Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Upgrade??

• 02-09-2007 10:11pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you use a Vista Upgrade from XP Home can you still use your XP Home on another PC??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

no, well yes but your not supposed to. Activation might lead to questions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well following on from a previous thread here, I have Win XP Pro but lost the sticker from it, I can install it on a system but not activate it cos I have no CD-Key, could I upgrade it from that version to Vista without a problem??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

yes, the upgrade will not ask for the previous copy and i do not think it has to be activated. However i could be wrong.
    Google installing the vista upgrade without installing xp first. There is a way to do it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Brill, thanks Saruman!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jonny24ie wrote:
    If you use a Vista Upgrade from XP Home can you still use your XP Home on another PC??
    NO - When you upgrade windows, the copy you upgraded from DIES.

If the old copy of windows was OEM then the new copy can ONLY be used on the same motherboard as the original one was.

This is why OEM cost less than upgrade, and upgrade costs less than a full license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

jonny24ie wrote:
    Well following on from a previous thread here, I have Win XP Pro but lost the sticker from it, I can install it on a system but not activate it cos I have no CD-Key, could I upgrade it from that version to Vista without a problem??

if u download a program called lavalys everest ultimate and get a crack, the run it on the machine with xp pro and u will be able to locate the key u used to activate it.

allen175 wrote:
    if u download a program called lavalys everest ultimate and get a crack, the run it on the machine with xp pro and u will be able to locate the key u used to activate it.

The problem is I haven't activated this copy yet as I have lost the sticker before I even used it!! So I ahve the retail disk but not lisence!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

allen175 wrote:
    two week ban - for suggesting a crack

one for suggesting that someone crack a program

the rest because there are legit alternatives like magic jelly bean keyfinder

If you want to use software for free, use free software.

The same upgrade / transfer rules would apply to XP-Pro. But since it's retail you can move it. You can't install on more than ONE computer at at time.

Technically you loose the license if you have lost all the paper work, and I'm not sure how you would convince microsoft to issue a new license even if you have the receipts.

If it wasn't a retail copy you could use a branded XP CD to install on the same brand PC. If the PC you are putting it on is a brand name that makes their own image you could try to borrow a CD of that brand.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Locked_Preinstallation

The same upgrade / transfer rules would apply to XP-Pro. But since it's retail you can move it. You can't install on more than ONE computer at at time.

Technically you loose the license if you have lost all the paper work, and I'm not sure how you would convince microsoft to issue a new license even if you have the receipts.

If it wasn't a retail copy you could use a branded XP CD to install on the same brand PC. If the PC you are putting it on is a brand name that makes their own image you could try to borrow a CD of that brand.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Locked_Preinstallation

Cheers, I will just have to work around it somehow!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement