Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some feedback

Options
  • 03-09-2007 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hiya guys,

I am hoping you can give me some feedback. I am a kitchen designer and am thinking of going out freelance. Do ye think that this is a service that people would avail of.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 limerickbuild

hi
    i think its a good idea.
    1 question approx how much would you charge for this service?
    I did use B&Q to give me a basic kitchen layout to know what would and would not fit in my kitchen space.
    however they were not flexible with corner units etc..
    I am now going through some kitchen providers in the area to see what they will come up with.
    Also knowing what the checklist of units you should have in your kitchen.. again B&Q didn't put in drawers for cutlery, ask me where i'd put kettle/toaster etc....
    there can be plenty of things you don't think when the shops are asking you about types of wood, worktops and equipment.. all sales.. .
    Good luck with your venture!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you have a reasonable job at the moment I would give yourself plenty of time to think about this. Designing kitchens is one thing, running a business is quite another. Do you have a suitable computer and software, or will you have to invest. Do you have a place where you can work, bring people into if necessary to discuss plans. You can't do it on the kitchen table - unless you have a showhouse apartment that will be an advertisement for you. You will have to have a landline that is only answered in a professional way.

How will you look for business. While you are on the road selling yourself, and also making out invoices, phoning for the fifth time nagging people to pay their bills, nagging suppliers to supply, researching new products etc, you are not actually designing kitchens.

You will need a brass neck, a persuasive tongue, confidence in your ability and the patience to cope with people who can't make their mind up on your time, rather than your boss's. You will also need an accountant.

Been there, got the tee shirt. Gave the tee-shirt back and now gratefully take a salary cheque.

Best of luck to you, being self-employed has lots of advantages, but be sure its for you before you give up the day job. :)

Advertisement