Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comments on This System . . .

Options
  • 03-09-2007 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Thoughts on proposed system below.
    It's for engineering calcs/CAD/DBase/general office use :-

PC Home Build Specifications Cost (€)
    ITEM Description Komplett Cost
    Hardware
    Case 43
    Power Supply 500 W 95
    Motherboard ATX 130
    CPU AMD AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8GHz Socket AM2 2MB 135
    RAM 2 x 2048 MB ( Space for 8 GB) 170
    HD1 Internal. 83
    HD2 External. 130
    DVD-RW Decent brand 40
    Graphics Card 256 MB 62
    Network Router Linksys 60
    Monitor 17" LCD 200
    Keyboard & Mouse Wireless 30
    Speakers Basic 30

Software
    OS Vista 183
    Utility Software Office 2007 Home 150

Any views on the CPU chosen ?
    Ought I wait for a newer AMD CPU ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

dunno what a .xls file is in your attachment, but I cant view it. You only wrote down how much each component costs - u didnt write down the names or the model numbers etc. so cud be any old crap ur putting in.

U kinda need more detail on what the components are.
    I would advise you to get an Intel quad core tho instead of that AMD, cuz the Quad Core would out perform it by miles especially if you're using it for engineering cals and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

.xls = Excel document ;)

You don't really need the KIS 6 software unless you are in the line of fire with viruses on daily basis or need a firewall without outbound control, the default firewall in Windows will suffice if sitting behind a NAT router and Avast as anti-viruses works well plus it's free.

Everything else looks okay the monitor is a little low on resolution I thought for that kind of work you'd want something with a high enough resolution. If you don't mind it being VGA only you can get a 20" widescreen with 1680x1050 display for €200 same price as the 17".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Whitey,

Is it that one that you mean ?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=330169

It's €255. €120 more than the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 2 MB cache.
    Is the performance increment worth that much more ?
    Was looking for a benchmarking page on Anand and Tom's Hardware but failed to find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

thats the one. its just the 2mb cache slows down the other processor - the quad core has 8mb cache. even if u were to go for a dual core rather than quad core, it wud still be better I wud have thought

like this one (only 40 squid more and ud defo notice the difference)

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338082

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

buy the OEM copy of Vista and save yerself a few bob.

• Advertisement
Advertisement