Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are there speed cameras in the Port Tunnel?

Options
  • 03-09-2007 9:24am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does the tunnel have speed cameras does anyone know? Has anyone been done? A 50 km/h speed limit is ridiculous...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I haven't seen any North-Bound anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

Zascar wrote:
    Does the tunnel have speed cameras does anyone know? Has anyone been done? A 50 km/h speed limit is ridiculous...

The limit is 80km/h. They can reduce the limit if necessary ie, for repairs etc. There are no camera's yet as there would be warnings displayed. 80 km/h is a very reasonable limit as any accident would case havoc imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

From what I've read there is an agreement with the Police that anyone excessively speeding through the tunnel will be reported, there are cameras every couple of hundred metres and they can tell what speed you are doing, the same can be said for trucks using the right hand lane and overtaking in the tunnel, tbh 80kmh is fast enough through it (only 3 mins or so) and remember if you were to lose control hit a truck full of jet fuel (they do use it as I know a driver) the consequences could be devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Don't screw around in a tunnel, if a truck jack-knifes in front of you, there is no footpath / hardshoulder / verge to give you space.

http://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBS_en___IE222&q=tunnel+of+death

• Advertisement
Advertisement