Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Dearest' thread... (post your items here)

• 02-09-2007 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

A mate had lunch at a certain deli / sandwich cafe in Dundrum last week, and decided to eat in.
    Places like this usually add an extra few cents for this privalage, but he was astounted at the cost of one item.
    One bag (not even opened and stacked nicely on his plate) of cheese and onion Hunky Dorys set him back €1.55!! :eek:

Thought this might be an interesting thread for people to post locations charging obscene amounts for normal products, or if people know where the dearest mars bar / bag of crisps etc... in the country is to be found!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I was charged almost €7 for a sandwich in an esso 911 cafe:eek:
    I felt sorry for the person who served me ,I made a scene.:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

im pretty sure o'briens add a minimum of an extra €1 to toast a sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

€5 for a plain hotdog (20c sausage in a 10c bun) in Croke Park today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

€2.20 for a 500ml bottle of water in Cineworld, Parnell St.
    Most shop charge about €1.40.

It's to be expected, most cinemas as a ripoff for stuff like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

faceman wrote:

Isn't that because of some laws/taxes about hot food?
    M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Zagorkagirl

Whiskeyman,

What's the point of starting this thread if you don't tell us the name of the shop/restaurant where this occurred. Surely, the point is to warn the rest of us about these rip off merchants so that we can avoid/boycott them in the future.

Come on...Name and Shame!

Zzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Come on...Name and Shame!
    T'was Brambles in Dundrum.
    Nightwish wrote:
    €5 for a plain hotdog (20c sausage in a 10c bun) in Croke Park today
    I'm pretty sure one of those hotdog vendors before a match in Landsdown Rd last summer was charging 7 Euro!
    micmclo wrote:
    €2.20 for a 500ml bottle of water in Cineworld, Parnell St.
    Jaysus!! :eek:
    And I thought after 'that festival in Kildare' they were creaming in profit for charging 2 Euro a bottle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

€2.80 for a bottle of coke from a vending machine in the cineworld in parnell street, what a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

8 Euro for a toasted cheese and mayo sandwich in Douglas Court Shopping Centre in Douglas, cant remember the name of the place and def wont be going back there.

Those Costa Coffee Places are pretty expensive also. 9.40 for 2 large coffees.No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

mathie wrote:
    Isn't that because of some laws/taxes about hot food?
    M

Indeed, there is a higher rate of VAT on hot food than on cold food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In the interest of evening out the usual "omg, ireland is such a rip of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!eleven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I was charged €3.50 for a bottle of coke (500ml) in the airport in Crete on my way back from the Champion sleague final. It was the shop after you go through security so no other option for drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

dudara wrote:
    Indeed, there is a higher rate of VAT on hot food than on cold food

http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/vat_food_drink.pdf

This is an interesting booklet regarding the VAT situation that confirms this to be the case.

Funnily enough, SuperValue never charge extra for having a sandwich/wrap toasted, nor do Dunnes for the same items or for cooking pizzas. Nor any other deli like 911, centras, spars, etc. O'Briens are the only place where this seems to be applied.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

wyndham wrote:
    http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/vat_food_drink.pdf

This is an interesting booklet regarding the VAT situation that confirms this to be the case.

Funnily enough, SuperValue never charge extra for having a sandwich/wrap toasted, nor do Dunnes for the same items or for cooking pizzas. Nor any other deli like 911, centras, spars, etc. O'Briens are the only place where this seems to be applied.

interesting, i never knew that! i think munchies charge extra too, but im not 100% sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

20 euros for 2 street hotdogs outside Lansdowne road last year. When i questioned it your man told me to get lost. It was disgusting as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

kmick wrote:
    20 euros for 2 street hotdogs outside Lansdowne road last year. When i questioned it your man told me to get lost. It was disgusting as well.

Did you pay it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

I paid €4.80 for a pint of piss smithwickes in Pravda in Dublin. I know its not the worst priced pint in Dublin, but still expensive for an ale by any standards. I can get a savage pint of the same for €3.60 at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

faceman wrote:

The problem with this is it changes from "cold Food" @0% VAT to hot food at 13.5% VAT + a sit in fee of approx. 50c.

Standard bag of tayto crisps

Esso - 48c
    Tesco - 52c
    Mace - 55c
    Spar - 59c
    ALL Centras - 69c

Hunky Dorys

Most shops 59c - 69c
    Centras - 89c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I think we have become a nation of put up with it and shut up. I have paid over the odds for a few things but I am not going to do it anymore. I just hand back the item and tell them why. I am certainly not mean but I think €1.60 for a bottle of Volvic water is a bit much when it is normally €1.19-€1.29 I have come across a good few shops with no prices displayed and they seem to be the most expensive when you go to pay for the item. I know by law the price has to be displayed and the shop can be reported. I have noticed all these Centra and Spar shops seem to be the most expensive.

mcaul wrote:
    The problem with this is it changes from "cold Food" @0% VAT to hot food at 13.5% VAT + a sit in fee of approx. 50c.

Standard bag of tayto crisps

Esso - 48c
    Tesco - 52c
    Mace - 55c
    Spar - 59c
    ALL Centras - 69c

Hunky Dorys

Most shops 59c - 69c
    Centras - 89c

There's a newsagents on Mount st in dublin (across from oil can harry's, not sure of the name) where they charge 90c for a bag of rancheeros. Needless to say I have never gone back since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I saw sausage rolls in a shop in Kilkenny yesterday at €1.45 each. They were the same size as the 30c one you'd get in a petrol station deli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The coffee shop just under the Luas station in Ranelagh charges 2.50 for a single espresso. I was just about to order when I saw the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

The Merrion Hotel bar, €17.80 for 2 black coffees and a plain scone (no jam :) )... I think it was around €5.20 per coffee and €7.40 for the scone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

10.40 for two straight pour guinnesses, in the wrong type of glasses on Eamon Dorans a few months ago. were scummy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

A newsagent in Blanch Shopping Centre, I think it was called 'Bon Espresso' or something, tried to charge me 90c for an Animal bar that said on the wrapper "Still only 20c"...!! Yer one was having none of it, saying that was the price in the till and she could do nothing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

lads!

these are mad prices, do ye actually pay this much, 5e for hot dogs, 7 euro or whatever for scones....
    fcuk that

costa coffee shops are a rip off and should be avoided like the plague, also eddie rockets, o briens and loads more.

Must admit I used to get ripped off and then walk out the door mumbling that its a rip off etc but not any more. I'm fed up with this sorta sh!te. I only buy newspapers in spars etc now as they have the price printed on them and you can't get ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

All newspapers have the price printed on them and I've never seen a shop try to charge over that.

Do you mean magazines Colonel?

thats what I said, you CAN'T get ripped off with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

€4.50 for a portion of garlic bread in Lisa's tratorria ( tiny basic restaurant- nothing fancy) in terenure. We ordered 2 potions and what we got was one of those demi baguettes you buy in tesco. So €9 for a frozen demi baguette. I would have gone mad but I wasn't paying. Oh and it was €18.50 for meatballs and you had to pay extra for the pasta. Am getting angry thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

2euro for a standard bottle of water at the virginia show after paying 10 euro to get in . 1.99 for 6 in lidl .shame on them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement