Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right time to buy a 360?

• 03-09-2007 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

Have the money for a 360, was looking in Smyths and they have Xbox 360 Pro with Gears of War for €350.

Is this a decent deal? Will there be a new version of the 360 out soon?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The Elite is already out!! Its around 450 with a free game or two!!

I would get the Elite if you have the funds TBH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

jonny24ie wrote:
    The Elite is already out!! Its around 450 with a free game or two!!

I would get the Elite if you have the funds TBH!!

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Don't know too much about the 360's as my PS2 and DS has done me up until now. Are the extra features that come with the Elite version a must or just a nice bonus?

Won't be storing much data on the HDD only games saves etc, is the visual output the same on both models or does the elites new HDMI cable give it an advantage over the old interlaced ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

keen wrote:
    Won't be storing much data on the HDD only games saves etc

you'll find that the 20gp on the pro fills up pretty quickly if you have it connected to xbox live, something that you simply have to do if you want to get the full experience of the 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

wait, its 350 for premium and 2 games? might get that !
    elite seems too expensive guys, just for more harddrive space and hdmi - does this mean i will never have a proper official output for HD resolutions if i was to get an HD TV in the future?

also what use is hard drive? storing live games?
    dont think il be chipping mine cause il be using live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Never had trouble with 20gb of space, I've a good few demos and videos on it. I just clean it up every so often and delete stuff I never use.

EDIT:You can get a "proper" HD signal from the component or VGA leads on the 360. Only thing you might be missing is that some TV's don't support 1080p over these connections, but alot do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

The Xtravision deal, if its still around, is the one I got and it was great. Definitely recommend this awesome console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Wait a few weeks and pick up one of the HDMI enabled premiums that are starting to filter through the system. That way you get the same mainboard as the elite and all of it's benefits without the extra cost (and without the 120gb hdd that you may not need).

The offers are only going to get better, there will probably be some sweet bundle deals when HALO 3 comes out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Nice one for the info lads.

From what I've gathered (correct me if I'm wrong) the Elite model has a better visual output but nothing I would really notice playing it on a 32" flat screen.

Read a few reviews over lunch and that's what was generally being said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

keen wrote:
    Nice one for the info lads.

From what I've gathered (correct me if I'm wrong) the Elite model has a better visual output but nothing I would really notice playing it on a 32" flat screen.

Read a few reviews over lunch and that's what was generally being said.

If you aren't concerned about having lots of HDD space (more than you will ever use) and not having HDMI (Not that important unless you have a TV that displays 1080p) then get the Pro/Premium.

Its just a gimmick tbh.

Very few people will actually benefit from the extra features on the Elite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Wait a few weeks and pick up one of the HDMI enabled premiums that are starting to filter through the system. That way you get the same mainboard as the elite and all of it's benefits without the extra cost (and without the 120gb hdd that you may not need).

The offers are only going to get better, there will probably be some sweet bundle deals when HALO 3 comes out

I read somewhere that it could take 6 months for the Premiums with the HDMI to filter through to the shops, has anyone heard any different?

Snake ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The halo 3 version is out on the 26th (€30 more expensive than the premium iirc) so hopefully it won't take 6 months for them to arrive. Mind you, that's not saying that shops won't try and shift their old premiums first.

I'd wait/go for a hdmi equipped 360 purely for the mainboard revision and the (supposed) increased reliability that will bring. The HDMI is a nice bonus.

its 30 pounds more expensive, 44 euros, 10+ bonus from irish shops, id say a 50 euro increase there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭That Guy 901

Placebo wrote:
    wait, its 350 for premium and 2 games? might get that !
    elite seems too expensive guys, just for more harddrive space and hdmi - does this mean i will never have a proper official output for HD resolutions if i was to get an HD TV in the future?

also what use is hard drive? storing live games?
    dont think il be chipping mine cause il be using live

You can go on live when you flash your xbox, the new firmware is out which allows you to do this. Check my sig for details.

And yes the only difference between the Premium and Elite is the shiney new black case, HDMi connections in the back and the (IMO) unnecessarily large HDD.

I wouldn't risk flashing your new premium or elite, certainly not till after Halo 3 comes out, MS can be very sneaky as they were with the last live ban. And I'm sure they will do something to put people off flashing their boxes.

Snake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i got mine in currys, 460Euro for 360 and also a game !!! Good thing is that ya can get cover, 90 euro for 3 years , This means if it breaks i will get a brand new one , it covers accidental damage and theft up to one year! worth it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

robdcu wrote:
    i got mine in currys, 460Euro for 360 and also a game !!! Good thing is that ya can get cover, 90 euro for 3 years , This means if it breaks i will get a brand new one , it covers accidental damage and theft up to one year! worth it!!!

Eh, M$ will replace it for free within 3 years

yeah but not accidental damage!!!!!!

Robdcu you can get your money back on those insurances, not very good I mean your 360 will sit under the TV and even if you spill water into it you can claim from your home insurance, as pointed out if you get 3 rings of death u can send it back to MS. I took it out on a TV thinking that it would cover me for dead pixels, Rang mastercare and cancelled policy got cheque back two weeks later.

Snake ;)

Ya but im bringin it to college!!! so im preparing for the worst!! i cant claim off my house insurance if that happens...

Just wondering what insurance companys will cover the 360 , what does it cover against

what if drops it though !!!! ;)
    jkn, never had enough money to insure anything !

• Advertisement

just remember it only covers theft for the first 12 months, if you do a search on boards and askabout money for mastercare you can find more info, read the small print in the contract.

Snake ;)

i know that!!! thats why i said it covers theft for 12 months!!!

Advertisement