Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting around the u.l. network(legally)

• 03-09-2007 3:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok found out a while back that certain services such as online gaming are blocked from the u.l. network with the on campus accom. Now i know there are a few ways around the u.l. firewalls but i want to know are any of them possible without U.L. getting pissed off with you and ****ing you over?

The most obvious one is proxy tunneling or proxy bypass, theres also a way of doing it(cant remember what its called) but it involves going through an always on computer at home and that one seems a pain in the ass. Theres also circumventor sites but i personally dont have a clue how to work this with gaming.

Surely there is some way around the network that doesnt break the rules, im not trying to cause trouble here just play a couple of games of counterstrike in the evenings.

Also if anyone has a full list of u.l. on campus network rules can you please post them so i dont accidently do the wrong thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

I lived in Kilmurry and this was a pain for me too, cause I play a nice bit of poker online. Use a program called proxifier, you have to buy it but there are cracks available. Use socscap along wit proxifier too. Nobody ever bothered me about using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Well having the villages when it was open net access I know why the cut down on it. The villages were like an open wound. Any virus that hit and was cleaned from the base UL network always found its way back in via machines on the village networks.

Also they were open to abuse with Warez, etc etc.

So they rightfully closed them down. I did think at one point someone complained that they couldnt play quake and ITD said well if you want buy your own network gear we dont mind.

The ITD rules of conduct are here http://www.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Information%20Technology%20Division/ITD%20Regulations?did=17628343

Considering that all network activity is supposed to be for academic work I dont think you can really complain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

yup i cant complain but i can certainly try and do somthing about it :P .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

neway to get the webcams working from msn over the network?

chatting works fine but cant get the cam working

dunno but wel surly figure it out over time, as soon as they hook me up with my connection(fudgers trying to claim i didnt pay) ill be working around the clock to make sure i have all my gaming etc workin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

hey partricide, wat village u livin in?, im in dromroe, couple o the lads n myself play css in the evenings a few times, if you are in dromroe, or if anyonelse is in dromroe who wants to play any lan games, send me a pm n il give ya my msn

cool cool, im down here in thomann, once i get a bit o practice in(not used to this keyboard/controll config yet) a might be up for a few games alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

hey partricide, wat village u livin in?, im in dromroe, couple o the lads n myself play css in the evenings a few times, if you are in dromroe, or if anyonelse is in dromroe who wants to play any lan games, send me a pm n il give ya my msn

They can be in any village. Doesnt have to be Dromroe.

...AW thanks man....i REALLY didnt know that, REALLY, i REALLY appreciate that:p

so yeah, if anyone on campus is interested in lan games of any sort, (mostly css tho) gimme a pm, and ill give ya my msn.....although the lads are kinda addicted to their X-box's at the mo....

Glad i've clarified that! Because some clueless first year was probably like, "ah, dromroe? I'm not in dromroe" and we've lost ourselves a player!

No need to be so grateful though...i dont swing that way :)

• Advertisement

.....stfu!........ :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

If any of you play any online games the you might want to take a look at http://irish-esports.com/ They have a few UL students, and are getting a dedicated server setup soon.

Also down by the groody roundabout there's frontier X which is an internet café/gaming café which has loads of games installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Heliosvector

with so many people interested in this would someone not set up a game club? I for one am comming to UL next year and will be bringing my xbox 360 and gaming PC (super high end) i love to brag. It would be great to have organised sessions since online seems to be very hard to configure.

I dont see why i wont be able to use my 360 there since viruses are not transmitted through xbox live, wich was why the cut down on this was made.

Ill have a few monitors too. Would it not be very academic to have game teams? Since Ireland is supposed to become The IT nation, why not have compuer game competitions between colleges, just like they have with phisical sports.

Strangely enough there is one.. called Gsoc... wow wouldnt that have been funny, if there wasnt a gaming soc in a university!

are you being funny or not... i cant tell.

Ooops sorry that humour was reserved for college kids.. my bad

Yes UL does have a very active gaming scene.

