Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Central Locking buggered?

Options
  • 02-09-2007 9:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Driving a VW Golf, went to lock the doors today. They locked fine but then the back door on the passenger side opened again. Its happened 2 or 3 times since. Anyone any ideas on the problem or how to go about fixing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Melion wrote:
    Driving a VW Golf, went to lock the doors today. They locked fine but then the back door on the passenger side opened again. Its happened 2 or 3 times since. Anyone any ideas on the problem or how to go about fixing it?
    My Passat is doing something similar.. engage the central locking and the front left door pops up again. It's intermittent though, and always locks fine with the button on the key (thankfully).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Those door locks in the MkIV Golfs are well known for giving trouble. It'll most likely need a new lock. Same goes for MkIV Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

The drivers side lock had to be replaced in my old 2000 Golf when it was only 2 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭milmo

I've just started having a similar problem with my 98 passat. When I lock the doors all locks engage but then my driver door look opens again.

When I go to open the doors all the locks open but the drivers door only pops up half way and then won't open when I pull the door handle.

This is a major pain in the ass!

Any ideas on the exact cause of the problem and can I fix it myself? Relatively competent with a Haynes Manual close by1

Thanks

Milmo

If this is a common problem, i don't suppose you could claim it as a "known issue" and insist a dealership fix it for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭milmo

Thanks Kaiser,

But could you briefly explain the "known issue" thing please. Whatever about the OP, I imagine my car would be too long in the tooth to go back to the dealership.

I would prefer too be able to do it myself as I don't have to waste time leaving it in to a garage

Milmo

Well admittedly I'm reaching, but to my mind (IT background you see) if it's a common problem with these locks, and there's evidence to show this (which even this thread which is less than 24 hours old would suggest) then would there be a case for claiming the locks are substandard and unfit for the purpose, and therefore should be replaced at the dealer's/VW's expense.

I'm sure one of the other posters here will be along to shoot holes in my theory though :)

OP - What year is the Golf............?

As regards getting any warranty on a 1998 Passat or even the 2000 Golf mentioned above - you can forget about it - the cars are just to old for VW to even remotely consider giving a goodwill contribution. Try by all means, but from my experience with VW you'll be p1ssing into the wind.

Well mine's a 02 - any chance of being more successful?

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Well mine's a 02 - any chance of being more successful?

I sincerely doubt it.

• Advertisement

Well in that case, any ideas how much would I/we be looking at for a new lock, and how long it usually takes to fit (seeing as labour is always the killer).

Ta! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah sounds like it needs a new lock. Had a similar problem on my 206. I'd lock the car and then all locks would release again (the central locking reopens all doors if one isn't closed properly). I'd found a way I could "force" the locks to stay down, but it was never guaranteed.

Pain in the ass, and around €200 to get fixed :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Its a 99 Golf, problem fixed itself today. Didnt happen this morning when i locked them going into work. Or just now when i locked them again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Actuator

Actuator

Exactly - except it's contained in the door lock....................

I'd say the price that Seamus was charged (€200) would be around right for a decent independent.

Advertisement