Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Positive thinking

• 03-09-2007 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi, I'm woundering are there any techniques etc I could use in order to become a positive thinker. I was looking at another thread about this site. It was saying that if you focus on what you want you will get it and the more you focus on what you don't want you attract that. Do any of you believe this? I'm not the most positive person and and do dwell on what I don't want to happen, then it usually does. I really want to change this because even if it doesn't happen (ie attract what I want) I feel I will be a happier person if I naturally focus on the positive.

Any advise appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

N.l.p.? (should be caps; can't make it work for some reason!)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tingo

Befriend someone who is a positive thinker? Or avoid friends who are constantly complaining and being negative. Other people can affect your mood/attitude.

I don't think there's any easy way or fool proof method of becoming a positive thinker. Instead of obsessing over the cloud, think of the silver linning etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

I'd recommend checking the self help section of your bookshops/library or just see what's available on the net

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

This may help, hes all about the positive psychology...me not so much, but at least he is trying to be scientific.

Its by a guy called Seligman, he is one of the main players in the new positive psychology movement. The website is called "Authentic Happiness".

The link is here

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

You could also try 'You Can Heal Your Life' by Louise L. Hay - really helped me in my teenage years and I know a few friends who are therapists and recommend the CD to them to listen to.

I 100% it to improve negative thinking. You might try some cognitive therapy too...that would be a very proactive approach to dealing with it and might resolve it conclusively for you...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Benn positive is a very hard thing to do. Just think in our everyday activities how often are we positive. Natually i believe we are drawn to the negative, becauce it is easier. However in the long run it comes out worse.

IN my job we do something called Planned Ignoring, Positive Reinforcement. Basicially if negative behaiour begins we ignore it in a planned way, however the moment the slightest iota of positve behaviour emerges we praise and give attention etc.
    Quite difficult to do.

If you need to start thinking postively, start small. Start the morning of with positive thoughts. For example if there is crap weather in the morning when you wake up find something positive about it, for example it's raining heavily, the grass and flowers will benefit greatly for it. Instead of thinking, oh its raining, my clothes will get ruined.
    Start of small and build it up. Find something positve in eveything you do from the smallest of things to the biggest.. Try not to focus on the neg, whats been done wrong etc.

Advertisement