Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wax

Options
  • 02-09-2007 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

Does anyone have a surefire method of cleaning old wax of a board?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

put board in garden, boil kettle, pour over and scrape the wax off with a squeegie/credit card. Boil kettle and repeat a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

Thanks for that FuzzyLogic. I was missing the boiling water bit and was struggling with a old visa card getting nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

I used to use boiling water but it aparently weakens and possibly damages fibreglass boards (even though i had no problem with it) if you leave it in direct sunlight it shud just wipe of really easy, also a great thing to do but not good for enviroment is to wipe board down with white spirits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

Thanks for the tip neon glow. Its a bic board. I will proceed with caution anyway and see what works best. Thanks again guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 high-pockets

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    put board in garden, boil kettle, pour over and scrape the wax off with a squeegie/credit card. Boil kettle and repeat a few times.

Possibly the worst idea Iv ever heard

Unless its a bic(or other moulded plastic board and even then I still wouldn't recommend it) you'll delam your board.(the glass will come off the foam in a big bubble)

If your really stuck leave it in the sun/hot room for 10 mins or so and buy yourself a wax comb for a euro or two (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sex-Wax-Combs_W0QQitemZ150152530468QQihZ005QQcategoryZ71165QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem)

Also there a thing out there called a pickle thats REALLY helpful.
    It works so well its like voodoo
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Pickle-Surfboard-Wax-Remover-De-Waxer_W0QQitemZ250160886398QQihZ015QQcategoryZ71166QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or sex wax also do a wax remover in a bottle but I cant find any ebay link for that and am too lazy to look any further.

Normally I just use a comb, works fine, the pickle handy for cleaning off all the **** that builds up on the underside though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 high-pockets

Sorry only just saw there that it was a bic.

Still not a good plan but aint going to do as much harm as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I always do this, didn't think it wrecked a plastic or epoxy board at all, bugger. I've not noticed any bubbling, as yet though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭aongo

yeah, boiling water mightn't be the best, especially on an older (fibreglass) board... a quick few passes over the wax with a hair-dryer melts it real quick without heating the board much and it glides off with a comb/plastic card...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

How often do you guys rewax? How often do you strip the wax off?

Just interested. I use a comb and a bottle of beer. (I drink the bottle of beer and strip the boards with the comb) I don't use any heat or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 local surfer

lightening wrote:
    How often do you guys rewax? How often do you strip the wax off?

Just interested. I use a comb and a bottle of beer. (I drink the bottle of beer and strip the boards with the comb) I don't use any heat or anything.

It depends on how frequently you surf, as it is all down to how long the wax lasts. Reallly when it starts to turn black (normally the part where you lay) the wax then melts far quicker in the sun which detoriates the wax, which results in chunks falling off. Generally I rewx 1 to 2 times a year depending on how much I use the board in question.

I use the same method as Aongo.

Its well worth finding out the correct technique for waxing a board as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Its well worth finding out the correct technique for waxing a board as well.

Right... thanks. I tend to use swirling motions with the flat of my hand leaving nice humps.

Sex wax produced a video on the optimum way to wax your board, basically it involves going across the board on one pass of the wax and then down the board on the next. Builds up an even grid of bumps.

its on the main site:

http://www.sexwax.com/

It does make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

If you are selling the board there is no harm in using some white spirits after your credit card job, to make it nice and shiny.

Oh, and never use an actual credit card, an old student card or blood doner card works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Hair dryer on the board to melt the wax :eek::eek::eek:

No heat required at all, not that hard to scrape it off.

Advertisement