Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera phones replacing digital cameras?

• 02-09-2007 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Is a good camera phone a decent replacement for a digital camera?

Are the newer 2megapixel + phones with flash a decent alternative for the traditional camera?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Are the newer 2megapixel + phones with flash a decent alternative for the traditional camera?

no, and no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ive got a SE k800i with the 3.2mp camera. I dont see the need to buy a digital camera. The quality of the pictures from the phone is enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

It might be a 3.2mp camera on the phone but I'd bet good money that if you put it side by side with a proper 3.2mp camera there'd be a huge difference in quality. Add to that the fact the most phone cameras are very slow to respond means that as yet they are nowhere near being a replacement for a proper camera.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The quality suits me for the amount of pictures i take. Any pictures from the phone i have printed off have been perfect.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Im not a huge photo taker-er but I haven't used a digital camera since I got my k750i, and definitely not since I got my n95.

I would say however that you can get a 5 mp camera which is half the size of the n95, with a longer battery life and faster response, for a reasonable price, and camera of higher quality, so if your serious about your shots, na-ah.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some day I'd say they will but not yet. Saying that I still don't have a digital camera, I just use my k800i. I might get one though when the price of digital SLR come down. What were the first digital cameras like? Would they be comparable to camera phones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The problem with camera phones is the tiny sensor, adding more megapixels into it won't negate the fact the sensor is so small, and a small sensor equals more noise and less quality.

The first digital cameras, though low in quality, would have had less noise than a mobile phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I have the Nokia N95 with a 5 million megapixel camera and it is a perfect replacement for a standalone digital camera. I need to take lots of high resolution photos for my work. Also, the N95 has built in Wi Fi. Show me a standalone camera that you can email your photos from after you take them. It is fast when set up properly and the pictures have to be seen to be believed. Battery life is the only issue but these are getting better every year and for now its easy to carry a spare.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fajitas! wrote:
    The first digital cameras, though low in quality, would have had less noise than a mobile phone.

Dang. You seem to know your shít about this type of thing so in your opinion would camera phones ever get as good as a digital slr camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Fajitas! wrote:
    The problem with camera phones is the tiny sensor, adding more megapixels into it won't negate the fact the sensor is so small, and a small sensor equals more noise and less quality.

The problem with a lot of full size cameras (never mind phones) is the sensor is too small for the amount of pixels they are cramming into them. Silly when you consider that most people will never take advantage of the extra pixels. My first digital camera's (a real budget job) were much worse than the camera on my mobile. Though no doubt if you had a decent early digital camera it was probably much better than any camera phone. The big problem with camera phones IMO is that most of them don't focus. If you have one with auto focus and a decent lense on a bright day you'll be able to take a decent snapshot photo, that will print ok at 6x4 and maybe bigger.

http://mobilementalism.com/2006/11/12/whose-camera-phone-takes-the-best-pictures-part-1-nokia/
    http://www.gsmarena.com/3mp_test_nokia_n80_se_k800-review-79.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭ratminer

The key phrase in the foregoing was "good enough for me". Like many such comparative discussions it essentially comes down to what you are looking for. Like the discussion on MP3 players, I suspect that for a huge amount of people a €40 MP3 player and 128k rips are more than adequate because they are listening on $10 headphones to music they don't care much about, and to be honest thats fine. So for a few quick snaps, good camera phones are ideal (especially the top end like the N95), and there is no dismissive sub-text in this comment. They genuinely do the business. They will never replace a good SLR camera without any doubt, because they are constrained by the design context (size in particular).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Im thinking of getting the nokia n70, I would only ever use the phone on a night out to take a load of photos then lash them onot bebo, im no professional or anything! Would the n70 take decnet pictures in anight club though? That is the question.

Plus i'll always have the phone on me so will be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

No even the best camera phones wont take decent pictures at night time. I have an N95 it takes excellent pics in daylight and only so so night time pictures.

I have an N95 too and I'd only ever consider using it as a camera as a last resort as its just way too slow. Its grand if its a scenic shot but if your taking a picture of people then by the time its actually taken the picture everyone will have moved so you dont get what you saw in the viewfinder. That doesnt even take into account the ridiculously long startup time for the camera so spontaneous shots are out of the question. Fyi, my real camera isn’t a fancy SLR its just a point-and-click Canon Ixus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JohnK wrote:
    It might be a 3.2mp camera on the phone but I'd bet good money that if you put it side by side with a proper 3.2mp camera there'd be a huge difference in quality. Add to that the fact the most phone cameras are very slow to respond means that as yet they are nowhere near being a replacement for a proper camera.

The camera on the K800 is actually a sony Cybershot branded camera. The pics it produces are really very good. Its only a couple of years ago 3.2 mp was very good for a digital camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

i have a digital camera, 4mp , got a n93 with 3.2 mp and flash, and now my camera hasnt even had batteries in it for weeks! im not a big photographer, but you knoe, the odd photo here and there and a few on nights out.

Arathorn wrote:
    No even the best camera phones wont take decent pictures at night time. I have an N95 it takes excellent pics in daylight and only so so night time pictures.

Yeah poor at night. I'd qualify that, its excellent for what it is. For the price of a N95 you'd buy a serious camera though. I have a good camera for when I need it. My phone camera is handy for lots of things though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Only for the most basic photography, i have yet to see a camera photo with a flash, or a proper optical zoom, so they good for close-up pictures during the day and that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i have yet to see a camera photo with a flash,.

Plenty of them do. The K800 certainly does anyway.

or a proper optical zoom
    There are a few out there but I've never actually seen one so cant comment on the quality of them. One example is the Samsung SCH-B500 (http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2006/01/samsung_schb500_to_be_released_in_korea_soon.html) which has 3x optical zoom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

JohnK wrote:
    There are a few out there but I've never actually seen one so cant comment on the quality of them. One example is the Samsung SCH-B500 (http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2006/01/samsung_schb500_to_be_released_in_korea_soon.html) which has 3x optical zoom.

3x is the bare minimun with digital cameras with optical zoom, hardly worth mentioning, proper optical zoom is at least 8x (imho), but i supose in time we might se this with the camera phones in time.

i have yet to see a camera photo with a flash
    The k750 had a decent flash. If used properly it took some decent night time shots.

Stekelly wrote:
    Plenty of them do. The K800 certainly does anyway.

Can you name 5 cameras available from the Irish Providers that have a Flash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Had a k750i with a 2mp camera + light/flash thing, now have a samsung u-600 with a 3.2mp camera + light/flash thing.

Using natural light the photos come out really well. At night the quality can be very dodge, especially on the k750i. The flash thing is rubbish on both phones. Having said that I'm not big into cameras and the camera on my u-600 will certainly do for me.

BostonB wrote:
    Can you name 5 cameras available from the Irish Providers that have a Flash?
    LG Prada KE850
    Sony Ericsson K750i
    Sony Ericsson K800i
    Nokia N95
    Samsung E900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

the best camera is the one you have on you. I'm waiting on the k850i to come out - this won't replace my digicam and I don't expect it to be near as good in terms of quality, but I'll always have it, unlike my current camera (panasonic dmc-fz5) which is too big to carry around all the time. I did consider buying a cheap phone and a slim-line camera, but I don't want to have to carry multiple gadgets all the time. I'm hoping the k850i will be a good all-rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

JohnK wrote:
    LG Prada KE850
    Sony Ericsson K750i
    Sony Ericsson K800i
    Nokia N95
    Samsung E900

Most of these phones you just mentioned do not have a "flash" in the traditional sense of the photography - they use led lights to illuminate the subject. (The k800i has a xenon flash though). The term normally used is camera lights as far as I remember.

dSLRs are constantly improving as camera phones improve too - so no I don't think it will ever overtake dedicated cameras but it may be enough for you (most people do not print out to A1 size photos).

I like using a dSLR for its responsiveness and wide variety of lens available, low light capabilities are much better than camera phones (large sensor).

Here's two photos from my collection (which I believe would not be possible if I were using a camera phone - at the present time...in the future hopefully they'll be able to handle these too!)

908745977_3a5fec05b8.jpg

909537712_dba4ea71ea.jpg

These are just small thumbnails, but you would be able to print to A4 without any problems and A1 for viewing at a distance. (Photoshop helps too...) This camera costs circa. E420 nowadays...much cheaper than a N95 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Those photos Thirdfox are very nice!! Have seen some very nice N95 shots of flickr which may not rival the quality of your photos (espec on a larger scale) but come fairly close in beauty. Theres one particular one of an underground station that I like (can't remember link now) .

Edit: this was it
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lutonian/1234720701/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

JohnK wrote:
    LG Prada KE850
    Sony Ericsson K750i
    Sony Ericsson K800i
    Nokia N95
    Samsung E900

as said, none of these are actual flash.

the sensors as fajita says are too small to be able to handle hight mp, noise is a serious issue, they have all very high apetures so its hard to get steady shots. now i have a w800 and have gotten some decent shots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/melekalikimaka/226561245/
    226561245_f06d832aa3.jpg

the noise (kinda grainy effect on first one) has been cleaned up alot in photoshop after i took it, but it effects the image alot and also the apeture(amount of light let in effects the image greatly. the lack of manual mode also limits your creativity.
    BUT if your just usin it for pics of you mates yadda yadda, mobile phones do the job...as long as theres enough light...nitght clubs/pubs, your pretty screwed :p

but compare to this

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=270719115&size=o&context=photostream
    270719115_fab8625f69.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,008 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

bandit197 wrote:
    I have the Nokia N95 with a 5 million megapixel camera and it is a perfect replacement for a standalone digital camera. I need to take lots of high resolution photos for my work. Also, the N95 has built in Wi Fi. Show me a standalone camera that you can email your photos from after you take them. It is fast when set up properly and the pictures have to be seen to be believed. Battery life is the only issue but these are getting better every year and for now its easy to carry a spare.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0703/07030809sonyg1.asp - It's close and I'be no doubt in another few months there'll be a camera you can email from directly.

Advertisement