Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The sinking ship dilemma thread.

• 03-09-2007 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Where do you stand on the whole "Save the women and children first" school of thought that comes into play if say you were on a sinking boat out in the middle of the big blue sea? Should the chicks and the sproggs get the lifeboat just because their willies aren't as big as yours?

Pighead can’t see much reason for sacrificing himself for a strange woman or child. Pigheads a rubbish swimmer and chances are if I let Miss Stranger and her brat of a kid on a lifeboat ahead of me it'll result in death. And as everybody knows death is almost impossible to beat.

"Oh but Pighead men are physically stronger and therefore have a better chance of surviving" Thats crap, what are you gonna do, lift the ocean above your head in one mighty roar and throw all the dangerous water away? Nah, fcuk that. Every man woman and child for themselves says Pighead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

And who says chivalry is dead?

:)

It's about the survival of the species! One dead Pighead and one alive female stranger improves the gene pool...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Kids, yes. Women, no.

...said the actor to the bishop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Oriel wrote:
    Kids, yes. Women, no.

...said the actor to the bishop.

+1

It bugs the sh1t out of me how the life of a random woman is held in a higher regard than that of a random man.

i.e when people/news reports proclaim that 'women and children are amongst the dead'.

Children, fair enough, don't disagree with that, but specifing women is just an insult to the men who died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

And who says chivalry is dead?

:)

It's about the survival of the species! One dead Pighead and one alive female stranger improves the gene pool...
    Even if that one alive female stranger is coolsmileygirl or princess la la?

The-Rigger wrote:

Children, fair enough, don't disagree with that, but specifing women is just an insult to the men who died.
    What if the kid is a right little fcuker though?

Like say it was a cruise ship you were on and you were sneakily checking out his mothers arse as she bent over to pick up her sunscreen and he proceeded to tell his mother what you were doing. Would you still save him then? No didn't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Pighead wrote:
    What if the kid is a right little fcuker though?

Like say it was a cruise ship you were on and you were sneakily checking out his mothers arse as she bent over to pick up her sunscreen and he proceeded to tell his mother what you were doing. Would you still save him then? No didn't think so.

I wasn't referring to the sinking ship dilemma myself, more a general comment on society.

However, you make a fair point, also, these kids have had less chance to get attached to their life, I'm quite attached to mine.

So I think if I saw an irritating one, or one with some meat on his bones, I might use him as a float.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

If she was hot and offered me sex in return for letting her sit on my knee in the boat, then I'd let her on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

One might argue that with men's infinite amount of sperm, they should be spared in order to go forth and procreate to compensate for lives lost.

With woman's limited time span for reproduction, it is clear that to save them before man makes little sense.

Hm?? Yes??

As a woman currently guaranteed a seat, I would be in favour of men over precocious little brats to share the lifeboat with!

pid() wrote:
    If she was hot and offered me sex in return for letting her sit on my knee in the boat, then I'd let her on it.
    Nope, not allowed pid(). Its either you or her. Hot sex doesn't come into it. Unless you make her sign smething that says she must give you hot sex if you give her your place and by some miracle you survive the oceans strong deathly grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The saying "Every man for himself" comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I hear certain women can be used as floatation devices...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Ah sure all boats now have enough lifeboats for everyone on the ship.

eamoss wrote:
    Ah sure all boats now have enough lifeboats for everyone on the ship.
    Well this one doesn't smart arse, the safety inspector got pissed with the chamber maids and forgot to deck out the whole of the east side of the ship with lifeboats thus leaving a vast shortage.

So with that information in mind eamoss, would you save the women and chicks or would you save yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

The-Rigger wrote:
    So I think if I saw an irritating one, or one with some meat on his bones, I might use him as a float.

LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

exactly how many life boats are on this boat because if only a handful of people need to be left behind then just leave the gingers. men women and children gingers.

clown bag wrote:
    exactly how many life boats are on this boat because if only a handful of people need to be left behind then just leave the gingers. men women and children gingers.
    And with one single post clown bag wipes his name off Terry's and coolsmileygirls Christmas lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Being the highly efficient and fair chap that I am, I would say that, regardless of gender, the fatsos can drown since more skinny people would fit on the boat.

However, I would be the only fat one allowed on because it was my idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Being the highly efficient and fair chap that I am, I would say that, regardless of gender, the fatsos can drown since more skinny people would fit on the boat.

However, I would be the only fat one allowed on because it was my idea.

hahaha what a thread!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

clown bag wrote:
    I think thats actually why the boat is sinking in the first place. Its gods way of saying he hates the colour ginger and he made a huge mistake!

• Advertisement

Well sometimes you have to choose whos lives are worth more in the greater scheme of things. Like if there were space for 3 people in a lifeboat and the 5 people on the sinking ship were Kofi Anan, Santa Claus, Adi Roche princess la la and faceman, then Pigheads pretty sure which two should be left to perish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I agree with the current set-up vis-à-vis lifeboats.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Survival of the fittest.

So I would allow hot chicks to share my boat, everyone else can drown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Pighead wrote:
    Even if that one alive female stranger is coolsmileygirl or princess la la?
    Pighead. You have a point.

I'm with you.... To the liferaft!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

It's about the survival of the species! One dead Pighead ... improves the gene pool...
    Edited for accuracy. :D

I suppose if it were down to the survival of the species then it does seem odd that there wasn't a cut-off for women at ~40, let all the old women wait their turn with the men...

