Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you warm up your car!?

Options
  • 03-09-2007 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Do you warm your car up in the morning or even just when starting it from cold?

(i.e. Warming the engine up as opposed to blasting the heat!)

Every morning before I go to work , I will turn on my car and let it idle for 2 or 3 mins before I open the gates and drive off.. Just to give it a chance to "open its eyes", warm itself up a bit and for the oil to move around & lubricate the engine.

The reason I ask is because every morning, when i see my my neigbour go to work , he just starts the car, throws it into gear and is gone in a flash!! (literally 1 second after he starts the car)

... Every time i see that i think that cant be good for the car can it!

Any one else do this , any one any thoughts!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I might be your neighbour....

I'm not really, but that is what i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If I had 2-3 mins to sit around every morning, I'd probably spend it having a cup of tea instead. I'm definitely in the "hop into the car and go" category. That said, the car does feel rough for the first few minutes after I take it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I think the general consensus on this issue has changed and it's now accepted that leaving the car for a few minutes to warm up does as much or more damage ot the engine as driving straight off. More damage to the environment and your pocket also.

For my part, I have never warmed up a car in the morning unless I'm waiting for the heater to clear the frost of the windscreen for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Stark wrote:
    If I had 2-3 mins to sit around every morning, I'd probably spend it having a cup of tea instead. I'm definitely in the "hop into the car and go" category. That said, the car does feel rough for the first few minutes after I take it out.

Exactly! I don't have spare minutes in the morning!

I just drive away - but I don't rev the engine too high for the first few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I let it idle for 1 min, then don't let her over 2k RPM until the temp needle is where it should be.

With the boat engine (diesel too) I let her idle for 2-3 min, and don't drive it above 1500RPM until temp has reached where it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Never, unless it's necessary to demist/de-ice the windows. I do drive gently until the car has warmed through, though. Not that it's any great hardship, in normal driving my car never goes above 2,000rpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As others have said, I'd let it idle if I need to de-mist (though I don't take it out in the mornings much), but largely I'm in the car, engine on, CD in and I'm gone. I keep the revs sensible though until the engine's at a normal temp.

Naturally, driving the thing will heat up the engine quicker than letting it idle, so if it's cold I'm eager to get going so the heater works quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

C_Breeze wrote:
    i see my my neigbour go to work , he just starts the car, throws it into gear and is gone in a flash!! ....
    ... Every time i see that i think that cant be good for the car can it!

Your neighbour cares for his car. What he does is correct. An idling car will take a lot longer to heat up as it is not under any pressure and therefore the engine wear is prolonged.

You should always move off after starting a cold engine.

(Obviously not if the windscreen is frosted/snowed over or if it is a large vehicle such as a truck or bus).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I give it a couple of seconds while I fix my hair :D - ok look for my hair, and I never give it the beans until the needle hits norm temps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Well even if i dont have time in the morning , I would leave it for at least 30 seconds .. while i put on my seat belt and a Cd or somethin.

I just think it looks really rough to just start it and hockey it out of the driveway in 1 second.

Avens1s ...where did you get that info from . I doubt what im doin would actually be worse that just going straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Avns1s wrote:
    I think the general consensus on this issue has changed and it's now accepted that leaving the car for a few minutes to warm up does as much or more damage ot the engine as driving straight off. More damage to the environment and your pocket also.
    I think the owners manual for my Passat says something about letting it idle like that can do more damage alright

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I think the owners manual for my Passat says something about letting it idle like that can do more damage alright

Bingo , thats why also why i created this thread .... becuase i read that in my friends Passat manual ... I was told however , thats only beacuse its a german car .. and they have strict emiision and noise regulation over there ... it doesnt actually state that its bad for the engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Idling doesn't warm your gearbox or differential oil. Hence when you pull off with a warm engine you would be more inclined to drive it harder and put undue stress on these parts.

Also it pollutes more than necessary. Just start the engine give it 10-15 seconds for oil pressure to build and oil to be squirted everywhere and drive away nice and easy.

Also your oil will reach its operating temperature and max effectiveness well after the coolant has, therefore best to wait a little longer after the coolent needle has hit its operating temperature before ragging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Yes I drive mine off the second it's going. I would never let it idle. As has been mentioned above, an engine doesn't warm up very quickly when it's not under load so I would rather get moving and get it heated up. My car(a diesel) can often take nearly 6 miles before the temperature gauge even moves! I also wouldn't rev it over 2.5k until it's fully heated up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I start the engine immediately on embarkation and let it idle for the 30 or so seconds it takes me to don seatbelt and sunglasses (if required), switch on lights, fiddle with radio, and connect phone to hands free system.
    I'll then drive off, but keep it under 3k revs and no big throttle openings until it's up to temperature.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Depends on the oil that is in the engine and also the outside temp.
    JohnCleary wrote:
    I let it idle for 1 min, then don't let her over 2k RPM until the temp needle is where it should be.

