Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt VW Passat - Can I change it myself

Options
  • 03-09-2007 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

My 98 1.9 TDI Passat is due a timing belt change.

I am led to believe that this could cost many hundreds of euros.

Should I attempt this myself??

I would be confident enough around engines and the Haynes manual rates the jobs as "3 spanners".

What do ye all think??

Thanks

Milmo

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well doing it wrong could cause alot of problems, if its not done right it could snap and destroy your engine!! I would advise going to a back street garage and get it done by them. About €250 which isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You will really need to know what you are doing - if you set the timing up incorrectly you will most likely do serious damage to your engine. Before you even get near the belt, you will have to remove the front bumper, radiator and front panel.

If you confident enough then go for it - but it's not for the faint hearted! Be sure to read the repair instructions thoroughly before you start and be certain that you understand exactly what's to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

milmo wrote:

I am led to believe that this could cost many hundreds of euros.

I would be confident enough around engines and the Haynes manual rates the jobs as "3 spanners".

What do ye all think??

Thanks

Milmo

Can't understand this mentality. Why are you driving a car if you can't pay for maintenance on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Darragh29 wrote:
    Can't understand this mentality. Why are you driving a car if you can't pay for maintenance on it?
    In fairness Darragh, not everyone can afford over-inflated service charges (not specifically aimed at you) that some garages/dealers will charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Darragh29 wrote:
    Guess who's been at the cranky cornflakes! Try reading his post again.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭milmo

Daragh,

It's a car, I haven't adopted sextuplets. Nor for that matter did I make reference to my own financial status.

I service my own car and do most minor repairs, because I derive a certain amount of self fulfillment from it, it is considerably less inconvenient than having to find the time to leave it into a garage, and I would rather spend my hard earned money on myself.

For much the same reasons I do DIY, clean my own house, and wipe my own ass.

If you have any technical opinions as to why I should or shouldn't attempt this please feel free to contribute, and I sincere welcome your advice . If you know a reliable, reasonable garage in galway that will collect my car at 1800hrs, work on it overnight, and return it by 0700hrs next morning I would also be most grateful.

Milmo

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭milmo

P.S

If it's the case that this project is outside my skills range I will happily pay a skilled professional to do this for me at a reasonable price.

Just trying to broaden my perspective

Thanks

Milmo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I do my own servicing too, and can comfortably do work like wheel bearings, and even take the engine out of tractors/old cars.

I won't even attempt to do the cambelt on my 2.0 Capri, not to mind a modern car. I suspect trying to get the timing right without having seen it be done a good few times is next to impossible.

I share the disdain for Darraghs comments. I try to do my own work for the same reasons... it is handy and it is cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

milmo wrote:
    Milmo

TBH, there's a bit of work in it, also the possibility of something going wrong with injector pump timing, cam timing and all the stuff that has to come off to gain access to it in the first place, I strongly suggest going the professional route on a job at this level.

The only experience I have of anything similar is changing the head gasket on a Lancia Fulvia many years ago. As I recall, setting the valve timing was pretty straightforward. There should be markings which all line up when the valve timing is perfect. It may take a while to get there the first time, but at least you'll be sure when you have it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The belt has to be perfectly lined up, if the valves hit the piston, say good bye engine. I'd say just bring it to the garage and get it done.
    My father hates getting it done but then again his golf is his bread and butter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

jonny24ie wrote:
    Well doing it wrong could cause alot of problems, if its not done right it could snap and destroy your engine!! I would advise going to a back street garage and get it done by them. About €250 which isn't too bad.

The Passat is one of the more labour intensive tb's to change. A lot of dismantling is necessary to even access it.

I doubt anyone would do it for €250. Think €500+.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would recommend watching a professional mechanic change a timing belt a few times before even attempting to go at it yourself. And even at that I would have a mechanic go through the steps involved with you as you do it.

I'm all for getting off your ass and getting your hands dirty but changing a timing belt is definately not for a novice imo. Potentially too much can go wrong and it usually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If you need to ask on an internet forum whether you're capable or not doing it.... you've answered your own question...

At a best bet find a mechanic mate of yours who'll do it and let you sit in on it and give him a hand... you'll learn for the next time (It's how I learned)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

milmo wrote:
    If you know a reliable, reasonable garage in galway that will collect my car at 1800hrs, work on it overnight, and return it by 0700hrs next morning I would also be most grateful.