I would have thought that it was more to do with men being generally stronger and more athletic than women, so they stand more chance of surviving in dire conditions...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Pighead seems to have missed the point completley with regard the code of Chivalry,

yesto Rescue'n Wimmins & Kiddies, but emphasis on the Rescue part, tis Concubines and slaves fer yer desert Islands,After ya secure da Boat !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No way, Chopper first and then everybody else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

DaveMcG wrote:
    I would have thought that it was more to do with men being generally stronger and more athletic than women, so they stand more chance of surviving in dire conditions...

But if the conditions are dire enough to require mass evacuation then the odds of a man surviving are not really higher than a woman's at all.

Like in a burning building, what's a man going to do that a woman can't? Beat the flames down with his manly man arms? :p

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    The problem is, physical strength does not help you survive in freezing waters. If you let the women and kids into the lifeboat you're signing you're own death warrant.

Would you let an 89 year old woman ahead of you? She's probably gonna die in a couple of years so surely you are more deserving of the place on the lifeboat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Women retain more fat than men.
    Fat retains heat.
    Women go in the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I think I'd be one of the tits letting all the kids and wimmins take my seat. Well I like to think so at least, I've yet to be in the situation and I guess actions will speak louder than words.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

farohar wrote:
    I suppose if it were down to the survival of the species then it does seem odd that there wasn't a cut-off for women at ~40, let all the old women wait their turn with the men...
    You'd want the cut off earlier than that for them to be producing enough sprogs to ensure the survival of the species. Blokes on the other hand have a much longer shelf life on the reproducing front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

depends, if the woman was my wife then yeah she can have my life raft place. Any other munters can go fish :D

L31mr0d wrote:
    depends, if the woman was my wife then yeah she can have my life raft place. Any other munters can go fish :D
    Any other munters would imply that you're wife will also be a munter. Good man L31mr0d, aim for the stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Why is everybody talking about 'survival of the species'? Is the whole of planet Earth on this boat? No wonder it's sinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Good point mister exit. The species is doing grand - too grand, you might say.

I am quietly confident that I'd be able to surpress that primitive urge to save the wimmins. After all, I have to surpress the primitive urge to fondle and sniff the wimmins fairly regularly, don't I? Except me smot. She gets sniffed and fondled twice a week minumum - except for the "off" week, or, "blow job week" as I like to call it, which is all well and good but back to the point: feck the wimmins.

edit-I might save a few sprogs though. It'd impress the other non dead wimmins back on shore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I would blow up the ship and than cut away all the lifeboats!!! Equality for all!

OctavarIan wrote:
    But if the conditions are dire enough to require mass evacuation then the odds of a man surviving are not really higher than a woman's at all.

Like in a burning building, what's a man going to do that a woman can't? Beat the flames down with his manly man arms? :p

What good would a lifeboat be in a burning building? :D

"Paddle god damn you! The flames are getting closer!!!"

:D

But yeah I see your point! Maybe it's because men are more resourceful and keep a more level head than women? ;) Think of the panic if a woman is in the water and touches off a bit of seaweed!

Pighead I don't know if life merit is a good parameter to go by! Mother Theresa was an oul' wan and she did more good deeds (and helped mankind more) than probably most "normal" people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

One might argue that with men's infinite amount of sperm, they should be spared in order to go forth and procreate to compensate for lives lost.

With woman's limited time span for reproduction, it is clear that to save them before man makes little sense.

Hm?? Yes??

I think Cherie has it bang on here. That would have been the traditional reason, apart from the women are weak and need more help logic. We men are fairly dispensible in the greater scheme of things. One man and 40 women would be far more reproductive than 40 men and one woman!

But of course, in the modern world, when it's probably more sensible to control the population so that we don't run out of space on our heavily polluted little blue-green sphere, we should probably reverse it. Men and male children first to the lifeboats. Save the world, drown the women.

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:

Pighead I don't know if life merit is a good parameter to go by! Mother Theresa was an oul' wan and she did more good deeds (and helped mankind more) than probably most "normal" people...
    Nah she would have got thrown off as well. In fairness her early work was good but since the early 70's Pighead always reckoned she's been living off past glories. A bit like Cat Stevens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

One man and 40 women would be far more reproductive than 40 men and one woman!

Oh hell when you put it that way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭KilbarrackBlows

the way i see it
    if you let women and children go first there more likely to be the first to drown so there for you would have more stuff to keep you afloat when you jump off the sinking ship so yes women and children first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

Id just shout "dont worry folks! I know what to do"

and be away paddling in my own lifeboat before they know what hit them

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Terry wrote:
    Fat retains heat.
    Women go in the water.
    a fine example Terry, a motto for life

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I choose myself over some randome person. What do I care if they die?

I choose myself over some randome person. What do I care if they die?
    Is the right answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Pighead wrote:
    Any other munters would imply that you're wife will also be a munter. Good man L31mr0d, aim for the stars.

semantics pighead??? how far the mighty have fallen, for shame :(

It comes down really to a persons belief in an afterlife. I'd say all non-theists would be rolling the kids along the ground and knocking the women over like 10 pin bowling to get them out of the way and secure their seat on the life raft, as once this life ends, back into non existance they go. Whereas people that have a firm belief in some form of immortality would possibly happily give up their seat to help another and die blissfully knowing they would soon be in Elysium, or some other place with clouds and philadelphia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

As long as me and Mr Nala were ok I wouldn't be too concerned about strangers but I do think younger people should be saved before 90 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Terry wrote:
    Fat retains heat.
    Women go in the water.
    :D
    That was brilliant

• Advertisement
Advertisement