Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alloy Corrosion

Options
  • 02-09-2007 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi,

I recently got a 2004 BMW 320D ES from the UK,the car is great and everything. However, I noticed that there is some bubbling or blistering on the alloys, in the centre where the nuts are mostly. It has actually flaked off on one part which doesn't look good if noticed.. Can anyone advice on this? Is this normal?? The car is bearly 3 and a half years old.. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kjk1981 wrote:
    Hi,

I recently got a 2004 BMW 320D ES from the UK,the car is great and everything. However, I noticed that there is some bubbling or blistering on the alloys, in the centre where the nuts are mostly. It has actually flaked off on one part which doesn't look good if noticed.. Can anyone advice on this? Is this normal?? The car is bearly 3 and a half years old.. :o

I would imagine that it could be down to that in the UK they put salt on the icey roads in the winter. This can cause serious corrosion and rust especially underneath the car.

I know Lexus had a similiar problem with the IS200 a few years back, fortunately they replaced the alloy wheels under warrenty. Not sure if the problem was ever common enough for BMW to do the same.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Samething happened me (with aftermarket wheels). Thinking back, happened a short while after being on a beach with the car. Explains alot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Aluminium doesn't corrode.

Sounds like cheap aftermarket wheels made from a cheap composite...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Bluefoam wrote:
    Aluminium doesn't corrode.

Sounds like cheap aftermarket wheels made from a cheap composite...

My thoughts exactly! Hence why Im looking for decent wheels now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

aluminium does not corrode but few alloy wheels are made of it. the problem happens if there is a small break in the laquer coating. salt in and then corrosion, hence the bubbling effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh its the lacquer thats peeling, bubbling, you can get them refurbed and re coated if its bad enough to warrant doin that as i'm not sure but i'd imagine it can be costly.

Theres a mobile service in Dublin that will come to you and refurbish your wheels - alternatively you cold just get a new set for between €900 = €1200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kjk1981

Bluefoam wrote:
    Theres a mobile service in Dublin that will come to you and refurbish your wheels - alternatively you cold just get a new set for between €900 = €1200

Im not in Dublin but I can be if necessary to get it done. Not sure if its bad enough yet.. Buying a new set is not an option Im afraid.. Can anyone advise me on treating it to stop it from getting worse?? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Bluefoam wrote:

This firm does not carry out alloy refurbishments which seems to be what you require.

Any information on a firm which does alloy refurbishment in the Munster area would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ballyneety Tyres repair and repaint alloys.

Contact John Collins 087 7595476.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

emm ...aluminium (and its alloys) DOES corrode !

On blank metal the first few nanometers of the surface would oxydise and go dull, which then stops further corrosion.

Now dull alloys would look stupid, so they get highly polished and then laquered.

Any crack in the laquer will let in water and oxydise the surface, causing a minor bubble...which in turn lets in more water, which makes it worse and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Littleguy

Finish and Touches, mobile service will come to you. 0876888862. Not very expensive and the finish is as good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Littleguy wrote:
    Finish and Touches, mobile service will come to you. 0876888862. Not very expensive and the finish is as good as new.

Is this firm based in Munster though ?

Advertisement