Milmo

PM me if you want a number of someone I trust in Galway (Would have to drop the car to Headford I think). Best priced guy in Galway i've found for everything, he mainly work's on sports cars, a passat would be a doddle for him. May add a few quid to the bill though if drop it off to him at 6pm and want it back that night

JohnCleary wrote:
    PM me if you want a number of someone I trust in Galway (Would have to drop the car to Headford I think). Best priced guy in Galway i've found for everything, he mainly work's on sports cars, a passat would be a doddle for him. May add a few quid to the bill though if drop it off to him at 6pm and want it back that night
    I don't think milmo meant to be taken quite so literally!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

The Hayne's manuals are quite comprehensive and should be good enough to help you out. there is a lot of dismantling involved including dismantling some of the front suspension and removing a pulley wheel. If you have all the necessary gear, tools and the mechanical aptitude then it's not impossible. Main thing is don't rush it and remember if your a tooth off with your belt you will wreck your engine but you know that already don't you:p . Good luck with it and let us know if you go ahead DIY style and if it was a good idea or not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

is it possible to lock the existing timing of the car by inserting pins through the cam and crank wheels out of interest?
    if that is possible surely it is just a matter of removing the tensioners, removing the water pump, replacing same and letting the auto tensioners do their stuff.
    or does one rely on the timing marks on the cam and crank?
    i wouldnt attempt it on a car that has tension set by the mechanic but would consider it on a vag with auto tensioning.
    what could go wrong;)

endplate wrote:
    The Hayne's manuals are quite comprehensive and should be good enough to help you out.

i dont think they are personally. there is alot of information that isnt in them. for example when changing brake discs, one has to remove the little screw or screws that retain the brake disc on the hub. usually these are rusted(especially in the UK where the manual is written), it doesnt say anything in the manual about either using an impact driver, or drilling them out if all else fails. using conventional screwdriver as recommended would strip the head and leave you scratching your head. i can well imagine the detail left out on a timing belt change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

TBH the B5 and B5.5 Passats are one of the easiest cars possible to change the timing belt on. You dont need to remove any suspension parts at all. Just the front bumper & lock carrier. This gives you a full view of the cam and crank, unlike a transverse setup.

There are lots of guides around on the web for this job. Its very easy, just take your time and make sure the job gets done right.

A tooth either way is unlikely to cause anything other than poor performance and "should" not result in damage.

Be sure to replace the tensioner, tensioner pulley & water pump.

Haynes manuals are way over the hill, Bentley is the way to go, especially for VAG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Darragh29 wrote:
    Wow, no need for that attitude. He's trying to cut down on maintenance costs, which is a pretty sensible idea. He didn't say he couldn't afford it. If you don't have anything constructive to say just don't bother.

It cost me €450 to change the belt in my Passat 1.6 petrol by a guy in Dublin, I believe a diesel might cost a little more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

cianclarke wrote:
    Wow, no need for that attitude. He's trying to cut down on maintenance costs, which is a pretty sensible idea. He didn't say he couldn't afford it. If you don't have anything constructive to say just don't bother.

It cost me €450 to change the belt in my Passat 1.6 petrol by a guy in Dublin, I believe a diesel might cost a little more though.

I had my 1.9 TDI done a year or so back - couldn't get anyone to do it for less than €500 !

lomb wrote:
    is it possible to lock the existing timing of the car by inserting pins through the cam and crank wheels out of interest?

Yep - there is a tool to lock the cam and I'd recommend it to the OP if he wants to do the job himself.

Something like this.

maidhc wrote:
    I do my own servicing too, and can comfortably do work like wheel bearings, and even take the engine out of tractors/old cars.

I won't even attempt to do the cambelt on my 2.0 Capri, not to mind a modern car. I suspect trying to get the timing right without having seen it be done a good few times is next to impossible.

I share the disdain for Darraghs comments. I try to do my own work for the same reasons... it is handy and it is cheaper!