The water temp gauge in most cars is a poor indicator of engine temp. Usually it will take 10mins of "normal" driving for the oil to reach working temp of around 80deg and achieve optimum viscosity. The water temp will display warm after 2-3mins and the oil can still be sub 40deg.

I don't know about idling damaging your engine - sounds like German emmissions control tosh - I've never seen that in a car manual.
    Best practice is to take it easy (revs wise) on the engine for the first 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Nope, I usually get in and move off straight away. The way I drive it then depends on how late i am for the train.:D 174K miles later and she still runs like clock-work!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

I move off straight away but will not accelerate harshly or floor it until she's up to temp (88 degrees).

I have an oil and coolant sensor in my boat and car (Look's a bit naff in a 3 series but I like to know what's going on in my engine - Would like to fit a boost gauge but a bit too chav I think - but have one installed on the marine engine)
    stevec wrote:
    Depends on the oil that is in the engine and also the outside temp.

The water temp gauge in most cars is a poor indicator of engine temp. Usually it will take 10mins of "normal" driving for the oil to reach working temp of around 80deg and achieve optimum viscosity. The water temp will display warm after 2-3mins and the oil can still be sub 40deg.

I don't know about idling damaging your engine - sounds like German emmissions control tosh - I've never seen that in a car manual.
    Best practice is to take it easy (revs wise) on the engine for the first 10 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

JohnCleary wrote:
    I have an oil and coolant sensor in my boat and car (Look's a bit naff in a 3 series but I like to know what's going on in my engine - Would like to fit a boost gauge but a bit too chav I think - but have one installed on the marine engine)

Sorry - I wasn't criticising you in any way. You obviously know more than most about engines.
    I was just pointing out the fact that most people incorrectly believe that an engine is up to temperature when the water temp gauge says so.

Nothing naff about a proper oil temp gauge in the car - I have one.

Marine diesels are a different story - they most certainly should be allowed to reach working temp before going above 1k revs - they don't suffer as much wear as auto diesels though because 90% of their life is at a constant RPM.

Ok well 2 - 3 min was a bit of an exagerration .. usually up to 1 minute.

Anywho , i checked my manual and it says - in c old weather or when the car has been sittin idle to let it warm up a bit and wait at least 10 seconds before driving off

stevec wrote:
    Sorry - I wasn't criticising you in any way. You obviously know more than most about engines.
    I was just pointing out the fact that most people incorrectly believe that an engine is up to temperature when the water temp gauge says so.

Nothing naff about a proper oil temp gauge in the car - I have one.

Marine diesels are a different story - they most certainly should be allowed to reach working temp before going above 1k revs - they don't suffer as much wear as auto diesels though because 90% of their life is at a constant RPM.

No offence taken etc etc :)

Marine engine's are a different story yeah - Spending most of their life at about 3/4 of WideOpenThrottle RPM ... They need to vary.

I understand where you're coming from thought re. coolant VS. oil temp. People presume their engine is ready to rock'n'roll just because their coolant temp is saying the engine is warm. Pitty most people forget about engine/gearbox/diff oil :o

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

My Golf manual says to drive off straight away but not to push it hard until the oil reaches temp (there's an oil temp display available on the dash). Doesn't mention being more damaging, but I've never seen a car manual say to idle it until warmed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I usually just head off straight away too, but i would have 30 seconds or so of seat belt, iPod etc... stuff before bailing.

On a similar note, when you turn the key and the dashboard lights come on is it necessary to always wait until they go out before gunning the engine? I always wait but im not sure why i do it, i just remember always doing it since i started driving. Is there any benefit or wha?

Gunning Head

Head wrote:
    I usually just head off straight away too, but i would have 30 seconds or so of seat belt, iPod etc... stuff before bailing.

On a similar note, when you turn the key and the dashboard lights come on is it necessary to always wait until they go out before gunning the engine? I always wait but im not sure why i do it, i just remember always doing it since i started driving. Is there any benefit or wha?

Gunning Head

There's a light on the 320d and the manual (And people on forums) state that you shouldnt start the car until the light goes out. Something like 'DDE' it says, something about engine management.

Out of habit I always wait until the light's go out (because of the DDE light) before starting the engine

If it's cold, you should wait for the pre-heat (diesel only) to go out, besides that it doesn't matter (ABS Airbag etc..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I leave mine to warm up for about 5-10 minutes. Since my car has a carburettor, it can be very sluggish when cold, plus when the gearbox is cold, it has a tendency of not going into 2nd gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

It's widely accepted that it is better to drive your car gentley until it warms up, rather than leave it sitting idling - so that's what I do. The only idling I do on purpose is to let my turbo cool down after driving for about 30seconds to a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I love these comments coming from people who say that warming a car up does more damage to the car than driving it and have nothing more than a passat owners manual to back it up. How exactly can an engine running at 1400rpm do more damage to a car than an engine running at 2500rpm under load? Why do rally and race cars let their oil temp reach a decent temperature before driving their cars?

I personally never let my skyline out of the driveway until the oil temp gauge reads 80 degrees, usually takes about 10 minutes idleing. My daily driver I drive straight from the driveway cold.

Advertisement