decent one ect. Wonderfull car to drive and one that is almost certain to keep increasing in value if you keep it in good condition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Finally, some topic I can contribute to,

I drove around 100 000km with 205 Peugeot, non-gti though. I bet I am the only one in the forum who has driven that car in -27 or if that is not enough, over frozen sea :)

Where to start,

My car was model 1988, it were sold in 2005 after 17 years of driving and 205 000km in the clock, no problems with rust. If there is any rust issues, it is usually in the back, under the spare wheel (or actually over) since the spare is outside of the car, so take the wheel out and you can see.

Some 205 cars have a problem with back suspension, because there is a missing lubricant in the back axel, look the car in the backside, if the back wheels are not straight, but bent inside, then it means that car needs new back axel, and it is pain to change.

Engine has (at least 1.4) problems with oil consumption, there is a fix but I think it needs that engine is opened to fix it, it did take around 1 litre of oil to 1000km when problem was around.

Other problems with engine are water pump. Definitely make sure that water pump has been changed when timing belt is changed, because (at least in 1.4 models) timing belt runs the water pump as well.

In addition, starter and alternator are quite weak.

Other problems are brakes and front suspension. My car failed 7 years in a row (every year NTC) because there were always something loose or broken in the front. Brakes also break down easily, including hand brake. Problem with handbrake is that hand brake cables can easily start to connect to rear wheels because cables are too long / too close the rear wheels, so cables break down, water goes in and, well at least in winter hand brake will froze.

Drivers seat collapsed, had to be replaced, but I think gti has better seats.

Some problems there were with electronics, like blower etc that did break down.

So summarize, problems with the car are not rust, but front suspension, brakes, engine, electronics and back suspension in this order.

Handling even in no gti model is really good, but beware! If you push the car too much especially in the snow, but of course in wet tarmac as well, it will lift of so fast that if you do not know precisely what to you will crash the car. If you think that you can press the clutch down and that way fix the over steering, well you will make that mistake twice, first and last time. ONLY way to correct over steering is keep the throttle down and use steering to fix the slide. DO NOT press clutch because car will spin instantly. You need to know what to do with this car because otherwise especially in the roundabouts you will leave the road quite fast. Left foot braking is something you should learn to do with this car, and then you can balance the car in the corners much better. Again, if you need to think how to do this, then it is too late!

Steering is fantastic at least in non-gti, with good tyres you can feel right through steering how much grip you got.

In addition, buy the car. It has many problems mechanically, but it is definitely an interesting car to have.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

205 GTI was a great car. Wheeler Dealers tv show did a restoration job on a 1.9. Car looked very smart in white.

Normal rules of buying an old car apply. Look at a few, and buy the best one you can afford. Leave a budget for repairs too. GTI's are likely to have lived hard lives, so look out for accident damage.

The people in the know suggest an earlier pre cat car is the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have driven both 1.6 and 1.9 and either is a superb little car. Although 1.9 certainly is more gruff.

They have 0 safety features bar brakes which makes it lighter than a modern car and therefore the 1.6 plenty pokey to pull it around.
    The lack of electronic aids makes it a proper driving experience too, what fun you'll have.

Only thing I will warn to watch for is the rear end in the wet as they have been known to want to swap ends if your a bit ham fisted mid corner.

I have never heard them to be too unreliable ( I think some painting with the French brush might be going on here ). Although interior plastics can be dire.
    I think the after though of a sunroof on the 1.9 got at a later date had a tendency to leak water.

I personally preferd the Clio 16v and 5GT turbo ( I bought one instead of 205) but the 205 seems to have been the popular choice and when they are this close - everyone wins.

Miami Blue with the 1.9 alloys would be my choice.

I am jealous. Please post some pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

mike65 wrote:
    They feel pretty fast but thats not the same thing!
    [\QUOTE]

Does anyone remember the Top Gear where they did quarter mile standing start races to see if new cars were slower than old cars? I think the 206 GTI beat the 205 GTI fairly convincingly. I was sure the 205 would have won without all the extra weight of newer cars but again maybe the 205 feels faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

My experinces of an 88 1.6 GTI were all good, although I was younger and braver (stupiter) then.
    The handling was it's strong point, and in dry conditions all you had to do was point the front where you wanted to go and you never had to worry about the back!!! (within reason)
    lack of power steering makes it a bitch round town and the ride is VERY firm, it handled abit like a go-cart.

• Advertisement
Advertisement