Grand folks, maybe I got out of the wrong side of the scratcher this morning, but having said that, it doesn't need to be said by me or anyone else here that a timing belt replacement is something only a mechanic should do. It's not just a timing belt replacement, it's also a water pump & timing tentioner bearing replacement, the cooling system has to be bled after the above parts have been replaced, etc, etc. By all mean's do your own work on your car, there is nothing wrong with that. It's not a very expensive job to get done professionally, and when I read the OP's post, I got the impression that he/she is being penny wise and pound foolish by even trying to do this job for the sakes of saving maybe two hundred quid, when the parts which have to be bought anyway are probably around 200 quid also. Look at the cost of cleaning up the mess if the OP makes a balls of the job, which is not exactly unlikely, with the utmost of respect to the OP.

cianclarke wrote:

No need for the lecture on attitude. Your advise to the OP is woodenheaded. If the OP wants to cut down on maintenance costs, then he/she would be best advised to avoid a situation whereby they could do anywhere up to 2,000 Euro worth of damage to their engine. If this isn't a constructive input, I fail to see what is. This is a very real possibility if not an absolute certainty if the OP doesn't do the job to the letter. I never said the OP couldn't afford to get this job done professionally, I simply said that there is a very simple and unavoidable fact if you have a car, and that fact is that you will have to pay for car maintenance at some stage.

Darragh29 wrote:
    Grand folks, maybe I got out of the wrong side of the scratcher this morning, but having said that, it doesn't need to be said by me or anyone else here that a timing belt replacement is something only a mechanic should do. It's not just a timing belt replacement, it's also a water pump & timing tentioner bearing replacement, the cooling system has to be bled after the above parts have been replaced, etc, etc.

Valid points Darragh and the OP should pay heed to points you raise - especially water pump replacement - if it's run by the timing belt. But if the OP is confident and reckons he can do it without feeling daunted by the task, then let him at it. If he proceeds carefully and cautiously, with the aid of a Haynes manual he should be easily able to do it. It is a maintenance item so it is really basic stuff - especially with automatic tensioners.

There is the theory that if the OP has to ask he should leave it alone - but there is the other side - If the OP thinks he can actually do it and is getting as much info as he can beforehand - then fair play to him. Nobody knows the OP's mechanical abilities better than the OP himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

jrar wrote:
    I had my 1.9 TDI done a year or so back - couldn't get anyone to do it for less than €500 !

Is that just labour or parts included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

Darragh29 wrote:
    Grand folks, maybe I got out of the wrong side of the scratcher this morning, but having said that, it doesn't need to be said by me or anyone else here that a timing belt replacement is something only a mechanic should do. It's not just a timing belt replacement, it's also a water pump & timing tentioner bearing replacement, the cooling system has to be bled after the above parts have been replaced, etc, etc. By all mean's do your own work on your car, there is nothing wrong with that. It's not a very expensive job to get done professionally, and when I read the OP's post, I got the impression that he/she is being penny wise and pound foolish by even trying to do this job for the sakes of saving maybe two hundred quid, when the parts which have to be bought anyway are probably around 200 quid also. Look at the cost of cleaning up the mess if the OP makes a balls of the job, which is not exactly unlikely, with the utmost of respect to the OP.

You made me laugh there. It is only the bad or inexperienced mechanics who need to bleed the rad. Fact is not all the hoses need to be disconnected from the rad, the better mechanics know the trick of turning the rad around the wheel arch to tie it up. Doing this means that you do not have to bleed the rad, saving time and money.

OP your dead right exploring the possibility of doing it yourself. It is easy if you know how but if your inexperienced, as others have said, best watch somebody doing it first and learn from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Darragh29 wrote:
    No need for the lecture on attitude. Your advise to the OP is woodenheaded. If the OP wants to cut down on maintenance costs, then he/she would be best advised to avoid a situation whereby they could do anywhere up to 2,000 Euro worth of damage to their engine. If this isn't a constructive input, I fail to see what is. This is a very real possibility if not an absolute certainty if the OP doesn't do the job to the letter. I never said the OP couldn't afford to get this job done professionally, I simply said that there is a very simple and unavoidable fact if you have a car, and that fact is that you will have to pay for car maintenance at some stage.
    I'd still maintain it was unconstructive input. You didn't tell him to go to a mechanic or to consider his options, but rather questioned if he should be driving a car in the first place!

But hey you said it yourself, wrong side of the bed! Fair nuff'

• Advertisement

i checked the haynes manual for the mkiv golf. it says to replace the timing belt one needs an engine hoist in order to unbolt the right engine mount for access. is this normal procedure?
    also i would get a torque wrench and torque the bolts correctly on refitting.
    what is to gaurantee an independant mechanic would not make a balls of the job? i sent in a mkiv to have the belt changed and the engine def seemed to run rougher afterwards. i think the timing may have been out by a tooth or two. i never found out haveing sold the car a few months after.
    i personally would either do the job myself with ALL the appropriate tools and knowledge or send in to a main dealer and get a gaurantee.

Advertisement