Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband.

Options
  • 02-09-2007 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

Anyone in the Dublin 22 area with the Max package?

I was considering ordering this in the next while but I need some reports first.
    What about the monthly usage limit? 40gb is a bit low for the speed anyway to get More?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Customer service is awful. Reliability is very hit and miss. Don't think there's a way to get a higher download limit.

You could try Irish Broadband. They give you unlimited cap and their Breeze product has improved a lot since the problems last year. (Their Ripwave product is still a disaster though).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I've had the past 2 years. Think its been down for a total of two days in that time so can't see how that would described as "hit & miss"

Received a letter once saying "in fairness to othr customers please remain below levels", which was fair enough

Only dealt with customer service twice. Once they asnwered quicly and dealt with me efficiently. other time it took forever to get through but in the end they sorted it. According to people on the cable TV forum, their customer service has improved dramatically since the change over to UPC.

Dodge wrote:
    I've had the past 2 years. Think its been down for a total of two days in that time so can't see how that would described as "hit & miss"

I've had broadband down for weeks at a time on several occasions, and have had customer service refuse to tell me what was wrong or even admit there was an issue. In one case, it was a simple case of the cable modem they gave us resetting itself and needing a username and password when it booted back up, but it took 2 weeks of ringing every day to get that out of them.

Though I can see how you wouldn't describe it as "hit".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

In all fairness dodge with the amount of people on here that have had so many disgracefull problems with NTL , I don't see how you can question someone saying its hit and miss based on your particular expearience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Alright than, feck them. Irish broadband is an option. Its around the same price too. Do I have to have a static ip with them?

• Advertisement

Alright than, feck them. Irish broadband is an option. Its around the same price too. Do I have to have a static ip with them?

Yup. At least with the "business" version anyway, which is the best one to ask for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 singularity

Stark wrote:
    Yup. At least with the "business" version anyway, which is the best one to ask for.

What does it mean to have a business version? I thought it was just a price issue, am I missing something?

There's not much different between the SOHO package and the Home package. They do say you get a "service level agreement" with the business version, not sure how much good that is really. I'm not sure if you get the static IP with the home version, but you definitely get it with the SOHO version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

In all fairness dodge with the amount of people on here that have had so many disgracefull problems with NTL , I don't see how you can question someone saying its hit and miss based on your particular expearience with them.
    Fair enough. I as just pointing out my experiences. Don't always read this bit of the forum so not sure what the consensus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

do you not need to have a registered business for the SOHO package!?
    It's cheaper than it's home counterpart so that would be fantastic!
    I want it! Just don't want to try it in case they come after me! lol

• Advertisement

You don't have to be a registered business. I signed up to them before and the woman on the phone advised me to go with the business option instead of the home option even though I told her I was a home user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I've never had any problems with NTL. I think it was down for 2 days in the last 4-5 years. Granted the customer service needs alot of work. If your in an upgraded area I would recommend it, if its an old system they just made 2 way I'd probably would look else where.

Stark wrote:
    You don't have to be a registered business. I signed up to them before and the woman on the phone advised me to go with the business option instead of the home option even though I told her I was a home user.

online signup requires a business name... anyone have any ideas for one for me!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 singularity

do you not need to have a registered business for the SOHO package!?
    It's cheaper than it's home counterpart so that would be fantastic!
    I want it! Just don't want to try it in case they come after me! lol

There's no VAT on the business packages.

Ah right, makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Irish broadband is an option.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Freddie59 wrote:

To you too mister!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

if you can get Smart go with that, but main point is ****ing avoid NTL!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think the Vast majority of NTL users like myself have a consistently good experience (bar Customer support). However if any particular area has problems then everyone there has those problems.

Smart isn't available here or I would get it in a heart beat...

Well, thanks everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement