Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CM Punk *will contain future ECW spoilers!*

• 02-09-2007 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭

And spoiler tags for the retards who can't read the titles ;)
    Apparently he's won the ECW title from John Morrison at an ECW/SD TV Taping. Although this is probably down to Morrisons suspension rather than WWE having faith in Punk.

Bottom of the barrel for WWE
    VR!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'm sure they do have faith in him, otherwise he wouldn't have been in a title match on the last 3 or 4 ppvs. Another win for the straight-edge army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭hammy140

So, honkytonkman 2007 is suspended, interesting...

Does anyone think the end of ECW(we) is nigh?

with originals gone, new ECWers gone (Test, Holly etc), they really are at the bottom of the barrel as VR said...

Gonna watch Impact from Bravo 2, a refreshing alternative!

Black Machismo rules, Oooh Yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If you had been watching ECW recently it's gotten quite good. Morrisson was a brilliant heel, Big Daddy V was credible, the Miz was finally getting a big push although I've got a feeling that Balls Mahoney will beat him and they still have Cor Von and Burke. The commentary also seems to have improved.

Also I'm presuming your taking the piss by saying it's gotten worse since test left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭hammy140

Dunno, watched it religiously at the start, just haven't watched it in a while now. Abdullah V looks bad in my opinion.

Test rules man ha ha:) :D

hammy140 wrote:
    So, honkytonkman 2007 is suspended, interesting...

Does anyone think the end of ECW(we) is nigh?

with originals gone, new ECWers gone (Test, Holly etc), they really are at the bottom of the barrel as VR said...

Gonna watch Impact from Bravo 2, a refreshing alternative!

Black Machismo rules, Oooh Yeah!

ECW is one of the highest rated programs on Sci-Fi, it's very unlikely that they'll get rid of it

Once upon a time Impact was good. But it was responsible for the two single most horrible wrestling shows I've seen since then end of WCW recently. Apparently last week's show was ok, but ECW has blown Impact away for the last few months for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I just watched the match between Punk and Morrisson and it's the best match I've seen them have together. It seemed to me like the two of them didn't gel very well with one another but this match (which might be their last one for a good while) was entertaining.

I hope they give Punk a decent run with the strap but I wouldn't put money on it knowing their love for meatheads...

Just watched the match and it was very good. Definitely one of the better tv matches from WWE in a while. They told a good story, although Punk was still all over Morrison most of the time. Crowd really got into it, worth watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

It was a very good match. I would have preferred if the suspensions happened before SummerSlam though, as I thought the match there was better, until the cheap finish. It would have been a great match if Punk went over.

As much as I like Punk, Morrison is the man, hands down. His promo on ECW last week was amazing. It was the first I had heard of the "Guru of Greatness" & "Tuesday Night Delight", I was laughing pretty hard throughout. The subtle Doors lyric references are gold. The slow motion entrance is a stroke of genius too.

Roll on 30 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

I dont get CM Punk not saying he's a bad wrestler but I just dont see what the big deal about him is I only watch WWE so I havent seen him in ROH or anything. I was expecting him to be great with all the internet hype about him and he seems to have alot of fans . But Ive yet to see him do anything impressive IMO Matt hardy or MVP or carlito or basicly anybody along those lines are as good if not better than him can sombody please explain the big deal with the guy?

Until you hear him cut an unscripted promo, you'll never know. I've never had him down as anything special in the ring.

• Advertisement

I'd be in the same boat. In his feud with Morrisson, I thought he was outclassed everytime in the ring and in particular on the mic.

Punk is one of the best around on the mic, but WWE have only ever given him a few scripted lines to say. Doesn't really work for him. He's had some matches in ECW that have been all about headlocks and forearms, which is something I never saw from him before he got onto tv. ECW Punk is sort of a watered-down Punk, but I'm always going to be a huge fan of his regardless

In fairness, the matches that are considered Punk's best are Joe vs Punk series, which contain alot of headlocks!

I understand that he was brilliant in ROH and all that (even though I've never seen it ) but I really can't see why kids have taken to him. He's like the anti-stone cold who 10 years ago was the idol of all the kids. It baffles me. His finisher is fairly poor (I know the plunge is good but the GTS is pretty lame) and I really don't see how a straight edge life style would appeal to young kids unless soccer moms are forcing them on their children

Well I think young kids in America like the idea of the straight edge lifestyle, it's only until they reach the age where they start doing it that they realise how cool drinking and doing drugs are. And I am being half-serious. TBH I agree, I'm shocked at how over Punk is. When he debuted the crowd went apesh*t for him, but that was the Hammerstein Ballroom. Maybe that had a snowball effect and the kids cheered for him because others did. Kids are that silly.

And I think the GTS is one of the more believable finishers going. A knee to the face is going to hurt. It's a lot better than the Backstabber or whatever MVP's move is.

But the ECW finishers are class. The pounce, Elijah Express and the Mizard of Ozz all look better from where I'm standing

I like the Pounce that looks genuinely painful, but for me the Express is just a setup for a finisher. I have the same problem with the Backstabber. I have to say I'm not familiar with the Mizard of Ozz. I half remember the Miz doing a cool move on Balls Mahoney last week, that must have been it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

pingu_girl wrote:
    I dont get CM Punk not saying he's a bad wrestler but I just dont see what the big deal about him is I only watch WWE so I havent seen him in ROH or anything. I was expecting him to be great with all the internet hype about him and he seems to have alot of fans . But Ive yet to see him do anything impressive IMO Matt hardy or MVP or carlito or basicly anybody along those lines are as good if not better than him can sombody please explain the big deal with the guy?

I've not been bowled over by him either and I think the hype surrounding him is a bit much. Many ROH fans were acting like he was the complete article when he's clearly not. Even so I think he has a certain something about him and I can see him being a big star down the line. He needs a bit of time.

Advertisement