Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camcorder advice needed please

• 03-09-2007 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a camcorder. I want it to record family events. I'm not sure what to go for but have a budget of around €250 to €300. I've read that mini-dv is preferable to DVD recorders. But I'd like to watch the movies I capture on my DVD player as well as my lap-top so being to transfer them to disc is important. Sorry if these questions are very basic but I'm ignorant in this area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kcphoto

I bought a sony dv camera a few months ago for about €280.
    It takes mini dv tapes.
    As far as I am aware, the ones with the dvd recorders built in seem to have problems relating to the built in dvd writer. Also the quality is supposed to be better on the tapes.
    Generally you will need a reasonably good pc and a firewire port to download from the tape to your pc, and can then make dvds from your pc.
    If you don't have firewire port, you can usually buy a card for your pc for about €40.
    Downloading from the tape to the pc is very straightforward but you will need a good amount of free space on your hard drive, or purchase an additional drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭hamrog

Cheers KcPhoto,

You've answered all my questions - much appreciated.

Hamrog

Advertisement