Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me choose a new phone

• 02-09-2007 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Im on the search for a new phone, ive been using a nokia 6101 for the last year and a half but its finally broken. I think id like to stick with nokia as they seem most reliable, in that it can be bashed about and usually last a long time without breaking. I had 2 sony ericsons before that and they were utter crap and both suffered "water damage" within 3-4 months. I swore id never buy another one.

Anyway the phone has to be resonably priced (up to 200euro max!), be able to take a bit of a bashing every now and again, be able to be used in Australia (so Quad band i think? maybe tri band?), be as small as possible and would be great if the camera had a flash and expanable memory. Thats all i ask! Im on meteor but could buy a phone elsewhere and have it unlocked if needs be.

I was considering the Nokia N70 on Vodaphone and then having it unlocked to use on meteor, are there any better options? Nothing on the meteor website really inspired me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

http://europe.nokia.com/A4160003
    same OS et al as N70 but far more.. erm resilient which it needs to be evidently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

The N70 is probably the best phone for the price on the market at the moment, just mght have problems unlocking it. Plus i text quite a lot and theres keyboard issues. Plus the smaller the better.

But its a serious gadget phone, whci i really like!

Another option would be the motola razr which is really slim which is cool, but there abit out of date now or something! But its cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Gary, I just picked up the Nokia 6120 on 3 today.
    Smashing phone, expandable memory, 2mega pix camera and HSDPA to boot.
    Switch to 3 and you can use 3 Like Home in Aussie (people will think I work for them now - I don't - I have just not signed up to their USB LOL) calls charged as if your in Ireland.:D :D:D

Walkman wrote:
    Switch to 3 and you can use 3 Like Home in Aussie (people will think I work for them now - I don't - I have just not signed up to their USB LOL) calls charged as if your in Ireland.:D :D:D

Wow thats rather impressive.
    Although im on meteor due to their free texts, althugh im sure i could load AFT onto it if i went to 3?

Is it on pre pay though, id only want pay as you go

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is it on pre pay though, id only want pay as you go

Edit: I misread your post.

Yes three at home applies to 3pay.

Ya its pre pay + €100 free credit:D
    3 have windows live messenger instead of free texts on their phones (not available on 6120 yet - was told by customer care WLM is still in testing for 6120):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

just mght have problems unlocking it.
    nope, a company called gsm solutions just off o connell street can unlock them and you even get a discount for being a boards member. I got mine done for 25.
    althugh im sure i could load AFT onto it if i went to 3?
    nope. Aft uses your free webtexts and 3 don't do webtexts. I think you can use it with smsdiscount though. I never looked into that

another vote for the n70 here. I love mine and i'm posting this using it. For 149 or 139 on the site its great value

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

GSM Solutions? They just opened up in Waterford (at least, with that name!).

Didnt know they did boards discounts. Got my phone unlocked for €15 tho!

Had a look at the N70 today in the vodaphone shop, im just thinking it may be that little bit to big for my liking. I also pretended to write texts and the keyboard was annoyingly small. Im not totally sure.

Everyone I know that has a motorola Razr style phone loves it and its really small and slim which is handy. I could also get one on meteor and get 80euro credit, if I get the N70 i'll pay 140 for the phone but wont get any credit cos i'll be unlocking it to meteor.

Although if i was to change from meteor to vodafone, use all the vodafone credit over the next 9months and load AFT, i'd hardly miss Meteors free texts.

• Advertisement

Ok so heres the options, guidance would be appreciated. i need it to be able to be used in Australia, so Tri band, must have a decent cmaera, be as small as possible, be as durable as possible and have lots of gadgetry.

Nokia N70 - 150euro.
    Pros: its Nokia, has every bit of gadgetry needed, really good phone, theres soemthing about it that makes me want it.
    Cons: Its a bit big, the keyboard is crappy for texting, its on vodafone which means if i want to stay with meteor i wont get the free 80quid credit, its supposedly a bit slow and can freeze a bit.

Sagem My411x
    Pros: Cheap, always had a thing for sagems, straight forward, on meteor.
    Cons: Probably a bit basic and boring as such, not as easy to use as Nokia.

Samsung E390

Motorola V3i
    Pros: On meteor, really slim so can go into pocket nice and easy, ment to be a decent phone to use, really quick camera and menus.
    Cons: Flip phone, not much gadgetry going on.

Decsion has to be made this week so please help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

Walkman wrote:

How much did you pay for this I dont see it on there web site?

€199 on 3 Pay (+ €100 credit), was told it's exclusive to carphone warehouse.

Walkman wrote:
    €199 on 3 Pay (+ €100 credit), was told it's exclusive to carphone warehouse.

For some reason that phone just doesn't appeal to me!

Was looking at some second hand 6680's on ebay for a decnet price too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Motorola K1?
    Nokia 6233?
    Nokia 6300?

Consider any of these? From your list I'd say V3i on Meteor or switch to Vodafone for the N70 - use the webtexts.

I think i might go wit the n70 and get it unlocked to meteor. The only thing is its a bit big and is apprently really slow which may piss me off quite a bit after a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

It's a bargain. Let us know how you get on.

It's slow to startup but should be fine after that.

From a 6101 to an N70. You're going up in the world....

2 Megapixel, Bluetooth, Memory Card, 3G (Not on Meteor!!), Data Cable etc etc etc etc etc

buddy wrote:
    It's a bargain. Let us know how you get on.

It's slow to startup but should be fine after that.

From a 6101 to an N70. You're going up in the world....

2 Megapixel, Bluetooth, Memory Card, 3G (Not on Meteor!!), Data Cable etc etc etc etc etc

ye i am, i tend to get a phone and then just keep it until it stops working, i actually got the 6101 in thailand for 30euro a year and a half ago!
    looking forward to getting my N70, still not totally sure if thats what i want though, may still go for the V3i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

try sony k610i on "3" have mine a while now its gr8 and cheap calls and same rates in oz and free msn for life also 2mp camera 3g stereo bluetooth memory card and lightest 3g phone available, usb cable and bluetoth internet. just a nice phone for €99 plus up to €100 free credit!

• Advertisement
Advertisement