Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun First Year Electives

Options
  • 02-09-2007 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey, Im a 1st year about to study Law and I was just wondering if any of you experienced Boardies could tell me about the electives. I didn't actually know about this whole Horizons thing until I was registering.

My schedule isnt overcrowded and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what electives might be fun and wont weigh me down in my 1st year. I guess it would be nice to do something fun and interesting outside of Law.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Children's Literature is pretty cool and easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Unless they've shifted things around a bit from last year, you will be strongly advised by the law school to take Legal Systems & Methods. They will say it's absolutely necessary to take it unless you want to be behind your classmates or something to that effect.

While this is not true, you could do many a worse module. You'll most likely have a great lecturer (who you'll meet soon enough!) and the subject matter isn't too challenging. Basically it's never really a chore to go to one of the lectures, and while not as fundamental as the law school will tell you, it's still good for a law student to have such knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

the best module iv done in uni was geography of the city. the lectureer is great joe brady. its really good plus the exam at the end is a very easy mcq no neg marking, even the essay is interesting to do. elective places are open too. i got a a minus in this very easy and very intersting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Funky wrote:
    Children's Literature is pretty cool and easy

No exams either. Its a handy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

If you were in any way good at maths, try Introduction to Differential Calculus. Honest to God, it's the biggest joke I've ever seen. Half of it was junior cert maths, and if you could cope with differentiation that's the more advanced stuff covered. 10% continuous assessment, which takes the form of 'tests', during which you are allowed use your notes, consult with each other and ask for help off the tutors. I did it in the second semester last year: didn't attend a single lecture between February and May and got an A+. My friend accidentally left out a quarter of the summer exam and got an A-. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Breezer wrote:
    If you were in any way good at maths, try Introduction to Differential Calculus. Honest to God, it's the biggest joke I've ever seen. Half of it was junior cert maths, and if you could cope with differentiation that's the more advanced stuff covered. 10% continuous assessment, which takes the form of 'tests', during which you are allowed use your notes, consult with each other and ask for help off the tutors. I did it in the second semester last year: didn't attend a single lecture between February and May and got an A+. My friend accidentally left out a quarter of the summer exam and got an A-. ;)

I second that.There were a few DUMBASSES that managed to fail it though.How?Unless they went out of their way to fail it,I dunno!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Breezer wrote:

I can't believe you got 5 credits for that. Differentiation is by a country mile the easiest part of, well, ****ing anything! What school is it in? Not that I'm going to do it, I think Applied Econometrics I and II will have enough differentiation for me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Breezer wrote:
    I already picked that one, nice to know I've made the right choice! :)

Actually, mine was just called Introduction to Calculus, but I assume it's the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

yevveh wrote:
    I can't believe you got 5 credits for that.
    Neither can I quite frankly :eek: My excuse for doing it is that 'calculus is an important tool in the field of epidemiology.' :p I'm pretty sure it's in the school of maths, can't remember for sure though.

SumGuy wrote:
    Actually, mine was just called Introduction to Calculus, but I assume it's the same one.
    Yeah I think they interchanged the names a bit. If it goes on about a 'preview of integration' in the course description it's the same.

Quote from this wonderfully challenging module: "The slope is the steepness of the line." As far as I remember that was the last thing I heard in a lecture from that module. It came right after ten minutes of discussing slopes and right before me leaving. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Breezer wrote:
    Quote from this wonderfully challenging module: "The slope is the steepness of the line."
    You know that noise that you make with your nose and throat when you're scoffing/laughing at something with your mouth closed?

*That noise*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

abelard wrote:
    Unless they've shifted things around a bit from last year, you will be strongly advised by the law school to take Legal Systems & Methods. They will say it's absolutely necessary to take it unless you want to be behind your classmates or something to that effect.

While this is not true, you could do many a worse module. You'll most likely have a great lecturer (who you'll meet soon enough!) and the subject matter isn't too challenging. Basically it's never really a chore to go to one of the lectures, and while not as fundamental as the law school will tell you, it's still good for a law student to have such knowledge.
    is that not mandatory anymore? god, that was a 'fun' class. For some reason I was there every thurs at 9am, despite still being most definitely drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Introdution to massage. Learning basic massage techniques, has a really easy end exam + you have a pretty simple 800 essay + that's it, + it's sooooo much fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

SumGuy wrote:
    You know that noise that you make with your nose and throat when you're scoffing/laughing at something with your mouth closed?

*That noise*

Indeed, there really ought to be something to textually represent that noise. The amount of times i go to try and get that idea across and fail is annoying. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭mickydi

Am in first year Arts .... doing Irish and History & hope to keep them both on if I'm up to it. thinking about Archaeology or History as third subject/elective .... don't want anything with intense work load or heavy exams so I can focus on others.... Also considered doing 10 credits in both or a 15/5 split. Anyone any knowledge about these subject in 1st year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭mickydi

Hey just read that back .... I mean Art History or Archaeology!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

I'm pretty sure that Archaeology exams are simple enough, only 1 hour affairs as opposed to the pretty much standard 2 hours for other exams. That's all I know, but you better ask an Arc student for confirmation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I did an elective in History of Modern Art or something like that and it was pretty rough, wouldn't recommend it unless you plan on going to lectures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Rafadagaffer

Ive picked the brain and behaviour, which is looking seriously over booked by now and programming and data stuctures.

Anyone here do them or know what they are like?

Slighty off topic but are the core modules for English and History for semester two for first years up on sis. I cant see mine:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Ive picked the brain and behaviour, which is looking seriously over booked by now and programming and data stuctures.

Anyone here do them or know what they are like?

Slighty off topic but are the core modules for English and History for semester two for first years up on sis. I cant see mine:confused:

alert! alert!

Emailed the lecturer Fintan Costello RE: the programming and data structures elective! Turns out its a total accident that it's being offered, it's actually a module that's part of a H-Dip course. So basically its a mistake- apparently it covers the material in "Introduction To Programming" but in less detail. (Fintan teaches both). I had it picked aswell

Advertisement