Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pollack recipes

Options
  • 02-09-2007 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Been doing a bit of sea angling recently and keep catching pollack. Now they are good looking fish and I like fishing off the rocks where they live, but the little fishing I can manage is predicated on "one for the pot" + showing my youngsters what daddy has been up to.
    But the pollack has been very disappointing eating - like a less tasty whiting. Does anyone have any recipes for making the most of this fish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

no i dont! but i have eaten it for 23 euros in a restaurant under the "blossom" monicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 rebelcork

Pollack is best eaten very fresh with the skin off the fillet.It works well if floured and egg and breadcrumbs and fried.It can also be baked with a herb crust, basically a bread stuffing and cheese layered ontop of fillet and baked for ten minutes at gas 5.Try it also as part of a chowder or fish pie or mix it with tinned salmon in fish cakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Gut the fish and salt/pepper the cavity. Gently tack the fish to an oak board and roast at 500 degrees for 8 hours. Then throw away the fish and eat the board!!:D

Seriously, gut and bleed them straight off the hook and then salt the fillets when you get home. Pollack gut contents seem to go off very quickly so removing them is the ticket, and the salting firms it up a lot. The pan fry it with a little garlic butter. Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Yup, I gut them straight way. Salting the fillets sounds like a good idea. Or might try then as fish cakes - enough spices in there and it'll do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Gut the fish, wash it & pat dry with kitchen paper.
    Place on a large square of kitchen foil
    In the cavity sprinkle salt & pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice, some dill, a couple of bay leaves & a knob of butter.
    Stick a few slices of lemon or garlic on top of the fish. (Some fennel would be good too.)
    Bring the corners of the foil together & crimp along the edges to make a foil envelope around the fish.
    Be sure to leave plenty of room in there for the steam to circulate.
    Before you finish crimping all of the edges to seal the "envelope" pour in a glass of white wine & a dash of Pernod if you have it.
    Stick in the oven at around 170C for 20 to 25 minutes (longer if it is a really big un).

• Advertisement
Advertisement