Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Dearest' thread... (post your items here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

MOH wrote: »
    Had lunch with gf in a restaurant in Piazza Navona in Rome last Friday.
    Checked the prices on the menu before we ordered, seemed reasonable.

Pasta dish, toasted ham and cheese sandwich, side order of chips as an afterthought.
    One small bottle of mineral water, one large (1 litre) beer
    I then had a second large beer while the gf went shopping.

Knew the beers were 12 each (dear anyway), figured the total would be 40ish.

Bill came to 63 euro. :eek:
    For a main course, a sandwich, and 3.5 pints.

Stared at it for about five minutes. They'd put the beers down as 13 each, small plate of chips was 6 quid, and then they added an 8.5% service charge to everything which I definitely hadn't seen anywhere, and I always check menus for things like that.

Had to leg it for a flight home, so didn't have time to argue with them, still feel a bit sick about it.

I was in Bali in July with herself

We had 2 starters, 2 main courses, 2 sprites, 3 large beers (650ml bottles), pot of tea, tip all for around €12-€13 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭wba88

Trampas wrote: »
    I was in Bali in July with herself

We had 2 starters, 2 main courses, 2 sprites, 3 large beers (650ml bottles), pot of tea, tip all for around €12-€13 :D

You got ripped off buddy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Rang up Hmv the other day looking for the orange box. Was quoted 80 bloody euro! Then again this is the shop that tried to sell Bomberman act:Zero (possibly the worst commercial game ever made) for 84 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭wba88

Rang up Hmv the other day looking for the orange box. Was quoted 80 bloody euro! Then again this is the shop that tried to sell Bomberman act:Zero (possibly the worst commercial game ever made) for 84 quid.

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/3359578/-/Product.html?cur=258

Save €18 and dont bother going into the shop, the prices Irish shops get away with charging these days is unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

€22 for a haircut in the Trinity Barber, off Dame Street. [Townsend St? It's the one that goes up to the left when your back is to College Green.]

They had no prices displayed, and she did a fairly thorough job, but jaaaaaaaayzus. I wasn't expecting that. And I didn't even get a student discount!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

coolhandc wrote: »
    if you knew the beer was so expensive did you not put two and two together and say maybe the food will be a ripoff to?

I'd looked at the menu before I sat down. Knew what I was having, price was reasonable. Had a rough idea what gf was having, price was reasonable. Didn't know how much a plate of chips was. And the beer wasn't madly expensive anyway. My problem was that the final bill bore little relation to the prices displayed on the menu. Hence rip-off.

Assuming you're talking about the console version, both 360 and PS3 are €60 (£42) delivered from HMV.co.uk. So that's a definite rip-off by HMV here!

Flew back from Charleroi two weeks ago. Just made the flight with 20 mins to spare after a hectic transfer across Brussels off another flight. Exhausted, shelled out €2 for a 500ml bottle of Coke from the 'snack bar' hatch.
    Collapsed into seat, glugged Coke, sat back and closed eyes. Opened eyes on hearing thunk of bottle of Coke being dispensed from vending machine beside me. Out of curiosity, checked price - €1.50. Doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Spar in Orlagh Knocklyon wanted 1.79 for a muffin!!! Needless to say I didn't buy it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Pet wrote: »
    €22 for a haircut in the Trinity Barber, off Dame Street. [Townsend St? It's the one that goes up to the left when your back is to College Green.]

They had no prices displayed, and she did a fairly thorough job, but jaaaaaaaayzus. I wasn't expecting that. And I didn't even get a student discount!

they is breaking the law so. you should report them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Belkin Firewire Cable in Tralee:

Argos €14.99

Soundstore €9.99

Harvey Norman €30.00

The descendents of the thieves now appear to be returning to their roots from Australia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Bethany

Do you think this is dear, I wasn't sure, thought maybe I was out of touch.
    Two bowls of vegetable soup with brown bread, one small bowl of very nice chunky chips, one dessert(some kind of apple sponge},one pot of tea and one cup of coffee.......total 31euro 95 cents.Location was Avoca in Rathcoole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It is expensive but Avoca is known for this. Had they no prices displayed? You could have refused to pay at the til...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Bethany

To be truthful I enjoyed it and just wanted to see what people thought. Nice place for occasional lunch but not for me as a regular thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just for comparison between Spar and the vending machine in work(not subsidised and we used to think they were dear over the years!)

Hunky Dorys --> Spar-60c, Work -50c(all crisps this price)
    Mars bar --> Spar-85c Work -65c (all standard bars this price)

Once forked out 5.20 for a pint of lager in carpenterstown pub back in '04, needless to say the group we were in made a rowdy scene when charged for that back then and never went back.

