Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry & Price of Persia - the Sands of Time FREE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

add supported, does that mean adds in game I wonder

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, there are ad-placements on the menu screens anyway. And on loading screens i think. Still, for a completly free (and legit) version, its a pretty good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, from what I read the ads only appear on menus and loading screens - nothing intrusive. Take note, EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

According to the files on Gamershell you also need an Ubi.com account and have to be living in the US. (haven't downloaded this to confirm though).

From EA, C&C Gold is also released free, no ads or restrictions, just the iso's. Nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Going to try and download PoP now and see how it goes. I can only assume that they will say something about US only when I actually download the thing (lousy fileplanet queues, 40 minutes *mumble*) but I havent been stopped yet, so here's hoping.
    And since I have never played the game in it's entirety (only a nights rental on release) I think the price of free is quite nice. If it works, FarCry will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You just have to say you're in the US, the game will still work.

Slutmonkey - when I mentioned EA I was referring to their advertising techniques in new games that you have to pay for (see BF2142 and pretty much all the <insert genre here> 2008 EA sports games) :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Playing PoP here. Those ads are incredibly intrusive. The 10/15 second video ad every time you die is particularly punishing. Luckily, my deaths are rare now that I have the dagger of time. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Does the free FarCry support multiplayer? if so.. :)!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Steven wrote:
    Playing PoP here. Those ads are incredibly intrusive. The 10/15 second video ad every time you die is particularly punishing. Luckily, my deaths are rare now that I have the dagger of time. :)

What sort of ads are they- for other games? Maybe they should spruce it up with irony like ads for swiss army knives with stop watches that crop up in the corner as you rewind or perhaps a universal remote control. For farcry they'd naturally have ads for guns- Jack Thompson would just love that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

you can disable the adds by installing the game with the internet connection disabled then block the farcry exe with your firewall. This requires a fresh install as if the farcry exe has already had a chance to connect to the internet then its already cached the ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

This whole thing stinks like rat farts. Get us used to the idea of being raped with ads so they become more and more acceptable until ye have ads every fiften minutes like on tv. Shameless *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

to be honest the ads are a bit annoying ... but the games are great :)

I'd never played PoP apart from the original :) and am completely blown away by it ...

I can live with the adverts ... its slightly annoying but for free games like these ... wow :) hopefully this will happen more in future :)

What sort of ads are they- for other games? Maybe they should spruce it up with irony like ads for swiss army knives with stop watches that crop up in the corner as you rewind or perhaps a universal remote control. For farcry they'd naturally have ads for guns- Jack Thompson would just love that!

McDonald's banners plastering the menus screens (which isn't the least bit annoying, and easily ignored) and one single McDonald's video on every loading screen, be it loading fmv, a saved game, or just loading up the menu screens on startup. One single unskippable video.

I really wish they'd put in more than one ad, because now I never want to hear the words "Taste the rich life", or eat in McDonald's, ever again.

It was so bad that I played through it in two sittings so as to avoid unnecessary loading. Disabling the ads, if you can, is a necessity.
    forbairt wrote:
    I'd never played PoP apart from the original and am completely blown away by it ...

I thought it was very polished, but I thought the combat was a little simplistic, and found the entire game terribly easy.

Although, I suppose it's hard to look difficult if you're comparing it to the original. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Geez McDonalds' ads? Hey kids, whilst you play games all day why not have a couple of big macs ya fat lil' tykes! Heck if those videos came up everytime you died you'd want the game to be bloody easy which it is but that doesn't take away from its goodness! Can you imagine playing the original with booze adverts in between each death, surely you'd be an alcoholic by level 3!

Can't recommend SOT enough though, eally pleasently surprised by it, lovely obstacle courses. Great narrative too, i was surprised they managed to create so much depth (not alot but alot more than i expected) from so little story. Combat is a bit simplistic but its way better than the "dark" killer combo fest of a sequel. Great game to get free even if with the advets.

Gentlemen, I bring spices, finest silk and fantastic tales from the east.

If you run FRAPS with PoP, the ads are disabled. It may work for the other games too. If anyone's downloaded Far Cry or Raving Rabbids, let us know.

I know there's a mod that disables the ads in Far Cry, but it changes gameplay too, so FRAPS would be a better choice if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Thanks for the heads up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

What are the ads on far cry?, I didnt notice any on the menus or in game, only played it for 15 mins though.

Doesnt seem like its multiplayer either, it asks for a cd key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Nice find. Also here's a working link to Ghost Recon. :)

http://www.gamershell.com/news/41338.html

• Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

how the hell do you get past the american thing. Downloaded it no probs, but won't let me install cause i am not living in america. The ubisoft account i am using is set to United States, with a New York Zip code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

This whole thing stinks like rat farts. Get us used to the idea of being raped with ads so they become more and more acceptable until ye have ads every fiften minutes like on tv. Shameless *****.

The games are FREE and your complaining?

jesus christ.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Tauren wrote:
    how the hell do you get past the american thing. Downloaded it no probs, but won't let me install cause i am not living in america. The ubisoft account i am using is set to United States, with a New York Zip code.

Should work? All them worked for me. Used 90210. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'll set up another ubi.com account with my work email today, and try installing it tonight - hopefully it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

FYI, I believe the link are down temporarily.

Advertisement