Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nasty shock from utv

Options
  • 02-09-2007 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi UTV
    I am a subsriber to utv internet continuously since 2001 and have never had cause to complain before but today I discovered I am being penalised several hundred per cent of my normal bill.
    This is because I entered one digit wrongly when you changed my dial-up number for utvXL in July.

Because of your delayed billing policy I had no oppurtunity of realising my mistake until five weeks after making it. I feel I should not be penalised for your user unfriendly billing policy.

I have previously mistakenly used an ordinary dial-up number when on a flat rate package.Each time this happened utv sent an email warning me this was not a reduced rate number.
    Where was the warning this time?

I am extremely annoyed at your derisory offer of three months free internet usage when you have obviously neglected to inform me of any totally unusual changes in my internet charges.Indeed if I had neglected to view my bill online the charges would still be accruing.

emmemm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Aye a warning would have been good but to be fair you made the initial mistake , and one you have admitted to making before....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

I used to be on a 30 hr per month package and to save costs I would dial another number at off peak times to save the flat rate time for peak time usage.Whenever I did this I recieved the warning.

Sure I made the initial mistake...I dialled 1890927550 when I should have dialled 1890927750...so I get penalised for that month.That is bad enough but to be penalised again for the next month seems grossly unfair.

Seems obvious to me that they are monitoring usage and know when a customer isn't using their flat rate time.Laughing quietly to themselves at the customer's expense.

Add this company to a certain airline for underhand practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Why they chose two such similar and easy to confuse numbers must be open to speculation.

If they truly had the customers' interest at heart the numbers would be totally different to avoid possible confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If they profit from users using the wrong number then I would be suspicious. If they don't profit then their monitoring and procedures are at best flawed. Ultimately they'll just end up losing customers and its not in their interest to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have left them due to their poor billing processes and fault repair procedures. It seems that they do not care about losing customers, well that was the impression that their call centre people give.
    Also as they are located outside the jurisdiction of the courts of this country they can do what they wish. Whenever you mention small claims courts etc they just laugh at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

From the UTV website ... http://u.tv/utvclicksilver_business/code.asp

"In presenting tariff information UTV Internet Ltd is required to adhere to the principles set out in the ComReg Code for Tariff Presentation. This Code requires the presentation of accurate and comprehensive tariff information that is accessible to the consumer. UTV Internet Ltd complies with the Code, a full copy of which can be accessed on the ComReg website at www.comreg.ie. "

Perhaps a quick call to comreg might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

emmemm wrote:
    Hi UTV
    I am a subsriber to utv internet continuously since 2001 and have never had cause to complain before but today I discovered I am being penalised several hundred per cent of my normal bill.
    This is because I entered one digit wrongly when you changed my dial-up number for utvXL in July.

Because of your delayed billing policy I had no oppurtunity of realising my mistake until five weeks after making it. I feel I should not be penalised for your user unfriendly billing policy.

I have previously mistakenly used an ordinary dial-up number when on a flat rate package.Each time this happened utv sent an email warning me this was not a reduced rate number.
    Where was the warning this time?

I am extremely annoyed at your derisory offer of three months free internet usage when you have obviously neglected to inform me of any totally unusual changes in my internet charges.Indeed if I had neglected to view my bill online the charges would still be accruing.

emmemm
    WTF - You fooked up! What do you want UTV to do about it. Do you want them to question everything you purchase from them to make sure you really really really want it?! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

nice to get so many supportive posts,thank you.

gonna try the comreg site and will post their comments.:)

Advertisement