Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine triping ecb.

Options
  • 02-09-2007 9:56pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hi,

is there any reason why a 5 year old washing machine would be tripping out the main ecb on the fuse board and the one for the utility room

it trips it out during the spin cycle only.

and thete won't be any other heavy load on at the time.

anything to check ? what could be causing this.

thx

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

its a live to earth problem -unfortunately it can be caused by a number of things from the motor to the element to the pcb board -could be simply a loose wire but unless you can test each component yourself ,you are wasting your time calling an engineer cause he aint gauranteed to find the problem -could work out cheaper to replace the appliance as you will find most have a shelf life of 5 years (3 if its a hotpoint)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

knighted wrote:
    you will find most have a shelf life of 5 years (3 if its a hotpoint)
    That's why they come with 8 year parts guarantee then?

OP, a service man could well sort the problem out. Could well be a loose/bad connection that gets shook around when the spin starts rocking the machine about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

cast_iron wrote:
    That's why they come with 8 year parts guarantee then?

actually its 5 years parts gaurentee and the last 4 years of the gaurentee are conditional on you paying the €99 engineer call out charge otherwise the gaurentee isn't honoured ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

miju wrote:
    actually its 5 years parts gaurentee and the last 4 years of the gaurentee are conditional on you paying the €99 engineer call out charge otherwise the gaurentee isn't honoured ;)
    Well, you should have bought a Whirlpool then;). 8 year parts (down from 10 due to the EU), you pay the call out fee only after the 1st year (same as them all).

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

cast_iron wrote:
    Well, you should have bought a Whirlpool then;). 8 year parts (down from 10 due to the EU), you pay the call out fee only after the 1st year (same as them all).

theres allways one lol-

all free parts gaurantees are a sham -its an inflated labour charge plus per hour charge thats covering the cost of the part -

i could sort that problem out ,my point being most service engineers will not want the hassle of tracing back the fault ,they will just write the machine off and charge there usual call out charge ,especially on a five year old machine -it would work out better in the long run to purchase a new one -

by the way bosch offer a two year labour warrenty (not same as them all)
    plus for an extra 40 euros you can extend the warrenty for another two years ,provided the machine is under 400 euros over that and uts 80 euros

for example - in did electrical a bosch wae 24162 1200 spin washer is E399.95 add on E40 extended warrenty thats E440 for 4 years with no repair fees

this works out at E110 per year or roughly E2 per week -tell me that doesnt make sense ?
    if a family use the machine 5 days a week it costs you 40 cent a wash -

so why would you give a service engineer E100 to call out and then might not even fix the machine -

i hope this clarifies my comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

knighted wrote:
    theres allways one lol-

for example - in did electrical a bosch wae 24162 1200 spin washer is E399.95 add on E40 extended warrenty thats E440 for 4 years with no repair fees

this works out at E110 per year or roughly E2 per week -tell me that doesnt make sense ?

I wont, because it does, don't forget to mention the half day most of us have to take off to wait for same engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Buy a Siemens. Problem solved.

5 years parts, labour, and call out gaurentee

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Buy a Siemens. Problem solved.

5 years parts, labour, and call out gaurentee
    And for a limited time, certain Electrolux Insight machines also have a 5 year parts and labour warranty. I think prices are around €590 though.

Pretty sure Miele offer long full warranty also, but they're more expensive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

apologies for starting a "which washing machine" debate.

I will open her up tomorrow and see if there is any loose connection

powered off of course :D

will update

K

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

byte wrote:
    And for a limited time, certain Electrolux Insight machines also have a 5 year parts and labour warranty. I think prices are around €590 though.

Yeah, noticed that yesterday. The new Inspire range is trying to rival the likes of bosch, siemens and miele but I cant see the quality being up there tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Check for a loose earth strap comming loose, also check the motor for a burning smell, one set of the motor windings could be burnt out and shorting to earth through the casing when it starts to spin.

Also could be related to the water pump, could be a loose cable on it.

Is the machine full of water when it trips, water pump, or empty, spin motor.

Advertisement