Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Dearest' thread... (post your items here)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

€2.50 for a 500ml bottle of water in dundrum cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Grawns wrote:
    €4.50 for a portion of garlic bread in Lisa's tratorria ( tiny basic restaurant- nothing fancy) in terenure. We ordered 2 potions and what we got was one of those demi baguettes you buy in tesco. So €9 for a frozen demi baguette. I would have gone mad but I wasn't paying. Oh and it was €18.50 for meatballs and you had to pay extra for the pasta. Am getting angry thinking about it.

Agree, a rip-off second rated joint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

At Bodrum airport in turkey they were charging E12 for a plain hotdog....E5 for a cup of tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My daughter got charged €2.90 for two litres of Dawn Milk in Lawlee's shop in Listowel. I know that it was last Christmas but I'm still suffering Post Traumatic Stress.

Listowel, the place that Tesco has just been refused permission by An Bord Pleanála to build a store. We're just destined to be robbed for eternity!

Laugh or cry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

My brother paid the eqivilent of €9 for a can of coke in Charle De Gaulle Airport, circa 1994. (damn cheese eating surrender monkeys :eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

DONT GET ME STARTED ON CAR WASH PRICES!!! :mad:

fecking €8.50 for a normal car wash in statoil on the old Ashbourne road at the back of the airport... and the place is always full!

I asked him was it nude or topless?... and just walked out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

CDG airport is a rip off, went in to a shop to buy a sandwich over the summer. No prices displayed. Asked how much the sandwich was, told it was E7.10. Walked out without buying said sandwich!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Griffins Londis shops charge 1.45 for a cheap bottle of imported Coke, I wouldn't mind paying this for a normal bottle of Coke but the imported stuff is far cheaper to buy wholesale than the domestic stuff and it tasts terrible

Certain Spar shops around town were also charging full price for 750ml bottles of Pepsi \ CLub Orange when they were 500ml bottles with 50% free and were clearly marked as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My wife and her pal went to the Take That concert last year in the RDS...but before they went in they went for a drink in that pub facing the RDS in Ballsbridge...they were charged €5 for a beer in a plastic cup...so they said sod this...went to the Spar right next door when they finished thier drink...and bought cans of Bud for €1.99 each and just re-filled thier cups and rejoined the crowd who just kept paying the €5 a drink!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The-Rigger wrote:
    Charle De Gaulle Airport,
    That place is shocking, bizarre pricing, dunno how they sell anything- if they put stuff at a reasonable price they would probably make a higher profit since they would sell more.

I passed through on a business trip and refused to buy anything even though it would have been on company expenses.
    Funnily enough, SuperValue never charge extra for having a sandwich/wrap toasted, nor do Dunnes for the same items or for cooking pizzas. Nor any other deli like 911, centras, spars, etc. O'Briens are the only place where this seems to be applied.
    Perhaps all the others are breaking the law, or perhaps they are already charging the extra bit on it cold or hot- so really you could say obriens give you a discount for getting it cold. The law is a bit vague too, just says hot with no temperatures given, e.g. could I order a burger in mcdonalds, come back in 20mins when it is cold and ask for a discount since they dont have to collect VAT on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

jahalpin wrote:
    Griffins Londis shops charge 1.45 for a cheap bottle of imported Coke, I wouldn't mind paying this for a normal bottle of Coke but the imported stuff is far cheaper to buy wholesale than the domestic stuff and it tasts terrible

Certain Spar shops around town were also charging full price for 750ml bottles of Pepsi \ CLub Orange when they were 500ml bottles with 50% free and were clearly marked as such.

Loads of places around town selling that imported (often German) Coke.
    Definitely tastes different, like a cross between Coke and Pepsi.

There's at least two on O'Connell St where I've been caught before, Carroll's and one down near abbey St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Why is there not some form of price regulation in Airports? Whenever I complain to people about prices in Dublin airport thei only reply is usually 'Its an airport, what do you expect?'. Thats not a reason!!! If its a case that people are charged ludicrous amounts by DAA to set up Kiosks then DAA are indirectly ripping off people who pass through.

EDIT: Same applies to concerts, sporting events etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Grawns wrote:
    €4.50 for a portion of garlic bread in Lisa's tratorria ( tiny basic restaurant- nothing fancy) in terenure. We ordered 2 potions and what we got was one of those demi baguettes you buy in tesco. So €9 for a frozen demi baguette. I would have gone mad but I wasn't paying. Oh and it was €18.50 for meatballs and you had to pay extra for the pasta. Am getting angry thinking about it.

That place is a joke. The Terenure Take Away, which is attached to it and works from the side of the same kitchen, is a major rip-off also. A portion of lasagne is around €12. From a chipper!!
    In comparison, a portion of lasagne from Silvios in Templeogue Village is €5.90 and comes with a free garlic bread- Actually like the Garlic bread you described, a demi-baguette cut in half and buttered with garlic butter, given away for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

£9.25 for the cinema in London (€13.65)!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Why is there not some form of price regulation in Airports? Whenever I complain to people about prices in Dublin airport thei only reply is usually 'Its an airport, what do you expect?'. Thats not a reason!!! If its a case that people are charged ludicrous amounts by DAA to set up Kiosks then DAA are indirectly ripping off people who pass through.

EDIT: Same applies to concerts, sporting events etc.

