Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valkyrie Profile 2

Options
  • 03-09-2007 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

I'd been looking forward to this a while ago, but to be honest, kind of forgot about it. I was just looking through an old import review and saw that its dated for European release this week. Can anyone confirm that, or give any update to the release date?

I'm really hoping that there'a at least one more classic, in the form of this game, left for the PS2.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only got this game before I left America. Can't wait to play it but I really want to finish Valkyrie Profile Lenneth first (which I only just picked up as well). I played a small bit of Valkyrie Profile on the PS1 and it was one of the most beautiful 2D games ever made. I also heard that it is one of those neglected classics, a wonderfully unique RPG with a great story but sold poorly. I hope Valkyrie Profile 2 can live up to the first game. It got great reviews and is being handled by an old Enix team so the rot that has infected the Squaresoft teams hopefully hasn't tainted it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yup tis Out Friday =D,Cant wait actually,being waiting for this for a while,according to a review I read on ign.com you dont have to have played the first one as the story in this one takes place before the 1st game so you wont be confused or anything,which is great seeing as the 1st one is virtually impossible to get on the ps1 now,unless you go to america or something :rolleyes: but who in there right mind goes there anymore :P

But they brought out the first on the psp as retrogamer mentioned but its suppose to a bad port :rolleyes:

Is it any good retrogamer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I haven't even played it yet. It would involve charging my PSP again and Bioshock is a much more entertaining proposition :) I'll try it tonight and tell you how good a port it is.

Edit: Just read some of the reviews. It seems the graphics aren't as sharp as the original since they used an ugly filter effect to get rid of pixelation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I haven't even played it yet. It would involve charging my PSP again and Bioshock is a much more entertaining proposition :) I'll try it tonight and tell you how good a port it is.

Edit: Just read some of the reviews. It seems the graphics aren't as sharp as the original since they used an ugly filter effect to get rid of pixelation.

ya cheers,then I can decide if I want to buy it or not,mind you I think i'll just stick with the one coming out this friday,but of course retrogamer you got it in america so dont have to wait till friday to play it :P:p While us other sod do :'(.Was just looking at a few screen shots on www.rpgdreamers.com of the oringinal game that came out on the ps1,I must say it looks cool and it got 10/10 :eek:

Just had a quick go today of Lenneth and it brings back a lot of memories of the 2 hours I played of the original. The game is basically a straight port of the PS1 game. I have to say that the filter effect really is pretty bad. The sprites have lost a lot of detail due to the bluriness and the first time you see it it's as if your eyes aren't focused properly. It also has been stretched to fit the widescreen but this is understandable for a 2D game since all the art assets would have to be redrawn from scratch otherwise.

Anyway back to the game. I remember it being a really emotional affair with a strong theme about people dealing with death. You basically play a valkyrie collecting the souls of dead warriors for the upcoming armageddon type battle (whatever it's called in norse mythology, Ragnorak methinks). When a warrior is near death you follow them around during the last few moments of their lives. It's all rather emotional and made for a wonderful story and game. I heard it was also quite non-linear. Anyway I can't wait to sink my teeth into it. If you don't want to get the PSP version you could try the PS1 version on the PSP PS1 emulator. I think it was on 2 discs though so make sure you can save before changing discs.

Edit: Wow, Square Enix are complete c*nts. Just saw on wikipedia that the european release date is a few days short of a year after the American release date. Now if they get around to actually releasing the amazing Front Mission 5 in any form as long as it's in english I might forgive them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Actually, is there much else on the horizon for the PS2? Are there any more potential greats to look forward to?

Nah I dont think theres any other major rpg releases for the ps2 in europe,there probbly will be a few though in america and japan id say so if you have a chipped ps2 you'd be able to order them online,unless retrogamer is aware of any That are coming out in europe?

actually you should go to gamefaqs.com they show release dates for games on that site for europe,america and japan tis really handy :D

Well Odin Sphere has been out in America for a while now. It's a Action game/RPG hybrid and a very fantastic one at that. The story line is amazing as is the action but the stand out are the graphics. The 2D sprites and backgrounds really need to be seen in motion (especially the bosses). It is by far the most beautiful game ever made despite the advances made by the next gen consoles. I'm not sure there will be a european release date but it did very well in america despite being a small release. Hopefully Atlus will bring it here.

