Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When are new Garmin maps out?

• 02-09-2007 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when the next version of Garmin maps for the Nuvi 660 are out?

The one we are currently using is City Navigator Europe NT v9, no sign of new motorway in cork and some odd roads here and there around the country.

Sorry if this is a real noob question!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Expect the update disc to be available from December, this is what I was informed of by the guys at Garmin UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

yeah my garmin came with v9 of the maps too...
    and i have to say they are pretty ****ty from my experience over the last few days....
    Any idea how much the new maps will be? they are a must...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Tiesto wrote:
    yeah my garmin came with v9 of the maps too...
    and i have to say they are pretty ****ty from my experience over the last few days....
    Any idea how much the new maps will be? they are a must...

Have you already registered your Garmin? If not, wait until the new maps are out and then register it with a purchase date after the maps have been released and Garmin will send up an update disc FOC.

With regards to the current maps, you must have very high expectation if you think their current maps are ****e. Navtaq are at present supposedly the best for Irish coverage. The version 9 maps are up to Sept 06 if memory serves me right. So therefore any road not open then would not have been included.

damn i made the rookie error of registering it the day i got it..
    ahwell..
    I wont mind paying for them..
    No the current maps arent ****..
    Was driving around the other night and with all the roadworks in Dublin, diversions etc etc was really frustrating..
    I can hardly expect the maps to have these changes.
    I was just annoyed when I had written the post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Anyone know what date the new maps will up up to date to, ie if V9 was up to date to Sept 06, what date will V10 be up to date to ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Aquos76 wrote:
    Have you already registered your Garmin? If not, wait until the new maps are out and then register it with a purchase date after the maps have been released and Garmin will send up an update disc FOC.

I thought I read somewhere in this forum that they will update your maps for the 660 if you bought it within a year of the new maps being released? Maybe wishful thinking on my part.

I've no complaints with the maps so far...its missing some of the newer roads as mentioned and did try o send me down a one way street in Cork but its been excellent around Dublin anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

The current garmin maps are grand ,I use them everyday for various parts of Dublin . Some counties aswell.

Some streets have the street numbers in the wrong place ,but thats it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

The current versions is missing the new N2, Kinnegad - Kilbeggan on the N6, parts of the N11 and numerous roundabouts around Mullingar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The Kinnegad - Kilbeggan has only bloody opened and the N2 had only opened after the last update came out. No one can expect updates to come out after every new piece of road or roundabout appears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

I think they should update their maps on a six montly basis not yearly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Would I be right in saying that the current (v9 ?) maps aren't complete
    with regards to sections of the Ennis bypass .. Our first outing with
    the Nuvi 360 about 2 months ago I recall that it showed us as being
    off road when we hit a 4-6km stretch of the Ennis bypass.

-ifc

At least with garmin you can update the maps.

There are units that don't have any support at all and the maps are as old as the hills.:mad:

I think they should update their maps on a six montly basis not yearly

I think they should update their maps on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm sure Garmin (who license the maps from NavTeq) would be more than happy to update the maps with greater frequency.. All they need is some people with lots of money and not a lot of sense to pay for regular updates (and the increased costs for regular media manufacturing etc).

In this country, we only get (guess-work here!) 20-30 major new roads/extensions every year, so more regular updates wouldn't be cost effective, for Garmin, or for you. Before the advent of GPS, did you update your paper maps every six months? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

You can update the maps directly from navteq if you want although the end of year ones that garmin would acquire are the most comprehensive ones :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Are you sure about that? Garmin would typically use their own technology to compress the maps they get from NavTeq, and package them specifically for their hardware.. I don't think you can get an update direct from NavTeq for a Garmin unit, you have to get it from Garmin.

Are you sure about that? Garmin would typically use their own technology to compress the maps they get from NavTeq, and package them specifically for their hardware.. I don't think you can get an update direct from NavTeq for a Garmin unit, you have to get it from Garmin.

Some garmin rep told us it a few weeks back but I haven't been able to find it at all. He probably..... just didnt have a clue:p

If thats the case Dj Hafez, what copyrights do garmin have on their own software then ?

_Brian_ wrote:
    If thats the case Dj Hafez, what copyrights do garmin have on their own software then ?

Couldn't tell ya! Just passing on a message I was told (obviously was wrong though) :p

Advertisement