It also seems that the prices after you've checked in to the departure lounge are more than they were in the main entrance. A captive customer being taken advantage of.

It's the same as the mobile phone companies. They've been ripping people off for so long, we're all supposed to think that they must have a good reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

faceman wrote:
    im pretty sure o'briens add a minimum of an extra €1 to toast a sandwich.

Don't get me started with O'Brien's!! One of the most over-priced place for the crappiest sambo ever...needless to say I do not go there any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

blah wrote:
    £9.25 for the cinema in London (€13.65)!!!:mad:

And this is what I got charged for The Simpsons Movie. Worst Episode ever! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Im not sure if its everywhere but magazines seem to be a stinger for prices at times.

Tutills in clondalkin would have a car magazine for sale with a dearer price on it even though the euro price (€5) is printed onto the mag.I've had it out with the manager before who insists that there price is correct even though its 2.50 extra.

Another big stinger is the food in mondello park.A breakfast roll and 250mil bottle of 7up will set you back €11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

eireal wrote:
    Im not sure if its everywhere but magazines seem to be a stinger for prices at times.

Tutills in clondalkin would have a car magazine for sale with a dearer price on it even though the euro price (€5) is printed onto the mag.I've had it out with the manager before who insists that there price is correct even though its 2.50 extra.

Another big stinger is the food in mondello park.A breakfast roll and 250mil bottle of 7up will set you back €11

What magazine is it? Most shops charge what is recomended on the ready reakoner, so it would be unusual for them t get the price wrong

Had lunch with gf in a restaurant in Piazza Navona in Rome last Friday.
    Checked the prices on the menu before we ordered, seemed reasonable.

Pasta dish, toasted ham and cheese sandwich, side order of chips as an afterthought.
    One small bottle of mineral water, one large (1 litre) beer
    I then had a second large beer while the gf went shopping.

Knew the beers were 12 each (dear anyway), figured the total would be 40ish.

Bill came to 63 euro. :eek:
    For a main course, a sandwich, and 3.5 pints.

Stared at it for about five minutes. They'd put the beers down as 13 each, small plate of chips was 6 quid, and then they added an 8.5% service charge to everything which I definitely hadn't seen anywhere, and I always check menus for things like that.

Had to leg it for a flight home, so didn't have time to argue with them, still feel a bit sick about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's quite common in Italy to add on a charge for sitting outside, or for simple service charges. It might not be stated on the menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Gerrard's Deli and Sandwich place on Baggot Street tried to charge me €7.85 today for a wrap with mayo, breaded chicken breast, one rasher and a small bit of cheese.

Told them to leave it and exactly why. Then proceeded to SuperValu where I got the exact same thing (actually- 2 rashers instead of 1) for €3.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

jahalpin wrote:
    What magazine is it? Most shops charge what is recomended on the ready reakoner, so it would be unusual for them t get the price wrong

The shop is free to charge any price it wishes. The price on the cover is a recommended price from the publisher but who is he to say what I can charge for it? The distributors - Easons and Newspread charge me up to 30 euro a week for delivery. I do not work for Tuthills but do have a shop in the west of the city. You can complain to the manager all you like, you have every right to your own opinion, but you are wrong telling him he has to sell at the RRP. RRP by the way stands for RECOMMENDED retail price.

dudara wrote:
    It's quite common in Italy to add on a charge for sitting outside, or for simple service charges. It might not be stated on the menu

I know, but most places over the week I was there indicated on the menu whether they were showing you the inside/bar price or the outside/table price. I never encountered an automatic service charge anywhere I ate or drank (which was quite a few places!).

Plus at least two items were on the bill at a higher basic price than they were on the menu.

Back to Ireland, I think it was 5.30 for a pint of lager in SamSara last time I was there - and that was about 9.00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

A short back and sides hair cut in Donnybrook €13.50

Same hair cut in Belfast ~€8.80

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

MOH wrote: »

Knew the beers were 12 each (dear anyway), figured the total would be 40ish.

Bill came to 63 euro. :eek:
    For a main course, a sandwich, and 3.5 pints.

QUOTE]

if you knew the beer was so expensive did you not put two and two together and say maybe the food will be a ripoff to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Brennans Brown sliced pan 800g - T and T Stores Johnstown Co. KK - €1.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

el tel wrote: »
    A short back and sides hair cut in Donnybrook €13.50

Same hair cut in Belfast ~€8.80

:mad:

13.50 isn't a lot of money for the lenght of time it takes to cut hair .

I'd be embarrased walking out from a hair cutting ,if i paid any less than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

two litre avonmore milk €2.70 in blakes shop dublin road carlow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

_Brian_ wrote: »
    13.50 isn't a lot of money for the lenght of time it takes to cut hair .

I'd be embarrased walking out from a hair cutting ,if i paid any less than that.

Anything more than €10 and I'm not happy. I work near the Bolton Barber, funnily enough on North King Street and he works out at €10.

On topic, Centra on Bolton Street had been €0.79 for the Wispa. Someone must have told them that Spar were charging €0.95 because they've now increased their price to the same as Spar's.

EDIT - I was in the Centra on Bolton Street today where they've now upped the price of the Wispa to a whopping €0.99, that's a massive €0.20 increase since they first got them in a few days ago. I'm really annoyed, I can only imagine it's taking advantage of the interest in the bar. I'm not usually one to complain but I've very tempted to ask for the manager tomorrow so he can justify the increase.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement