Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors Surgery

Options
  • 02-09-2007 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Just a query but can anyone open a doctors surgery or whats the requirements. In theory For example can I open a doctors surgery and employ say Polish doctors etc... in it to carry out the work without having any medical qualifications myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Just a query but can anyone open a doctors surgery or whats the requirements. In theory For example can I open a doctors surgery and employ say Polish doctors etc... in it to carry out the work without having any medical qualifications myself.

Need to check to see if they are allowed work here first:, my other concern would be professional indemnity and where the liability would lie if something goes wrong: they could always leg it, leaving u holding the wrongly amputated leg or what ever

I had a peep on www.imo.ie but it seems to be a trade union site with long lists of guidelines on how not to co-operate with Mary Harney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

i know with Pharmacists unless you trained in the republic of Ireland you are not allowed be the registered owner of a chemist. if you didn't train in ireland as a pharmacist you can only work for an irish pharmacist, you can still dispense drugs / advice to the general public... the pharmacists like a closed shop, not sure how they get away with it these days with the EU etc....

also over the counter drugs (eg antihistamine for hay fever) which are available in Tescos in the UK or the North, are not allowed to be sold in Tescos here. In ireland you have to goto the pharmacist and buy them over the counter and pay about 4 times the price :(

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

ircoha wrote:
    Need to check to see if they are allowed work here first:, my other concern would be professional indemnity and where the liability would lie if something goes wrong: they could always leg it, leaving u holding the wrongly amputated leg or what ever

This is where the problem is they cant work here unless they are registered by the medical council. So they will have to show education in an approved school, experience and perhaps even do an exam.

Another issue will be the GMS, as half the population and 80% of GP visits are paid for by the GMS. To qualify a doctor must have gone through an approved postgraduate GP training scheme (2 years) and then put their name on a waithing list and wait for a list of client to be made available.

Advertisement