Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help...simple translation needed....

Options
  • 02-09-2007 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Didn't know where to post this request so trying here....I'm not a native Irish speaker but I need a few words for a speech on Wed evening...can anybody give me the Gaelige for this:

"Good evening and welcome to [hotel name] where we are gathered to say goodbye to [names of people] and to wish them well for the future".

Many thanks....

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's been too long since my Leaving Cert so I won't try - but you could post your request in this forum too. :)

Not sure how much traffic it gets but you might get lucky.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

To be honest, you're best keeping it simple if you're not a native speaker. A few words in Irish and then seamlessly go into English. Stick to what you know, and if you don't know any keep it very basic.

I'd suggest "Oiche mhaith, agus failte romhat go dti an [name of hotel]. We are gathered here..."

The Irish part is pronounced "Ee-ha wat, ogg-ass foil-ta row-hat go dee on [name of hotel]. We are..."

Advertisement