Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scars

Options
  • 03-09-2007 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

right, i just saw something about scars and vitamin e and biosomething or other oil on another thread, and it got me thinking...

as ye know, im getting my polar bear done on thursday, probably on my left shoulder, though, to be honest, im not really all that mad on the idea of it being there.

darren had said maybe on my inner upper arm, (the piece, he said, will be about the size of his hand), but im not mad on the idea of the tattoo there, ive got flabby, pasty arms, which i usually keep covered up. i was thinking maaaybe my left hip. think the place just above the trouser line, the place where you'd put your hands on your hips if you were being cross/angry/taking the píss of mam...

i really like the idea of it being there... though.. my hips are a somewhat... irregular shape. still, i do like the idea. but is it all that possible? i have a scar going from the top of my hip to the top of my thigh, ugly purple yoke, the tattoo would probably have to go over it... is that possible/advisable? also, towards the front of my hip, i have a kinda indent/dimple type thing, basically, during the surgery and stuff, i had a pin there keeping my hips in place... so there's a slight indent where the tattoo might go too.

so... can it be done? what do ye think? opinions and stuff please :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

all depends on whether the tattooist (darren) is willing to do it over a scar. It is possible of course but basically its down to the artist whether they will or not.
    Also how raised the scar is, you said its purple so i presume its still newish on your body.

if you arent happy with the placement dont do it, if you have any doubt at all in your mind. its for life. whats another year or two to let the scar heal better... just a thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

haha, had the scar since i was a toddler. had dislocated hips twice as a baby (apparently if my first child is a girl, it's almost guaranteed she'll have to go through the same thing), and the wound got infected. so it's a little raised, and still purple, but most certainly not recovering any further at this stage :D

so i can get a tattoo over a scar anyway?

there's nothing wrong with it being on my back... it doesnt really fit anywhere else... but i would kinda prefer it somewhere a little more visible for me, and i think the shape would work around my hip as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

best thing to do is go ask darren, see what he says. you can get all the aadvice in the world here but in the end itl bouil down to whether he wants to do it or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Not sure on the scar thing but if I were you I'd push out my appointment to get the tattoo...

If you're not sure where you want it then don't go for it until you're sure.

You don't want to end up with it somewhere you didn't want it and resenting it...

What's another couple of weeks to be sure when you could end up with it somewhere you don't want for the rest of your life?

kewlies, i just hate goin in there not knowin shít... so i can at least ask here first, instead of coming across as a complete dumass on thursday. im not very much a people person :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I beg to differ, I think you are, but thats beside the point!

What about your OTHER hip...?

also scarred and dimpled.

and nah, youre just lucky i was drunk first time i met you, then conversed via text/msn afterwards. helped having john there though :D

I've got "tiger stripes" myself... ;):D

Stretchmarks right around my stomach and back, down the insides of my arms and under my arms, all from when I was sick

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Sounds like the same place I have mine from a pin as well!!

Is the other hip as bad?? Dont think I would really like the idea of getting one done over mine as its still a bit raised up and would be afraid it would come out funny with the indented bit but thats just me :)

other hip's not as bad..still the scar, but twas my left side that got infected while healing so that's worse. though i do have a *thing* about my left side. i prefer to keep most of my piercings/tattoos on the left. especially this piece. if the artist wont do my hip, or has a good reason as to why it wouldnt look good there, ill get it done on my shoulder, as it's the only other place id put it.

• Advertisement

What about on your left cheek? ;):p

o_O

True, as if you need an excuse to show people your bum... :D:p

O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Forearm? It's where i got my mew! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Forearm? It's where i got my mew! :D

nah, it's not really the right shape for a forearm... plus... work and stuff.. you know how difficult it is...

and given the whole emigration thing, plus depending on getting a work visa in a coupla years... im gonna be an angel til then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

The thigh is a fabulous canvas. Use it wisely.

I have to say though, it hurts like no other pain on the world, getting a tattoo there. I didn't think it would because it's so fleshy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

dont say that!im getting some on the back of mine in the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

The thigh is a fabulous canvas. Use it wisely.

I have to say though, it hurts like no other pain on the world, getting a tattoo there. I didn't think it would because it's so fleshy.
    Hmm... if things work out as I hope I should be getting one there this December, I'll let you know if it hurts as much as the spine.

• Advertisement

i have to add, the hip hurt a lot more than anticipated... not all of it, just now and then he'd hit on a spot and it'd take me by surprise and id have to wince, or suck my lip ring really hard :D

while on the topic of scars... one thing to note is that the scar tissue rises up a bit immediately after the piercing. goes back down to normal and stuff, just piece of information for anyone who might be browsing the thread with a similar issue.

got the polar bear's head in the dimple i mentioned earlier, tis awesome.

Advertisement