Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eliminating bleep sound when changing master volume

• 02-09-2007 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Does anyone know if it is possible to eliminate the bleep sound that occurs when you change the master volume on a dell laptop running xp?!

It's so annoying, it even occurs when the computer is muted!

I've tried the audio options in the control panel and it doesnt even appear. I even located the windows sound files folder and it wasnt there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Is it when you press the keyboard shortcut buttons?

I think most laptops have dedicated processes or applications running in the background to handle those, so maybe if you disabled them... although you might lose the on-screen notification if there is one.
    I've no idea what it would be called, but it would be most likely in the startup and most likely begin with "de".
    If you know what you're doing you could try killing each one in turn and then seeing when it goes away.

I recommend Process Explorer to do this, non system process are easier to differentiate from Task Manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 scooochie4

Thanks for the reply! It happens when i try to adjust the volume by clicking on the speaker icon on the bottom right of the screen.

It makes a really loud bleep when i set the volume higher or lower. It even comes from the computer when I have headphones plugged in!!! Thats not a joke! Whoever designed that is an idiot!

Anyway, i guess i could just adjust the volume using the buttons on the keyboard. Its just not as quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > "Sounds" Tab

Under Program Events, change the "Default Beep" to "None".

The problem is that depending on the machine, you may hear the PC speaker instead of windows XP, and this will also cause other programs to stop notifying you when stuff goes wrong.

Of course, from what you describe it sounds like the PC speaker is already issuing a dirty big BEEP! whenever you change the sound - which means that the above has already been done. So do it in reverse - click on "Default Beep" and change it from "None" to "Windows XP Ding.wav". This gives a much more discrete "Thunk" which will also only come through the earphones when you have them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 scooochie4

great, thanks for the help!

Advertisement