Persona 3 was also recently released and while I haven't played it yet it's getting rave reviews from critics and gamers. Not sure if there is a euro release date either.

NAH retrogamer none of those games you mentioned will be released in europe,just america and japan :(

ps im pmed you ther retro :)

ITS OUT today,hopefully i'll get a copy in cork :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Aye, hoping to pick up a copy in town later on too. We'll probably account for the majority of it's sales between us.

abelard wrote:
    Aye, hoping to pick up a copy in town later on too. We'll probably account for the majority of it's sales between us.

hahaha ya :) I hope to pick up lenneth,which is basically the 1st game ported to the psp,I saw it in cork city before I hope I can still get it :| have you played the first one per chance?

well I got a copy of this today along with lenth for the psp :) and another game rogue galaxy,which looks pretty good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Never knew this game was out today, just read a player review on the channel 4 teletext so decided to see when it's out. Toddled off to Gamestop, no sign of it so went off to buy some college equipment then walked to GAME in the Ilac centre and they had it there for 45 euro :D

Played for about 1h 45 mins which brought me through chapter one. Lovely graphics i think, gameplay is veeerrryy different from FF games and combat is also a drastic change for me, used to turn based stuff but found it a nice touch actually :). Cut scenes so far are very pretty and ingame stuff is informative with small crystals popping up every while giving you helpful gameplay tips and with voices turned on with text ingame it's even easier to get into it.

Combat is pretty decent with it's style and combos { i'll let you guys read up about that in the manual } with music and background sfx really nice on the ears. Can't say much more about it as i am not even 2 hours into it but looks to be a really good game that will keep me entertained :)

Never knew this game was out today, just read a player review on the channel 4 teletext so decided to see when it's out. Toddled off to Gamestop, no sign of it so went off to buy some college equipment then walked to GAME in the Ilac centre and they had it there for 45 euro :D

Played for about 1h 45 mins which brought me through chapter one. Lovely graphics i think, gameplay is veeerrryy different from FF games and combat is also a drastic change for me, used to turn based stuff but found it a nice touch actually :). Cut scenes so far are very pretty and ingame stuff is informative with small crystals popping up every while giving you helpful gameplay tips and with voices turned on with text ingame it's even easier to get into it.

Combat is pretty decent with it's style and combos { i'll let you guys read up about that in the manual } with music and background sfx really nice on the ears. Can't say much more about it as i am not even 2 hours into it but looks to be a really good game that will keep me entertained :)

have you played the first one for the ps1?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

well I got a copy of this today along with lenth for the psp :) and another game rogue galaxy,which looks pretty good :)

hey,was lookin for rogue galaxy,where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

have you played the first one for the ps1?

Sadly no :( , although i've heard it's a pretty good game.

rejkin wrote:
    hey,was lookin for rogue galaxy,where did you get it?

GAME in cork!they had good few copies to!

Sadly no :( , although i've heard it's a pretty good game.

mite get a copy on ebay or in the states but id say its near impossible to get now,I got lenth on the psp which is the first game ported to the psp:) so if you have a psp you should get it :)

Valkyrie Profile is a very hard game to find. It used to go for a lot of money on ebay before lenneth was released. It got a very low print run due to poor sales but gained a cult following due to how good the game was.

Lenneth is easy to find in europe at the moment since it was only recently released. Your best bet is to pick up lenneth here since it's hard to find in the US.

• Advertisement

Im not far into the psp version,but so far im enjoying it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Bastids ye are making me want to go into work and buy this! Never even heard of the game before I saw it on the shelves this weekend. I hope it doesn't work on the PS3 then I won't be able to buy it!

EDIT: Took the plunge and bought it from play.com for 28 euro. Alot cheaper than I would have got it in work.

If your an rpg fan (which im guessing you are)your gonna love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Well I've never really disliked a game that retr0 goes on about. Add that to the fact there's no random encounters, I was sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

just started playing valkyrie profile 2,the 2D moving is so so weird! i havent played a game with 2D movement in years,im kind of worried this will make it easier to know exactly what to do,that their wont be any challenge,if anyone has been far enough into this game,can they tell me wheter it makes it easier cause i hope not!:mad:

Advertisement