UL does have a gaming society, but to be honest it's probably not exactly what you'd be hoping for.

I'll give you a brief overview (and history lesion)

The UL games society (Gsoc) is one of the oldest societies in UL. Back in the 90's there was "a strong focus on role-playing games" (where a bunch of people act weird). A few years on they moved into card games such as Magic: The Gathering etc...

In 2002 Gsoc acquired another society called FragNET which "opening up the world of computer games." Around this time Gsoc added paintballing to their list of activities which is their main scheme for recruiting new members.

Gsoc this kinda 3 groups in 1: There's the group that's into role-playing games, the paintballing stuff (which everyone is interested in) and the console and pc gaming stuff.

Personally I don't have any interest in the role playing stuff and card games, but at the moment that's the way the society is moving. In the last year or 2 they scraped their gaming (console&pc) officer and made their "RPG Officer, Minister for Critical Failures" a more centralised position. Don't get me wrong, gsoc does still go frontier X (a local LAN gaming place) and do stuff like that, it's just their kinda moving in the opposite direction to what you're probably interested in Heliosvector.

The last time I remember gsoc running anything big in terms of pc gaming was an event 2 years ago called SkyLan, but it was more organised by skynet - the computer society, than the gsoc.

At the moment I'd say that if you're interested in online pc gaming then your best bet is to just join an online gaming community - as I kindly advertised before the only gaming community with a large number of UL students is http://irish-esports.com/

I will just mention that the above has been written from the point of view of a kinda unactive gsoc member in 1st year.

If you want to find out more about gsoc their website is http://www.skynet.ie/~ulgsoc/

what!! no Halo3!!! i guess i will have to change some things myself when i come next year lol!

On console day the gsoc does play Halo 3, but it's not a big aspect of the society.

Don't worry - you're not the only one who wants to change things

On the other hand, Irish E-Sports has about 5 people in the UL area playing halo 3, with other members in other parts of Ireland playing too.

Do you see where I'm going with this :)

Being honest, if you are intending to go to UL next year then you should be studying rather than playing games...

Have you submitted your application form for Dromroe etc etc

• Advertisement

man im not stupid. of course im going to do my studies. I hate it when people look down at playing games. its just a think i like to do at night when there is nothing going on. I mean im not going to come to UL to play games. I dont see you saying that to the athletes that come to UL, who actually do come for that reason apart from others.

During my time at UL i will get nothing but the best in academic effort, but playing some bit will be nice. After all i will be doing computer science or game developement. Just like the athletes usually are studying fitness science or PE ect...

I come here to ask little nit picky questions. Games are not my life, but i sure am amazing at it. It would kine of be a waste to leave my 2.5k PC and system home for 4yrs after just getting them.

Take a chill pill.. christ! If all you can think about is playing games at college, then freshers week is gonna be one hell of an eye opener for you

FYI.. i did my degree in Comp Systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

but i sure am amazing at it.

haha famous last words

sorry about that i guess i whent overboard. Im just so annoyed with ULs contact emails. They either dont work, or dont reply, at all! Rose Merrigans link for her email isnt even working. I even had to call the resception a few minutes ago to get it.

THe email on the web site is correct

http://www.ul.ie/campuslife/accommodationcontact.htm

yah yeah, but how do they play? can you lan across villages (places within the ul network? or do you have to come together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

tbh, if you want to play games online or use torrents etc. don't stay on campus...it's too much hassle than it's worth to find an alternative...incidentally, if anyone knows how to get torrents working on campus, feel free to pm me ;)...

i suppose i could do that, but i want to be in campus. Im not going to move away just for games

JoseJones wrote: »
    tbh, if you want to play games online or use torrents etc. don't stay on campus...it's too much hassle than it's worth to find an alternative...incidentally, if anyone knows how to get torrents working on campus, feel free to pm me ;)...

Me too.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you can play LAN games no problem. Theres a group of about 10 of us that play regularly! Most of us are fourth years though...

If you doing Comp Sys, may God have mercy on your soul.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement