Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oil pressure

Options
  • 02-09-2007 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

hi all,

could somebody tell me if it is possible to check my oil pressure without going to a garage, the reason i ask is the oil light on my mk4 astra has stopped coming on when i turn on the ignition and although i have a sneaking suspicion that this is the reason "dont know why think i overheard someone use the terms in a conversation somewhere" or else its just a blown blub which i will change myself rather then get charged a small fortune by a garage.

cheers for any help.

ps. oil levels are ok as i recently put oil in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The fact that the light does not come on probably indicates a fault with the oil pressure switch. It's very rare for those warning bulbs to blow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

yeah it was wishfull thinking, cheers crosstownk. will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

yeah it was wishfull thinking, cheers crosstownk. will check it out

A switch is a much simpler problem than a bulb! Far less stripping required to replace it, and the part is probably at the right side of €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Sorry to thread hijack op!

But what are correct readings to expect from a pressure gauge,likewise oil temp?
    Ie what kind of figures indicate problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd imagine that varies from engine to engine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

hi all,

could somebody tell me if it is possible to check my oil pressure without going to a garage, the reason i ask is the oil light on my mk4 astra has stopped coming on when i turn on the ignition and although i have a sneaking suspicion that this is the reason "dont know why think i overheard someone use the terms in a conversation somewhere" or else its just a blown blub which i will change myself rather then get charged a small fortune by a garage.

cheers for any help.

ps. oil levels are ok as i recently put oil in it.

If there's only 1 wire going to the oil switch then earth the wire with the ign on, the light should come on. That eliminates the cabling and the bulb. In all probability its the switch.

Advertisement