Never went back to Dandelions since first time there 2 years ago, pint of lager cost back then 5.80.
    I always stick to my local, they tend not to rip-off their regular customers and still survive.
    Maybe i don't come across much rip-off places as ye guys.

I shop in Lidl's, bring lunch to work, always eat food at home purchased mostly in Lidl's(Dunnes/tesco 2nd choice, hardly eat from spars/centra's), drink in either my local or get drink from the offy...its in my DNA to avoid to getting ripped off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Was told last night that Dandlions now charge €6 for a pint. A mate of mine was charged €6.70 for a pint of staropromen in Pravda on friday night :eek:

The infamous petrol station on the quays now charges 174.5 a litre for petrol and diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

[QUOTE=

The infamous petrol station on the quays now charges 174.5 a litre for petrol and diesel[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a big reduction, last time I passed it was 179.9. How can they get by on that?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

eo980 wrote: »
    Anything more than €10 and I'm not happy. I work near the Bolton Barber, funnily enough on North King Street and he works out at €10.

On topic, Centra on Bolton Street had been €0.79 for the Wispa. Someone must have told them that Spar were charging €0.95 because they've now increased their price to the same as Spar's.

EDIT - I was in the Centra on Bolton Street today where they've now upped the price of the Wispa to a whopping €0.99, that's a massive €0.20 increase since they first got them in a few days ago. I'm really annoyed, I can only imagine it's taking advantage of the interest in the bar. I'm not usually one to complain but I've very tempted to ask for the manager tomorrow so he can justify the increase.

Cadbury put a price increase through last week so that would explain the increase from 95 to 99 and I would imagine the original price of 79 was a mistake by whoever put it on their system. 79 would probably be the rrp, a Centra store in city centre wouldn't last 5 mins selling products at the rrp

bmaxi wrote: »
    Wow, that's a big reduction, last time I passed it was 179.9. How can they get by on that?:rolleyes:

last time i saw the price was about 2 weeks ago, theyve obviously bumped it up again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

A mate of mine was charged €6.70 for a pint of staropromen in Pravda on friday night :eek:
    I agree that's expensive, but there's no cover charge in pravda so it balances out over the night, plus i'd rather pay 6.70 for a nice botteld foreign beer than a 4.90-5.10 for a badly poured pint of vinegar mixed with Miller. I wish there were more places like Pravda, then people who want to listen to good music and drink nice beer would have a few more options, and the prices would have to go down. The management of Pravda seem sound and all, but it's like they know they offer a unique and nice drinking enviroment in Dublin and can charge whatever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

In Balbriggan cinema they charge adult prices to bring kids to the evening shows. Like its not dear enough already to bring your kids to the flicks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

tap water and a dash of lime - €3.20 in the Q Bar dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

The RRP of wispas was 75c at the launch. Cadbury did indeed put up their prices in the last fortnight. Some of the lines went up twice in three weeks. Upto 16% in some cases. As for the big increase in wispa, when the sun shines you make hay. I would increase the price too if I got the chance. Its all about supply and demand. Personally, I went into an ESSO on the N4 last week and bought all the wispas on the stand (8) then the girl pointed out the other stand and I bought all them too. Now I have a personal stash in the car which has to be hidden from the wife

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

3 (red, green, yellow) medium sized peppers from Spar in Meakstown - €3.89.

tap water and a dash of lime - €3.20 in the Q Bar dublin

:eek::eek:

where do these places draw the line. And my mates wonder why I very rarely venture past the local in Dublin these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

grahamo wrote: »
    In Balbriggan cinema they charge adult prices to bring kids to the evening shows. Like its not dear enough already to bring your kids to the flicks!

:eek::eek:Can they do that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

This is no joke, in the canteen i was charged .... wait for it 35cent for...... a cup of hot water . Now cold water is free BUT the cost to boil it was their response ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yeah, electricity costs money you know. We used to be charged 10c in school so we could get boiling water for soup/pot noodles/tea.

In Centra on Wicklow Street the price of my sandwich has been fluctuating even though I buy the same sandwich everyday. ranging from €2.99 to €3.99 for the same sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

€9.97 for a ham and cheese panini in a pub in Kilkenny. Mediocre lunch for 2 cost €38!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The RRP of wispas was 75c at the launch. Cadbury did indeed put up their prices in the last fortnight.

It wasn't just wispas that went up, it was everything. It's all because of the huge increase in the prices of dairy and wheat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Nightwish wrote: »
    €9.97 for a ham and cheese panini in a pub in Kilkenny. Mediocre lunch for 2 cost €38!

Jaysus :D Were the staff wearing balaclavas !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Another one not from Ireland

Airport in Prague - didn;t have crowns yet, so paid in Euro
    bottle of water and bottle of Powerade - 8 euro

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement