Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to port forward (through a modem and router)

Options
  • 02-09-2007 6:48pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to set up my broadband connection so I can forward a port to uTorrent.

At the moment my set up is this - Zyxel Prestige 600 modem, connected to a Netgear WGR614v6 router, connected to my laptop via WiFi. The connection is a 2mb BT Ireland one.

So first thing's first - I need to set up a static IP address... only thing is I can't find the DNS/Name server address for BT; does anyone know it??

And when I'm trying to sort out my static IP address should I connect to the wireless router or directly to the modem (and which connection should I edit the details on?)

After that, how difficult will it be to set up a forwarded port through a modem and then a router? I am using portforward.com to help me out and that has some info on forwarding a port through two routers but I don't know if it'll be easy to do!

Thanks for any help!

(if this should be in another forum please accept my apologies and feel free to move)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'm not just posting this to bump the thread, I just want to give more info and maybe someone can help.

What I'm trying to find out is the DNS details for my connection so I can set up a static IP... I also need to find out which connection I put those details in (the one made through the router or the one made directly to the modem).
    I'm also trying to figure out my external and internal IP addresses for both my modem and my router and the IP address for my computer (which I assume will be the one I set as the static IP).

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I don't think I'm even nearly understanding how this is supposed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Can you clarify which '600 series' modem you have? 630 and 623 are common in Ireland but there are others too - check the label underneath.

It's the 623 (623R-T1 if that helps any more!)

And how is it connected?
    • 623 in bridge mode connected to the WAN port of the Netgear
    • 623 in normal mode connected to a LAN port of the Netgear
    • 623 in normal mode connected to WAN port of Netgear (ie. double-NAT)

Snowbat wrote:
    And how is it connected?
    • 623 in bridge mode connected to the WAN port of the Netgear
    • 623 in normal mode connected to a LAN port of the Netgear
    • 623 in normal mode connected to WAN port of Netgear (ie. double-NAT)

I'm going to assume it's number two - I just have the ethernet from the modem going into the 'in' or 'internet' ethernet port of the Netgear - I didn't set it up in any particular way and used the netgear's automatic wizard on set up.

• Advertisement

That'll be number 3 if it is connected to the internet port of the Netgear. That will make port forwarding awkward - you'd have to configure the Zyxel to forward certain ports to the Netgear's private IP address and then configure the Netgear to forward those ports to the target machine.

What I'd do if I were you is switch the Zyxel from routing mode to RFC1483 bridging mode (turning it into a dumb modem), then enter your ISP login details in the Netgear. Once you have that working, you'll only have to deal with port forwarding functions on the Netgear.

An alternative approach is to disable DHCP on the Netgear and connect the Zyxel to a free LAN (not internet) port on the Netgear. Then you'll only have to deal with the port forwarding functions on the Zyxel.

Sorry I can't be more specific - the links to the Zyxel 623R-T1 User Guide seem to be broken:
    http://www.zyxel.com.sg/web/product_family_detail.php?PC1indexflag=20040812093058&CategoryGroupNo=151B769B-F473-40A5-AE4F-D0C6DC3090A2

Snowbat wrote:
    That'll be number 3 if it is connected to the internet port of the Netgear. That will make port forwarding awkward - you'd have to configure the Zyxel to forward certain ports to the Netgear's private IP address and then configure the Netgear to forward those ports to the target machine.

What I'd do if I were you is switch the Zyxel from routing mode to RFC1483 bridging mode (turning it into a dumb modem), then enter your ISP login details in the Netgear. Once you have that working, you'll only have to deal with port forwarding functions on the Netgear.

An alternative approach is to disable DHCP on the Netgear and connect the Zyxel to a free LAN (not internet) port on the Netgear. Then you'll only have to deal with the port forwarding functions on the Zyxel.

Sorry I can't be more specific - the links to the Zyxel 623R-T1 User Guide seem to be broken:
    http://www.zyxel.com.sg/web/product_family_detail.php?PC1indexflag=20040812093058&CategoryGroupNo=151B769B-F473-40A5-AE4F-D0C6DC3090A2

OK - so when I go into the router and click LAN IP setup - there's a box that says "Use router has DHCP server" which is ticked. Do I just untick it to disable that function, then put the modem's ethernet into one of the four lan ports on the router?

Yes, uncheck 'Use router as DHCP server' on the Netgear and move the modem from the internet port to one of the unused LAN ports.

Netgear have a page describing this setup:
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp

Snowbat wrote:
    Yes, uncheck 'Use router as DHCP server' on the Netgear and move the modem from the internet port to one of the unused LAN ports.

Netgear have a page describing this setup:
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp

That seems to have done the trick - many thanks!

(I assume the only difference in my set up now is that I have one less LAN slot and I can't log into my netgear? Can't see anything else that's changed, anyway!)

Here's one more-specific to your Netgear model:
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101496.asp

You should be able to log in to your Netgear if you give it an IP address as detailed on that page. No other changes I can think of. The Zyxel 623 is a modem/router combo and the routing functions are duplicated in your Netgear - this setup bypasses Netgear routing entirely so the Zyxel routing functions (including port forwarding) can work as intended.

• Advertisement

I'm having trouble with my connections and I can only assume this is connected to the reason.

Basically the port forwarding worked fine and my internet connection works fine, however the other pc in my house cannot connect to the net via a wireless connection now no matter what I try.

If I tell it to find an IP address automatically it can't and if I give it a static IP it can connect to the wireless connection but cannot connect to the internet.

As an aside I cannot find my wireless router, which should be at 192.168.0.99; not a huge deal but it's handy to have it accessible... anyone know what could be going wrong here?

I've put my laptop on a static address and it's fine but no matter what I do the other PC can't connect to the internet (it can see the wireless network and even connect to it with a static IP, just can't get onto the internet)

Advertisement