Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rusted battery connection

Options
  • 02-09-2007 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I need to replace my battery but the car connections are rusted solid to the battery as well as the clamp thing that holds down the battery and there is some white chalky crap around the positive connection, how can i remove the battery without making a mess of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Clear off all the 'chalky' crap. Loosen the bolt and gently tap the connection off with a light hammer.

Once you replace the battery, smear it in Vaseline to prevent future corrosion.

EDIT : BTW, does the 'chalky' crap have a blueish colour? If so it could be copper sulphate which could be indicative of overcharging.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Boiling water will remove the chalky stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 pavilion

The bolts are rusted too, won't budge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

pavilion wrote:
    The bolts are rusted too, won't budge

Spray a generous amount of WD40 and leave it overnight....................

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

WD40/penetrating fluid on the threads. might take a couple of applications, and leave overnight. Tap the nuts sharply, placing a screwdriver on the nut and hitting that with the hammer. This should break the 'seal'.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement